Is recruiting that much better?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
And don't forget the conference realignment scares. Many pundits had proclaimed the Big 12 as a dead man walking and everyone put ISU on the short list of schools with no landing spot. What quality D1 player with other options signs up for that?

To be fair, that really hasn't changed either. I think the recent financials that were posted will quite things down some but douche bags like Paul Finebaum just can't help themselves.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I was very impressed with Campbell's initial 6 to 8 months of recruiting. I think the stumble out of the gate (UNI game) last season has really hurt with a number of very good prospects pulling away. But I do think that Campbell and his staff keeps an eye on a much larger group of possible recruits than Rhoads and his staff did. Hopefully this fall shows something special, and the recruiting train will continue to rumble on.

I would also like to commend those who point out that chemistry is often the determining factor on the success of the team. In any case, the chemistry I started to see on the field after the first third of the season was over, also impresses me. I believe that getting rid of the few bad seeds/primadonnas may have helped that issue.

Would bet CMC has not lost a recruit because we lost to UNI. Can't prove it obviously...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hummel got an offer after camping. Doesn't really matter who offered at that point. Either the staff can spot talent and develop it or they can't. I think so far they have the benefit of the doubt.

This pretty much sums up what I was trying to say in my original post.

I don't really care if our classes are ranked 5 places better than Rhoads', or 5 places worse, etc. I just want to see evidence that when this staff sees a kid play in person and talks with them, and then lands them, that they end up being the real deal and can contribute.

What is on paper (stars) doesn't really matter to me. Success will be determined on whether the kids you get are able to contribute at a high level, and stay at ISU all 4 or 5 years IMO. Landing a 4 star that ends up being no good, hurts you. Landing a 2 star that ends up playing like a 4 star means your coaching staff has a great eye for talent.

IMO, CMC is off to a really good start at showing he has a great eye for talent. A lot of the true freshman played last year, and contributed in a positive way. So that is a good sign.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I was very impressed with Campbell's initial 6 to 8 months of recruiting. I think the stumble out of the gate (UNI game) last season has really hurt with a number of very good prospects pulling away. But I do think that Campbell and his staff keeps an eye on a much larger group of possible recruits than Rhoads and his staff did. Hopefully this fall shows something special, and the recruiting train will continue to rumble on.

I would also like to commend those who point out that chemistry is often the determining factor on the success of the team. In any case, the chemistry I started to see on the field after the first third of the season was over, also impresses me. I believe that getting rid of the few bad seeds/primadonnas may have helped that issue.

He lost to UNI and still brought in the best recruiting class in school history with that. Recruiting didn't stumble after eight months.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This pretty much sums up what I was trying to say in my original post.

I don't really care if our classes are ranked 5 places better than Rhoads', or 5 places worse, etc. I just want to see evidence that when this staff sees a kid play in person and talks with them, and then lands them, that they end up being the real deal and can contribute.

What is on paper (stars) doesn't really matter to me. Success will be determined on whether the kids you get are able to contribute at a high level, and stay at ISU all 4 or 5 years IMO. Landing a 4 star that ends up being no good, hurts you. Landing a 2 star that ends up playing like a 4 star means your coaching staff has a great eye for talent.

IMO, CMC is off to a really good start at showing he has a great eye for talent. A lot of the true freshman played last year, and contributed in a positive way. So that is a good sign.

This thread may be much shorter if this were the original post. Less entertaining though, so there's that.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
And don't forget the conference realignment scares. Many pundits had proclaimed the Big 12 as a dead man walking and everyone put ISU on the short list of schools with no landing spot. What quality D1 player with other options signs up for that?
Those uncertainties for recruits are still there. While it may not be unstable, the media is fueling this every year. We kept hearing in the past year about how OU might want out.

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
IMO the realistic best ISU can expect from recruiting classes would be 3 star kids making up 75% of a class and 4 star kids 25%. I only see that happening if ISU has a five year run of winning 8+ games.

Statistically speaking, you're talking about landing 4-6 4-star players every year. That would make you a perennial top 15-ish class most years. There are programs with significantly more historical success and significantly better recruiting grounds that don't do that.

Campbell's success is going to be predicated upon better evaluating the 3-star guys and doing a better job of developing them.

I think it's silly to think that ISU is going to out-recruit the blue blood programs of college football.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Statistically speaking, you're talking about landing 4-6 4-star players every year. That would make you a perennial top 15-ish class most years. There are programs with significantly more historical success and significantly better recruiting grounds that don't do that.

Campbell's success is going to be predicated upon better evaluating the 3-star guys and doing a better job of developing them.

I think it's silly to think that ISU is going to out-recruit the blue blood programs of college football.

Recruiting rankings are not meaningless at all but IMO having a system in place to develop middle to high 3 stars can lead to a damn good football team. Snyder and Mr Excitement over in Iowa City have been doing this for years. Staff continuity is crucial, which is why Iowa State is going to have to open the checkbook for CMC and his staff as soon as they field a bowl eligible team. If CMC can create a program that can develop players they will sprinkle in some 4 star kids in most classes.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
For me, even if the class' ranking ended up being the same as Rhoads', you can tell Campbell and his staff have a plan for each and every recruit. Each recruit fits into their very specific system and there seems to be an over-arching plan in general.

Towards the end of Rhoads' tenure, it seemed like his staff was just taking whoever would come to ISU regardless of how the recruit fit into their system, if there even was a system towards the end. Which explains the couple of classes were we basically landed 0 linemen recruits.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Recruiting rankings are not meaningless at all but IMO having a system in place to develop middle to high 3 stars can lead to a damn good football team. Snyder and Mr Excitement over in Iowa City have been doing this for years. Staff continuity is crucial, which is why Iowa State is going to have to open the checkbook for CMC and his staff as soon as they field a bowl eligible team. If CMC can create a program that can develop players they will sprinkle in some 4 star kids in most classes.

Getting good players and getting them to stay is the key. CPR had a lot of guys that never showed up or left after a year. He also had a rediulous number of linemen have career ending injuries. That is probably bad luck, but man it sucks when half of the projected starters are out before the season starts.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Getting good players and getting them to stay is the key. CPR had a lot of guys that never showed up or left after a year. He also had a rediulous number of linemen have career ending injuries. That is probably bad luck, but man it sucks when half of the projected starters are out before the season starts.

I firmly believe that the number of knee injuries we had on the o-line were directly related to recruiting undersized guys and packing too much weight on them.

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015

I was simply pointing out that for a program with ISU's history and geographical issues....filling a class with 25% with 4-star players is probably an unrealistic goal.

Development is going to have to be their hallmark, not recruiting

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I was simply pointing out that for a program with ISU's history and geographical issues....filling a class with 25% with 4-star players is probably an unrealistic goal.

Development is going to have to be their hallmark, not recruiting

You just need to be able to land players like Vance and other under the radar kids like that. I know you're negative but even you have to be pumped about him

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
First off..i havent seen many 2 star kids brought in by this staff..thats one. Second, the level of 3 star kids is better than anything CPR brought in overall as a class last 2 years. Third, the number of P5 offers the past 2 classes have seen is a record for ISU and its not close. I dont even look at stars anymore..all i wanna know is who else wanted the kids and this staff is landing a lot of kids that other P5 schools wanted. Last, this staff is bringing in far more higher level OL and DL recruits who are actually making it to campus than CPR and staff ever did.

Recruiting is night and day with this staff over CPR staff.
What was the old record? What's the new record?

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio

From many posts it sounds like undersized lineman were brought in as recruits under Rhoades. It is very hard for that type lineman to get the weight and mass size and use it in a violent game without serious injuries. Taller, heavier recruits can add muscle mass and weight needed to withstand the violent position and their body structure can handle it better. Believe me there will be injuries as an olineman. There were surgeries most years on a guy or two from my experience after the end of each season, just not career ending ones that I can remember.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
From many posts it sounds like undersized lineman were brought in as recruits under Rhoades. It is very hard for that type lineman to get the weight and mass size and use it in a violent game without serious injuries. Taller, heavier recruits can add muscle mass and weight needed to withstand the violent position and their body structure can handle it better. Believe me there will be injuries as an olineman. There were surgeries most years on a guy or two from my experience after the end of each season, just not career ending ones that I can remember.

Mostly a lot of ACL's... Carrying the extra weight was a big problem for a lot of those guys.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The Purple Crypt Keeper is successful year after year after year with unheralded recruits. Development > raw talent. Give me a hard worker over a Prima Donna every day. Paul obviously struggled with retention. So the jury is still out on Campbell, IMO. I think this question can only truthfully be answered until after this season.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Mostly a lot of ACL's... Carrying the extra weight was a big problem for a lot of those guys.

Makes sense, an extra inch or two of height and a bigger frame coming into college can be very important when a lineman gets in to to 300 to 320+ range.