Is recruiting that much better?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just wanted to throw this out there as a discussion topic. I don't know enough about recruiting to give a very informed opinion, so I'm willing to be persuaded either way.

It just seems like a lot of the recruits we're getting are about the same level of recruits that Rhoads would get. Mostly 3 stars, with an occasional 2 star or 4 star thrown in there. And we're beating out roughly the same quality of teams for a lot of our recruits as we used to as well. Maybe that isn't accurate, so I'm up for debate on that as well.

What I'm hoping is that this coaching staff has a better eye for talent, and is better at developing that talent. What I mean by that is.... let's say there are 2 OL with nearly the same identical ratings, and the same level of offers. I'm hoping that this staff is better at judging which of these 2 recruits has a better chance at making it at the next level, and therefore knows which one to offer and which one not to offer.... if that makes sense? Some 3 stars are going to be studs, and some are going to be duds. If your coaches have good eyes for talent, then they will be better at determining that.

And then, once they are on campus, and this one is huge..... are they going to be good at developing them?

You hear on these boards a lot that CMC is such a better recruiter than Rhoads was. I know it's too early to know for sure if that's true, but I'm just curious why people are believing that already so early into CMC's career here? Are we getting higher rated 3 stars (closer to 4 stars) than Rhoads did? What is it?

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
I think O'Rien Vance has the potential to be the best LB we've had in a long time. All the physical tools.
Dont forget about hummel either. Maybe he isnt as much a playmaker but I like his versatility in assignments.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Well too early to say on whether the coaching or players are better but I like the fact that CMC brought all his assistant's with him and if I had to pick, better coaching will get us more wins even if the talent is the same. We'll know 5 or 6 games in.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
IMO, we might have a very similar ranked class as another 20-30 or so other P5 programs in the country (for example, KU, TT, KSU, WV, etc) on paper, but the difference will be not on how they are on paper, but how they end up playing on the field and developing.

I think Rhoads was right when he said something to the affect of "It's not the recruits we don't get, it's the recruits we get that don't end up staying or panning out".

We could bring in a class of 20 players, and TT could bring in an identically ranked class of 20 players, but the difference will end up being on how well we scouted and judged our 20 guys and therefore on how many end up panning out, staying, and developing into contributing players.

I know this is all obvious stuff, I'm just trying to say, better recruiting classes on paper do not always equal better results on the field. It's being able to find the 3 star kids that end up playing like 4 or 5 star players, and not that end up playing like 2 star kids or end up leaving the program.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
IMO, we might have a very similar ranked class as another 20-30 or so other P5 programs in the country (for example, KU, TT, KSU, WV, etc) on paper, but the difference will be not on how they are on paper, but how they end up playing on the field and developing.

I think Rhoads was right when he said something to the affect of "It's not the recruits we don't get, it's the recruits we get that don't end up staying or panning out".

We could bring in a class of 20 players, and TT could bring in an identically ranked class of 20 players, but the difference will end up being on how well we scouted and judged our 20 guys and therefore on how many end up panning out, staying, and developing into contributing players.

I know this is all obvious stuff, I'm just trying to say, better recruiting classes on paper do not always equal better results on the field. It's being able to find the 3 star kids that end up playing like 4 or 5 star players, and not that end up playing like 2 star kids or end up leaving the program.

Hot take! MAYbe step back from that invisible ledge you are always on and think about what you just said. I will give you "does not ALWAYS"...but ...I mean seriously?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Recruiting highly evaluated players (4&5 stars) is important, but IMO that only happens after extended success on the field AND equally important, a school is located in a state that produces a high number of elite level D1 recruits.

IMO the realistic best ISU can expect from recruiting classes would be 3 star kids making up 75% of a class and 4 star kids 25%. I only see that happening if ISU has a five year run of winning 8+ games.

If Campbell is going to have success at ISU it will be with 3 star kids that the staff can develop into All-Big12 players. It is also going to critical for 60-70%+ of recruits to play as seniors at ISU. No coach can have succes at ISU by recruiting 25 kids and only 8-10 recruits stay the entire 4 or 5 years.

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
Is he going to be running track or playing football?

Wonder what other offers he had. I'll let you look it up.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Is he going to be running track or playing football?

Wonder what other offers he had. I'll let you look it up.
Is this a joke? There are several in state players that don't report offers or have their recruiting profiles show offers once they commit to an state school.

I can think of several.