Well, ranking the conference got harder or not?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This round-robin play is so much fun. Now we'll see how OU handles Texas or doesn't, and if ISU can stand the headlines for more than a few days. TCU comes to Manhattan as a top 10 frog, not dog. And top 25 TxT visits WVU, a team that will either pounce on the raider horse, as I expect, or fold like a sinking ship deck chair. Baylor goes to Stillwater in what could be a plains shootout!

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I haven't watched all of the teams, but the thing with TCU is they seem solid on both sides of the ball, kind of balanced as opposed to teams with either a good offense (OU) or a good defense (maybe Texa$, hard to tell with our play calling). OU obviously has defense issues and the fan base wants Mike Stoops ran out of town yesterday.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
About Mike Stoops....there was a game a couple years back vs Baylor. He had their corners giving Baylor a 8 yard cushion, and Seth Russel(?) led a drive of basically nothing but 8 yard out routes over and over. Crowd in Norman was booing. An OU corner swung his arm in protest towards the sideline as to say this is a gutless ******** defense. Pretty sure the mic on the sideline also picked up some of his comments. The fanbase has been ready to axe mike for quite some time, but that Baylor showing was pathetic. Did OU even try to blitz more than a handful of times? Just seems scared to do anything aggressive.

That Delton guy for K-state already looks like he's going to be a pain in the ass, especially since ISU doesn't play them until the finale. He'll have taken plenty of live snaps by then. I'm preemptively saying that guy can go to hell. He'll probably dagger ISU the next 3 F'n years. Man I hate K-state.

if OU runs the table, they'll have plenty of top 25 wins, and 11 legit D-1 opponents on the resume. In that scenario, ISU going 7-5 would go a ways towards helping OU's case. I don't think they run the table from here out. TCU is known for packing a defense on the road and being a road warrior.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Is TCU the Big 12's only remaining chance for the playoff? They just don't look all that great to me for some reason?

OU is still the most talented team IMO. I can't believe what a poor game plan they had yesterday against us, but I loved it. I feel like they could've ran it down our throats all day long, but it was like they wanted to inflate Mayfield's numbers for the Heisman instead, so they kept passing, passing, and passing.

I was shocked that they were not running the ball. We could not stop their backs in the first half.That is what Iowa does to us. Maybe they got rattled a little bit with fumble on hand off.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Anyone who doesn't have Baylor/KU 9/10 is wrong.

(said this last week, just had to gloat for those who disagreed)

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If OU wins out that means wins over tOSU, OSU, Texas, WVU, and TCU. Also means a second win over OSU or TCU. Unless there are four undefeated teams left in football, they should be in.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
With what we've seen from OU so far in conference play, is be surprised if they win out. Their schedule works out in their favor, but there is at least a loss it two yet to come.
Nothing in their conference play so far gives me any confidence that they can run the table...giving up 41 to Baylor and 38 to ISU is not exactly the Oklahoma of the 80's and 90's. Their defense has to step up or they are going to take at least 1-2 additional losses.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
The round robin is fun to watch, but even with the championship game, I can't help but think it's going to hurt the conference again this year. Some SEC team with 4 fairly easy non-con games will get to dodge a few good teams and get in that last spot with 2 losses.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
That Delton guy for K-state already looks like he's going to be a pain in the ass, especially since ISU doesn't play them until the finale. He'll have taken plenty of live snaps by then. I'm preemptively saying that guy can go to hell. He'll probably dagger ISU the next 3 F'n years. Man I hate K-state.
Rumor has it that Jesse Ertz is under the knife this week for knee surgery. Probably out at least a month. So, one would think there goes State's chance at a run with TCU and OU next up.

Delton is a 4x100 guy. But so was Ertz. And Jesse has a far better arm. We'll see how it plays out against the frogs Saturday in Manhattan. K-State is not good without a run game as has been shown all fall. Delton will fix that side in a hurry. But can he keep 8-9 out of the box?

