Mayweather McGregor Fight

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I didn't watch the fight or think much of it, but I did see a couple minutes of their weigh-in.
When I saw McGregor jawing like a crazy person, I assumed he was already done.

He does that right before he demolishes MMA opponents too though. His entrance was drastically more humble and subdued than normal...which I don't know if that was an attempt to be respectful to boxing fans or a sign that he was uncharacteristically nervous/scared.

I was a little saddened to see race baiting articles about this fight, some even acting as if there was white supremacy involved. It would be out of character if he wasn't acting like he did leading up to the fight.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneErik

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Not sure how much this does for Floyd's legacy. His bank account? Definitely. But he basically let a novice take him 10 rounds, winning several of those rounds.

He came out of RETIREMENT to be about 3 punches short of knocking out a MMA champ in his prime who was saved from the KO by the ref. Legacy and bank account safe.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This was a boxing match - how did Mayweather prove he wouldn't last in the octagon? Did he try for a single leg take down and it didn't work?
Stoppage wasn't too early. Connor had is gloves down for a solid 30 seconds and was wobbling. Would you rather let him take 5-10 more clean hits to the head before you declared him "beat"? I'll trust a hall of fame ref over some dude on his couch.

Really? In a boxing ring, all Mayweather has to concern himself with are "legal" boxing punches. In MMA, boxing is just one element. He'd also have to defend against punches that aren't legal in boxing (the punches the ref had to warn McGregor against last night), as well as kickboxing, not to mention defending against styles such as Muay Thai (which also has to defend against elbows and knees) and grappling and submissions from styles such as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Defending against and implementing all of that is McGregor's world and Mayweather proved last night he could never survive that environment - which is why he'll never set foot in an octagon. The way he defensed, ducked, and ran from McGregor last night would get him killed in MMA, as it's open season on an opponent that tries to pull that.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Enough with the "Connor would kill him in MMA". Well Connor challenged Mayweather to a boxing match, not an mma fight. Mayweather never said he was an mma fighter. The fight was also stopped about the same as any other boxing match. There have been several deaths the last few years in boxing. Connor had his hands down, was not fighting back, and the greatest fighter ever ( in somes opinion) was punching the crap out of him. The ref did exactly what he was supposed and protected the fighter. This was not mma rules where they let it go longer. These were boxing rules. The real fight is coming up with Canello vs GGG.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Didn't like the fight that much. Much better than the Pacquiao fight but still not good. Mayweather showed he'd be out in less than 30 seconds in MMA. One thing I thought played a big role was Mayweather ducking and turning whenever McGregor got momentum going. The stoppage was early. It probably wasn't long from happening but you can't stop a fight that early.

The big thing is the scorecards.

There is no way that you could put these scores out with a straight face. McGregor clearly won the first three rounds. I also gave him the fourth. Then I lost my stream so I'm not sure. Boxing can't be successful with their officiating issues.

He was only winning that fight by knock, that's for sure. Not having him winning all of the first 3 is asinine and he had to have won one of the next 3. It doesn't matter but boxing was protecting boxing. Can you imagine if those scores ended up mattering?

Anyway, that was fun. At the end of the day it's about entertainment and I was entertained.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He took a few shots that sent him back into the ropes. That's it. If you think it's the ref's job to "save him the embarrassment of being knocked down" you really have no clue what you're talking about. He was nowhere close to being "out on his feet" the entire fight.

I don't think it mattered but it was stopped a little early. CM said afterward that he gets wobbly when he gets tired and that's true. It happened in Diaz 2 and he recovered. He wasn't recovering last night but it was early.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Enough with the "Connor would kill him in MMA". Well Connor challenged Mayweather to a boxing match, not an mma fight. Mayweather never said he was an mma fighter. The fight was also stopped about the same as any other boxing match. There have been several deaths the last few years in boxing. Connor had his hands down, was not fighting back, and the greatest fighter ever ( in somes opinion) was punching the crap out of him. The ref did exactly what he was supposed and protected the fighter. This was not mma rules where they let it go longer. These were boxing rules. The real fight is coming up with Canello vs GGG.

Stoppage was fine.

It's ridiculous to say people can't discuss and debate how the fight would have gone in the octagon. That's a big part of why this was such a spectacle. McGregor proved he could hang but that he'd have a long way to go to be a true boxing contender. Mayweather's fighting style did not suggest he'd do well in MMA. Someone like Frazier or Tyson would have a style that suggests they'd do well in their MMA weight class much more than FM, not a knock on him, just very little about the way he fights screams that he'd dominate in MMA.

Saying we can't talk about how Mayweather would do in MMA is no different than discussions on here about how Deonte Burton or Royce White would do on a football field or how Lanning is going to do playing linebacker. Why even have a sports board if we can't talk about things like that?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He was only winning that fight by knock, that's for sure. Not having him winning all of the first 3 is asinine and he had to have won one of the next 3. It doesn't matter but boxing was protecting boxing. Can you imagine if those scores ended up mattering?

