What I'm hearing about Matt Thomas

IfYouKnowYouKnow

Jan 24, 2017
Frankly, I think this is backwards. If you ever saw Matt play in high school he often played with the ball in his hands and rarely spotted up for the shot. I think that was what he struggled with early on here. Fred wanted him to be that deadly spot up shooter that he knew he could be but Matt was more comfortable off the bounce from his high school days. As he snuck more and more of that into his game against the quicker college competition he became more comfortable in his all around game including the spot up shooting.
You are correct, I watched highlights of his summer league games and he did plenty of catch and shoot; however, he took the ball off of the bounce several times and knocked down several 15'-18' jumpers. In addition, he showed some deftness driving and distributing. Of course, he did have some turnovers; however, many of his turnovers were the result of him anticipating his teammates moving to openings and his teammates did not make the same read. You are going to see this because of the limited teammate knowledge.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No, but I wrestled and play a hell of a pick up game at the local gym!
And...
holiday-inn-express-sign.jpg

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Fred had elite athleticism and sweated all of the time.

Fred could throw it down. I remember watching a TWolves game and he just went down the lane and legit thunder dunked it...kind of shocked me. Was one of his last years playing.
To help out everyone who is having a hard time judging athleticism:

Hinrich>Hoiberg>>>>Thomas>>>>>>>>>>>>>You and Me

I wouldn't say Hinrich was more athletic than Hoiberg. Kirk was a much better defender and slightly quicker but Fred was much stronger, much better shooter and probably most of all could really elevate a lot more than Hinrich. I think they'd be about the same end to end speed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fred could throw it down. I remember watching a TWolves game and he just went down the lane and legit thunder dunked it...kind of shocked me. Was one of his last years playing.

I wouldn't say Hinrich was more athletic than Hoiberg. Kirk was a much better defender and slightly quicker but Fred was much stronger, much better shooter and probably most of all could really elevate a lot more than Hinrich. I think they'd be about the same end to end speed.
I'll bet Fred was a better QB than Kirk.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Good points. I'd argue that it's apples and oranges a bit because Hinrich played a fair amount of point in the NBA. That's a different skill set so it wasn't so much that he was a better athlete than Fred.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Good points. I'd argue that it's apples and oranges a bit because Hinrich played a fair amount of point in the NBA. That's a different skill set so it wasn't so much that he was a better athlete than Fred.

Yeah Hinrich became basically a pure point guard in the NBA compared to at KU and early NBA when he was more of a combo. His D became great in the NBA and honestly I think KH would have been a perennial all star if he could have shot like Fred but his shot was always good (ended up making more 3s than any Bull ever over long career with the team) but not quite great and consistent. Fred was physically more athletic, not sure if there was a measured vert but just by watching them both in 100s of games I'm positive Fred got up a lot higher.

As a Bulls fan and KU hater Hinrich had to "earn it" with me and he did over time but I'll always remember a playoff series where he was a vet not that long ago and LeBron was just killing everybody and it was actually Hinrich among all the bigger younger players who could at least get in his grill and harass/bother him enough to slow him down. On one play in that particular game he simply wrapped him up with both arms on the way down the lane and LBJ got up looking like he wanted to murder KH.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
i like how people hit the disagree button but provide no info as to why. Thomas struggled on defense in the summer league: DISAGREE!!!! Thomas struggled moving with the ball in the summer league: DISAGREE!!!!! Fred Hoiberg was more athletic: DISAGREE!!!!!! If you disagree on universally agreed upon discussion you should explain why you feel that way.

Feel free to disagree this post into oblivion. Ill start.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Matt became a quick favorite of Lakers fans. I hope he can grab a two way deal with them.

Matt's problem on D was he kept following over the top of screens and wasn't going underneath when appropriate.