Friday OT #2 - Take This Restaurant and Shove It!

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Been a couple mentions of wait service in the thread, so I thought I'd comment.

My ex-mother-in-law (who was a waitress at times in her life) was the rudest person I've ever seen when dealing with wait staff. Absolutely no patience, talked down to people, etc. Made me embarrassed every time it happened. My take is that 95% of wait staff are good people who are genuinely committed to serving you the way you expect to be served. Many times the kitchen or the bar will let them down, and they have to take the flak.

Tipping is another thing......my current father-in-law, who is by nature a very generous man, is a skinflint when it comes to tipping. He'll take us all to dinner and then leave a $5 tip. (On, say, a $60 or $70 tab.) So my wife and I, who used to argue with him about it to no avail, surreptitiously fatten it up for the wait person. I'm a generous tipper, unless the service absolutely sucks - usually 15-20% is a rule for me. I know those people are for the most part woefully underpaid, and as someone who is in a service business, I understand.

Just my 2 cents........

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am reassessing my self image as a snob based on this thread. Cannot come up with realtime examples of places I hate to go so much. Products for sure, just not stuff in line with the trend of this thread. What the hell is going wrong with me! :eek:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
T-Rex Cafe in the Legends area in KC. We went once for a friend's son's birthday party. Food was really bad and I felt like crap.

Years later, my own daughter begged and begged to go there. We caved and went there. The food was horrendously overpriced and just bad, the service was bad and the table and chairs rocked badly. We had to flag our waitress down to ask for the check, and then waited 15 minutes for them to pick the check back up and another 10 to return. Oh, and all of us felt sick for hours afterwards.

It's now the family joke to bring it up whenever someone shoots down another idea of what to eat.

• Agree
Reactions: akellar and 247cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I remember having multiple friends who just salivated when CF went in to Jordan Creek.

It's a huge menu of wildly mediocre food, IMO. It reminds me of Applebee's - they just don't do anything great, but people line up for that crap. It's certainly not worth waiting for 2 hours to even get seated.

I've never understood the CF craze. I lived on the east coast for 4 years and they where everywhere and I always found their sandwiches average at best.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Jethro's. lights fuse and runs away...

The original location has always been pretty consistent but I've had some pretty awful BBQ at the Waukee and WDM locations.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and akellar

cysdaone

Mar 18, 2015
Des Moines Area
For me, its Steak N Shake in the Iowa City area. I don't understand why people like that place. The service is terrible. We went there once about 5 years ago and the wait staff dropped three trays of food at different times. Drinks splattered on us and my wife's shoes were soaked. Not even an apology. On top of that, we waited an hour for them to bring us our food which was overpriced and not even that good.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I haven't had dessert at Hickory Park since then, but I'll still eat HP.

Texas Roadhouse became one for me. I like the food, but their website's page about peanut allergies was too in-your-face for me. We have a daughter with a peanut allergy, and it would likely all be fine without the bucket at the table, but the way their website read that first time closed the door for me.
I also have a peanut allergy.

My first time at TR, the waiter was a real jerk about it.

I ended up sitting at the opposite side of the table and was worried the whole time.

Never going back.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Pretty much any Chinese restaurant for me anymore except PF Changs. I have bad reactions to MSG, and even if they say they don't use it, I have had an allergic reaction on occasion. Noting like a swollen throat to make you not trust a certain type of food.

Plus, they all overuse their oil to the point everything fried gets that dirty oil fishy aftertaste.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
T-Rex Cafe in the Legends area in KC. We went once for a friend's son's birthday party. Food was really bad and I felt like crap.

Years later, my own daughter begged and begged to go there. We caved and went there. The food was horrendously overpriced and just bad, the service was bad and the table and chairs rocked badly. We had to flag our waitress down to ask for the check, and then waited 15 minutes for them to pick the check back up and another 10 to return. Oh, and all of us felt sick for hours afterwards.

It's now the family joke to bring it up whenever someone shoots down another idea of what to eat.

Truth!