Mayweather McGregor Fight

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
This was a boxing match - how did Mayweather prove he wouldn't last in the octagon? Did he try for a single leg take down and it didn't work?
Stoppage wasn't too early. Connor had is gloves down for a solid 30 seconds and was wobbling. Would you rather let him take 5-10 more clean hits to the head before you declared him "beat"? I'll trust a hall of fame ref over some dude on his couch.

In an MMA fight every time Floyd was being hit with a series of punches and dropped his head he'd be begging for Conor to put him in a guillotine choke. Or he'd walk into a knee. Every time Floyd turned his back he'd be begging for a rear naked. Being that he dropped his head a lot and turned his back (more then he should have been allowed by boxing rules) Floyd wouldnt stand a chance in an MMA fight with that approach.

And before you say that it would be a diff fight diff rules so Floyd wouldnt do that. I disagree. Instinct takes over. It is why Conor had to fight the urge to throw hammer fists. There would be no ref to save Floyd in a clinch and that is where an MMA fighter lives

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
You miss the point completely. All Mayweather knows is boxing. Boxing is just a fraction of what McGregor knows. If Mayweather tries to turn an MMA fight into a boxing match he'd have his ass handed back to him on a silver platter. Once McGregor gets Mayweather onto the mat and on top of him (something Mayweather doesn't have to worry about in boxing) McGregor would either beat Mayweather in a submission hold or would beat the living hell out of him. You cannot duck and run in the octagon the way Mayweather does in the ring - that will get you killed.

Based on last night I wouldn't say McGregor knows boxing. At least not at the level to be a pro. This was an exhibition money grab and both sides knew McGregor had no chance to win that fight.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
In an MMA fight every time Floyd was being hit with a series of punches and dropped his head he'd be begging for Conor to put him in a guillotine choke. Or he'd walk into a knee. Every time Floyd turned his back he'd be begging for a rear naked. Being that he dropped his head a lot and turned his back (more then he should have been allowed by boxing rules) Floyd wouldnt stand a chance in an MMA fight with that approach.

And before you say that it would be a diff fight diff rules so Floyd wouldnt do that. I disagree. Instinct takes over. It is why Conor had to fight the urge to throw hammer fists. There would be no ref to save Floyd in a clinch and that is where an MMA fighter lives
I don't know who you guys are arguing with? No one disagrees that a 26 yr old McGregor would destroy a 40 year old boxer in the octagon.

My point is that some people are using techniques that happened in a BOXING MATCH to determine how Mayweather would fight in an MMA bout. You really think Mayweather would turn his back in the octagon?! Apples to oranges.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think he was saying that GGG would take CM out in the first round if they were in a boxing match. No boxer would stand a chance of lasting a round, or even just a few minutes, against an MMA guy in the Octagon.

Exactly.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So basically if someone likes MMA better they'll be in McGregor's corner no matter what, and someone who likes boxing more is going to be in it for Mayweather.

Both guys came off as goons with too much money in the midst of all the hype...glad I didn't pay or watch.

This stuff with the flooding in Houston reminded me of so many people that are going to lose pretty much everything they have while someone's getting $100 million to fight. Pretty gross.

• Funny
Reactions: dcorbatt

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You can't survive in MMA if you don't know how to wrestle. And it helps if you can kick. Pretty much no one picks up wrestling when they are older. It's something that most guys start at a really young age. You have a good wrestler that can punch and you have the makings of an MMA fighter. Boxers train to box from a young age usually and there's no reason to worry about submission holds or what to do if someone's on top of you.

What I don't get is all these MMA fans that are screaming boxing is trash or boxing is dead. I'll give you that the scoring is sometimes messed up and maybe even crooked at times, but it's still a great sport to watch. Making any kind of assumption based on a 40 yo Floyd Mayweather, who has never been a puncher or offensive boxer is dumb IMO. Pretty much all of Floyd's fights are disappointing and boring. All he does is block punches, counter punch and win on the scorecards. Him going forward at all shows he didn't respect McGregor's power. I do think in a boxing match, GGG would knock McGregor out in the 1st. In an MMA match, it would be the exact opposite.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think he was saying that GGG would take CM out in the first round if they were in a boxing match. No boxer would stand a chance of lasting a round, or even just a few minutes, against an MMA guy in the Octagon.