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Rumor has it that Jesse Ertz is under the knife this week for knee surgery. Probably out at least a month. So, one would think there goes State's chance at a run with TCU and OU next up.

This just means that Ertz will be back exactly in time to play against ISU and lead them to a heroic, BS, one-possession win. Just like every single time an ISU opponent has a critical injury during the season and every single time ISU plays KSU.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not enamored with OU's defense or their coaching. The fair is going to be very interesting next week. It's played after they know what happens to the Frogs in Manhattan, which adds even more intrigue to the outcome.

UT found their QB last night. The kid showed a lot of football moxie and leadership. And Texas is as talented otherwise as any of the others, methinks.
Not to take anything away from our boys, but when I watched the replay it just felt like OU thought they could stroll out there and go through the motions and beat this team. With that all time record it would be easy to do. There were so many things that they just did stupidly like the piling on penalty - trying to hurt "an inferior team" rather than just taking care of business and getting the win.

I think OU is better than they played on Saturday, but I agree that their secondary is suspect.

As far as coaching goes, I saw some of the same things on Saturday that we have seen from OU in the past. The reliance on their superior skill rather than a great game plan - (Where was Flowers in the second half?) and trying to get a big play on a couple of trick plays to break the opponent's will early.

• Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
That was the classic 'trap game' that people like to talk about. ISU a 4 touch dog playing with it's third string QB, and OU probably focused on the Red River crossing next week. ISU is way better than to be taken for granted as shown in Norman. Sooners got what their heads gave them, a beating.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
OU has a win @ Ohio State though. The committee showed they don't care about "quality losses" when they put in Ohio State (lost to a 6-6 Virginia Tech team) over TCU (lost @ 11-1 Baylor in the last minute of the game with several bad pass interference calls going against them in the last few minutes of the game) Oklahoma's loss to us will probably be on par with Ohio State's loss to Virginia Tech that year. If this loss was at the end of the season, I think they'd be out. They have a lot of huge games to get back into the playoff picture. I will be surprised if OU loses again.
The committee showed nothing other than wanting to get Ohio State in the playoffs. The goalposts move depending on team. When TCU lost at BU after a bogus call at the last second the reaction by the committee clearly suggested how you lost made no difference. Last year when Michigan lost at tOSU in OT the committee's actions clearly said the manner in which you lost greatly mattered.
In other words, they are going to try their damnedest to get tOSU and Michigan. Same would probably be said for UT and maybe OU. The only precedent is wild inconsistency to jam in who they want.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Delton is a 4x100 guy. But so was Ertz. And Jesse has a far better arm. We'll see how it plays out against the frogs Saturday in Manhattan. K-State is not good without a run game as has been shown all fall. Delton will fix that side in a hurry. But can he keep 8-9 out of the box?

Not really disagreeing with you here, but Ertz was a great runner (and the teams leading rusher) so i'm not sure how Delton will "fix that side in a hurry".

You also said that Ertz has a far better arm, which would allow teams to load up in the box against Delton.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The round robin is fun to watch, but even with the championship game, I can't help but think it's going to hurt the conference again this year. Some SEC team with 4 fairly easy non-con games will get to dodge a few good teams and get in that last spot with 2 losses.
SEC team with 2 losses will not make it in. SEC East is terrible. No one denies the SEC is down this year. More likely GA and Alabama are undefeated playing in the conference title game and both get in . Or Auburns only loss is the iron bowl and they get in with Bama.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Not really disagreeing with you here, but Ertz was a great runner (and the teams leading rusher) so i'm not sure how Delton will "fix that side in a hurry".

You also said that Ertz has a far better arm, which would allow teams to load up in the box against Delton.
Ertz was not running the ball. That was why he finally took himself out of the Texas game, he was hurting too much to continue. Delton went in and ran the ball all over the place. But Alex doesn't throw the skin all that well. We'll see how he does v. TCU's defense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron