What are your favorite "Iowa" sayings...

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
The meal schedule on any family farm from the mid-1990's and before...
Breakfast- 6-6:30am, after morning chores, fried eggs, sausage, bacon or ham, pancakes, french toast or chipped beef on toast.
Coffee - 9-9:30am, cookies and bars, coffee, lemonade, sun tea, usually served in the field.
Dinner- 11:30-Noon, big meal of roast beef, pork chops, fried chicken, meatloaf, or fried hamburgers with potatoes, a vegitable and a salad, jello or cool whip based, and dessert.
Lunch- 3-3:30pm, same as morning coffee but includes lunch meat sandwiches served in the field.
Supper- After evening chores, 6-6:30pm, sometimes a big meal, many times a medium meal, taverns (sloppy joes), casseroles, fried hamburgers, wieners from the local locker plant, potatoes, a vegitable, salad, jello or cool whip based, and dessert.
Popcorn or ice cream- usually around 8:30-9pm.

I agree on a sack not bag.

We scooped snow, not shoveled and you pushed snow with the loader on the tractor rather than plow it.

We mowed the yard, the grass around the house and out buildings and the yard was the rocked area between the house and the out buildings.

In NW Iowa we call it tavern instead of sloppy joe. If it didn't have sauce it was a loose meat and sometimes called a Maid-Rite.

I agree on taco pizza too. Mostly an Iowa thing.

Pop is midwestern and used all over Nebraska, the Dakotas and Minnesota as well as Iowa.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Breakfast- 6-6:30am, after morning chores, fried eggs, sausage, bacon or ham, pancakes, french toast or chipped beef on toast.
Coffee - 9-9:30am, cookies and bars, coffee, lemonade, sun tea, usually served in the field.
Dinner- 11:30-Noon, big meal of roast beef, pork chops, fried chicken, meatloaf, or fried hamburgers with potatoes, a vegitable and a salad, jello or cool whip based, and dessert.
Lunch- 3-3:30pm, same as morning coffee but includes lunch meat sandwiches served in the field.
Supper- After evening chores, 6-6:30pm, sometimes a big meal, many times a medium meal, taverns (sloppy joes), casseroles, fried hamburgers, wieners from the local locker plant, potatoes, a vegitable, salad, jello or cool whip based, and dessert.

I agree on a sack not bag.

We scooped snow, not shoveled and you pushed snow with the loader on the tractor rather than plow it.

We mowed the yard, the grass around the house and out buildings and the yard was the rocked area between the house and the out buildings.

In NW Iowa we call it tavern instead of sloppy joe. If it didn't have sauce it was a loose meat and sometimes called a Maid-Rite.

I agree on taco pizza too. Mostly an Iowa thing.

Pop is midwestern and used all over Nebraska, the Dakotas and Minnesota as well as Iowa.
In SE Iowa a tavern is the same thing as a bar. College friends from Western Iowa were the first ones that I ever heard refer to a tavern as a sandwich.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
In SE Iowa a tavern is the same thing as a bar. College friends from Western Iowa were the first ones that I ever heard refer to a tavern as a sandwich.

The old lady is from NW Iowa. She's the first person I had ever heard use the word "tavern" to describe a sandwich.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I vote nonverbal. The Iowa farmer wave...

35546125001_3887075865001_video-still-for-video-3887079889001.jpg

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
Had a supervisor who had worked for Happy Joe's pizza,
and always told us how the company had invented the
taco pizza. He actually seemed to be bragging. ???

Saying "not bad" when someone asks how you are doing

My dad would say "Fair to middlin', not hardly."

I've made that my own by adding "Mostly not hardly."

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I have no idea if it's an Iowa thing, but I grew up on a farm and always heard, "a guy otta". This was a way for someone to say, "hey while your at it, you should do this too".

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Our routine was close to that. It was:
Breakfast
Lunch (mid-morning)
Dinner
Lunch (mid-afternoon)
Supper
Bedtime snack (often cereal)

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Ooooh, "tavern" is an excellent example. It took me until a few years in college before I made the transition to "sloppy joe."

Even so, mentally, I think a tavern tastes better than a sloppy joe. Probably because I liked the way my mom made it.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Outside of Iowa, saying the phrase "Can I help you?" to someone stranded alongside the road apparently means "Can I abduct you?"

Sadly, I just stopped trying to help people after moving from Iowa to Indiana because I got so sick of everyone thinking I was going to rape and murder them when I tapped on their window.

I mean, I WAS going to, but I still didn't appreciate the attitude.