Okay, I was misunderstanding then. Yeah - a true knockout artist would have laid out McGregor very early. However, that hasn't been Mayweather's game for decades - if ever.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You can't survive in MMA if you don't know how to wrestle. And it helps if you can kick. Pretty much no one picks up wrestling when they are older. It's something that most guys start at a really young age. You have a good wrestler that can punch and you have the makings of an MMA fighter. Boxers train to box from a young age usually and there's no reason to worry about submission holds or what to do if someone's on top of you.

What I don't get is all these MMA fans that are screaming boxing is trash or boxing is dead. I'll give you that the scoring is sometimes messed up and maybe even crooked at times, but it's still a great sport to watch. Making any kind of assumption based on a 40 yo Floyd Mayweather, who has never been a puncher or offensive boxer is dumb IMO. Pretty much all of Floyd's fights are disappointing and boring. All he does is block punches, counter punch and win on the scorecards. Him going forward at all shows he didn't respect McGregor's power. I do think in a boxing match, GGG would knock McGregor out in the 1st. In an MMA match, it would be the exact opposite.

Floyd's top priority is making sure he doesn't get hit. Fighters like GGG and Canelo's top priority is beating the other guy. Can't deny Floyd is among the all-time greats, an elite boxing talent. But he'll never be considered the GOAT, which for a guy who retired 50-0 says something. He dodged some dangerous guys when they were in their prime, and never took chances when he was in the ring. That amounts to an impressive record, and is the sign of a very talented and intelligent boxer, but it doesn't endear fans. I prefer watching guys who go into the ring wanting to win a fight, not guys who want to avoid taking damage and outpoint their opponent.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Based on last night I wouldn't say McGregor knows boxing. At least not at the level to be a pro. This was an exhibition money grab and both sides knew McGregor had no chance to win that fight.

The problem with your statement is you equivilate not being a professional boxer to not knowing boxing, which is hardly the case. That would be the equivalent of you not knowing football simply because you will never set foot on an NFL field during a game. McGregor knows boxing. He's not a professional boxer. Big difference.

So basically if someone likes MMA better they'll be in McGregor's corner no matter what, and someone who likes boxing more is going to be in it for Mayweather.

Both guys came off as goons with too much money in the midst of all the hype...glad I didn't pay or watch.

This stuff with the flooding in Houston reminded me of so many people that are going to lose pretty much everything they have while someone's getting $100 million to fight. Pretty gross.

Hardly the case. There are a lot of MMA fans that don't like McGregor, and many, many more boxing fans that don't like Mayweather.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hardly the case. There are a lot of MMA fans that don't like McGregor, and many, many more boxing fans that don't like Mayweather.

In pretty much anything I've read it's seemed like even if people didn't like the guy representing 'their' sport of choice, they took that sport's side at least. That's pretty natural but it keeps the debate over this kind of a spectacle spinning much like the 'discussions' in the CF Rivals forums.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I was rooting for McGregor for the underdog view as well as the Mayweather hatred, mostly because of his non-boxing behavior.... But honestly am not a fan of either guy..... Both are legends in their perspective sports, and to me this shows McGregor could be a legend in either sport is a lot more training, really up to him on where he wants to take it.... Impressive on both sides, I thought the ref did step in too soon which seems to be the general sentiment.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think its funny that people who don't know Boxing acted Like Connor was doing what he wanted to with Floyd. When people who follow boxing knew that FLoyd was Getting his timing, Not hitting back and basically doing exactly what Floyd does every single fight.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
People hate on Stephen A. Smith but his take about Floyd counting this as an "official" win is right.