Anyway, that was fun. At the end of the day it's about entertainment and I was entertained.

I don't see how everyone doesn't agree on both of these points. Both seem pretty crystal clear. It's not like there aren't more traditional boxing matchups all the time if people demand more of the same.

I am glad it didn't end up being a decision because the early scoring was some eastern block soviet era olympic scoring.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I was just hoping that as it became clear that Mayweather was going to win that McGregor would just hit him with a few knees to take him out. Might have cost him some money, but it would have been worth it for branding. He's never going to box again, so might as well go out fighting.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
It's no secret that boxing scoring is atrocious. But McGregor wasn't winning that fight by decision. He would have lost 9 rounds to 3 if that continues.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's no secret that boxing scoring is atrocious. But McGregor wasn't winning that fight by decision. He would have lost 9 rounds to 3 if that continues.

What's the point in even talking about scoring when they were ready to fix the first 3 rounds before he started losing? It still is a bad taste. Boxing could have picked up more MMA fans if they hadn't done that.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
What's the point in even talking about scoring when they were ready to fix the first 3 rounds before he started losing? It still is a bad taste. Boxing could have picked up more MMA fans if they hadn't done that.

What do you mean by fixing the first 3 rounds?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

One guy had FM winning all of them and another had him winning 2. He didn't win any and while they weren't 10-8 round because there wasn't damage, CM clearly won them. Those two scorecards are indefensible and just speaking for myself, makes it really hard to want anything to do with that sport. This was a chance, perhaps, for boxing to gain at least some casual fans, but if that's how they do things, I'm out.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The scores of the first three rounds. The judges gave round 2 and 3 to Mayweather when he barely threw a punch. To say Mayweather won the fight through 3 rounds is either a fix or it means boxing has the most idiotic scoring in all of sports, it'd be like basketball players getting more points for missed shots than made shots.

Fortunately it played out where it didn't matter, but still, how can you expect MMA fans to ever watch another second of boxing when they see something like that?

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Exactly my point. This was a boxing match.

You miss the point completely. All Mayweather knows is boxing. Boxing is just a fraction of what McGregor knows. If Mayweather tries to turn an MMA fight into a boxing match he'd have his ass handed back to him on a silver platter. Once McGregor gets Mayweather onto the mat and on top of him (something Mayweather doesn't have to worry about in boxing) McGregor would either beat Mayweather in a submission hold or would beat the living hell out of him. You cannot duck and run in the octagon the way Mayweather does in the ring - that will get you killed.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You miss the point completely. All Mayweather knows is boxing. Boxing is just a fraction of what McGregor knows. If Mayweather tries to turn an MMA fight into a boxing match he'd have his ass handed back to him on a silver platter. Once McGregor gets Mayweather onto the mat and on top of him (something Mayweather doesn't have to worry about in boxing) McGregor would either beat Mayweather in a submission hold or would beat the living hell out of him. You cannot duck and run in the octagon the way Mayweather does in the ring - that will get you killed.

I'm a boxing fan and I don't like Mayweather. Many boxing fans don't because while he is an elite defensive boxer, his style lends to boring fights that are almost all decisions. I have no doubt that he would lose to McGregor under MMA rules in the first round. BUT, a more offensive puncher like GGG would have McGregor or any other MMA guy on the mat within the first few minutes. MMA guys do not have the defense to withstand that kind of punching power and quickness. Guys like GGG and Canelo are masters of landing power punches against guys that are trained to defend against them.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm a boxing fan and I don't like Mayweather. Many boxing fans don't because while he is an elite defensive boxer, his style lends to boring fights that are almost all decisions. I have no doubt that he would lose to McGregor under MMA rules in the first round. BUT, a more offensive puncher like GGG would have McGregor or any other MMA guy on the mat within the first few minutes. MMA guys do not have the defense to withstand that kind of punching power and quickness. Guys like GGG and Canelo are masters of landing power punches against guys that are trained to defend against them.

Kind of hard to land punches when you're flat on your back and your opponent is straddling your chest - something a boxer won't be able to defend against when all they're trained to do is defend themselves above the waist. See, you keep thinking under the assumption that an MMA fighter is going to fight the boxer according to boxing rules and attack the boxer's strength - which is far from the case. They're going to hit the boxer with the stuff the boxer isn't trained to defend, and then it's all over for the boxer.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Kind of hard to land punches when you're flat on your back and your opponent is straddling your chest - something a boxer won't be able to defend against when all they're trained to do is defend themselves above the waist. See, you keep thinking under the assumption that an MMA fighter is going to fight the boxer according to boxing rules and attack the boxer's strength - which is far from the case. They're going to hit the boxer with the stuff the boxer isn't trained to defend, and then it's all over for the boxer.

I think he was saying that GGG would take CM out in the first round if they were in a boxing match. No boxer would stand a chance of lasting a round, or even just a few minutes, against an MMA guy in the Octagon.