Stupid logo hate thread

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
On things like this I doubt one person makes all the decisions.

They certainly don't make all the decisions, but they make the final ones.

If there are that many people opposed, Occam's Razor suggests that there was a small number of powerful/influential people in favor.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
When it's something as significant as a secondary logo for your entire athletic department -- something that will be used on athletics wear, media, clothing, etc and that will be consumed by recruits, players, fans, alumni and therefore makes a significant imprint in your entire brand identity -- I'd hope they'd have acquired the services of a proven talent and focus-grouped it.

Instead they try to go cheap, get cute with the reveal, and release it to a huge thud. To roll it out on ESPN in a game in which we played lots of ugly football was the turd cherry.

Everything about this just screams of half-assed tomfoolery of a program chronically playing catch-up both within its own state and its athletic conference.

The idea of a Cyclone-themed secondary mark? Awesome; lots of us have been shouting that it needed to happen. The execution? Self-fulfilling little brother prophecy.

HOW could they have botched this so badly?

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Hurricane Cy head, boner Cy, 20 different shades of reddish maroon, and now this POS logo are why I've quit buying ISU apparel. Add the fact that I'm tall and my choices are limited and generally some off colored shirt with a crappy secondary logo is the only thing to fit me.

I've had better luck just buying a cardinal colored plain shirt or sweatshirt that are very close to the true color and where it with the one ISU hat that fits my head. The games I make it to are now super easy to get dressed for. If it's warm where the shirt, if it's cold put the sweatshirt on over the shirt.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Talked to someone who works for the university, and they claimed that the football staff, team, and even our marketing department all dislike it, and that the team will only use it if/when they're "forced" to.

Please let this be true. How can we join the resistance? By taking a knee during Sweet Caroline?

cynile

May 22, 2017
Timeless, and it was designed by a high school art teacher. ISU can do better.

I actually prefer the HCHS logo by a little, but I may be biased.

Harlan1.gif

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Talked to someone who works for the university, and they claimed that the football staff, team, and even our marketing department all dislike it, and that the team will only use it if/when they're "forced" to.

They didn't say any more than that, but reading between the lines this sounds like a unilateral Pollard thing. He has pretty bad taste in this sort of thing, and is just a real dork in general so I'm kind of making that assumption.

Classic!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

They didn't say any more than that, but reading between the lines this sounds like a unilateral Pollard thing. He has pretty bad taste in this sort of thing, and is just a real dork in general so I'm kind of making that assumption.
Yep, it has JP all over it. He's good at many things, but this type of stuff isn't his thing

• Agree
Reactions: Al_4_State

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Hopefully, this just falls to the wayside sort of like the other few "alt" logos that came out a few years ago. The only difference is that these were featured on a helmet, in front of a national television audience. The AD, if they so choose, could still save face and go back to the drawing board. Or, just slightly modernize a previous logo.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
What you don't have to spend a pile of money on a logo. I don't understand why ISU didn't go in house to maybe the design college or art dept and get the logo done. Would have saved a pile of cash and been better.

Yeah, why not have a contest through the Iowa State Daily allowing people to vote (restricting multiple vote loopholes of course) on student/alumni submissions?

• Agree
Reactions: GM4ISU

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I found something humorous this morning. I printed a picture of the helmet and uniform and took it to my graphic artists in the Marketing dept this morning. Without prefacing why I brought it to them I set it down in front of three of them. The gasps from two of them were audible, followed by "oh that's awful". They're not "football people" but they are good graphic design people. They immediately started with questions of "why?". Why did they go red on red? Why did they use such a simplified triangle tornado? Why wouldn't they attempt something more in keeping with past designs?

I think I laughed the most when the two ladies said "Why the gray pants, who dresses your people?"

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I found something humorous this morning. I printed a picture of the helmet and uniform and took it to my graphic artists in the Marketing dept this morning. Without prefacing why I brought it to them I set it down in front of three of them. The gasps from two of them were audible, followed by "oh that's awful". They're not "football people" but they are good graphic design people. They immediately started with questions of "why?". Why did they go red on red? Why did they use such a simplified triangle tornado? Why wouldn't they attempt something more in keeping with past designs?

I think I laughed the most when the two ladies said "Why the gray pants, who dresses your people?"

Out of curiosity, can you ask them to spend 5-10 minutes on a Cyclone design and post it here? It can either be something totally new or a revamp of this current one. I bet they can do better in less than 10 minutes than what we got.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Yeah, why not have a contest through the Iowa State Daily allowing people to vote (restricting multiple vote loopholes of course) on student/alumni submissions?
Duh, because then we couldn't have a surprise reveal video...

• Funny
Reactions: CYCLNST8

ankenycyclone

Jul 23, 2008
Iowa

Heard the same thing from a former player.