Win #51 be some guy in a bar?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think its funny that people who don't know Boxing acted Like Connor was doing what he wanted to with Floyd. When people who follow boxing knew that FLoyd was Getting his timing, Not hitting back and basically doing exactly what Floyd does every single fight.

This is what I was trying to explain to people I was watching with, and what I'm trying to explain here. Those who are appalled that none of the judges cards had McGregor winning all 3 of the first 3 rounds. Now, I definitely agree McGregor won round 1, but other than being more active offensively in round 2, he didn't land anything in that round. Nothing. I struggle to convince myself he "won" round 2 because of that. I can even understand why the judges would have given that round to Mayweather, though I called it a draw. I leaned toward McGregor in round 3, but that was only because I felt he landed his only significant shot in that round. Round 3 was very close. From there, Mayweather had the timing, knew what McGregor was going to do, lost any shred of respect he may have had of McGregor's power, and went on the offensive.

For the record, I don't like either of them, but I have more respect for McGregor as a human being. He was just outclassed in the ring, which should have come as no surprise to anyone.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I agree with this. Floyd did what Floyd does. It's not exciting. Outside of that one uppercut, he did exactly what he wanted to do. The plan was to let an amateur boxer punch himself out, and then take him out when got too tired to defend himself. That's exactly what happened.
McGregor was outclassed in the ring. He's a phenomenal MMA fighter, and that's where he should stay, where the shorter fights and lack of restrictions allow him to be dominant. Boxing's rules don't do him any favors.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This is what I was trying to explain to people I was watching with, and what I'm trying to explain here. Those who are appalled that none of the judges cards had McGregor winning all 3 of the first 3 rounds. Now, I definitely agree McGregor won round 1, but other than being more active offensively in round 2, he didn't land anything in that round. Nothing. I struggle to convince myself he "won" round 2 because of that. I can even understand why the judges would have given that round to Mayweather, though I called it a draw. I leaned toward McGregor in round 3, but that was only because I felt he landed his only significant shot in that round. Round 3 was very close. From there, Mayweather had the timing, knew what McGregor was going to do, lost any shred of respect he may have had of McGregor's power, and went on the offensive.

For the record, I don't like either of them, but I have more respect for McGregor as a human being. He was just outclassed in the ring, which should have come as no surprise to anyone.

I agree with all of this, including the part about disliking Mayweather. I root against him, usually. In this fight, I didn't really care who won.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
"enisthemenace, post: 5799726, member: 9042"]This is what I was trying to explain to people I was watching with, and what I'm trying to explain here. Those who are appalled that none of the judges cards had McGregor winning all 3 of the first 3 rounds. Now, I definitely agree McGregor won round 1, but other than being more active offensively in round 2, he didn't land anything in that round. Nothing. I struggle to convince myself he "won" round 2 because of that. I can even understand why the judges would have given that round to Mayweather, though I called it a draw. I leaned toward McGregor in round 3, but that was only because I felt he landed his only significant shot in that round. Round 3 was very close. From there, Mayweather had the timing, knew what McGregor was going to do, lost any shred of respect he may have had of McGregor's power, and went on the offensive.

It was amazing how many people went crazy when McGregor won Round 1.

McGregor was always going to win Round 1 because he was going to be over the top aggressive and Floyd never does anything in Round 1 except read his opponent. That was especially going to be the case in a fight where he had no book on his opponent. Like you said when McGregor landed the uppercut early and it didn't phase Floyd you could tell it was going to be academic and Floyd turned McGregor into a punching bag in rounds 8-9-10.

For people arguing they stopped the fight too soon... it could have easily been stopped late in the 9th. McGregor was all but asleep on his feet.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Thank goodness some of you know boxing. My buddy is a striking and boxing instructor at Extreme Cotoure in Vegas. Has been on the Ultimate fighter as a coach a few times. He laid it out before the fight exactly how it would go. Even said look for Floyd to knock him out in round 9 or 10. He even said Floyd will let him win the first two.