Friday OT #2 - Take This Restaurant and Shove It!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
While in Houston for the EB1 bowl, we ate at a WhatABurger..... I could add numerous adjectives to their name before burger. We will NEVER AGAIN eat there.

After that, local to Marion/CR, the sports bar (scoreboard?) in Marion ... Nope, three times crappy food and service.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'll just say Taco Bell. Never know what to order. And when I decided it always seems like again, maybe I didn't order the right thing.

I love Mexican food, so it isn't that.

EDIT: Sonic Drive in. I LOVE the concept, but every time I've gone it's consistently been "meh".

It's sacrilege in my house, but I also haven't ever been all that wowed by Sonic. I like their cheeseballs, but their ranch is crap, so that collectively evens out to "meh" also. I don't like custard, for some reason.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
It's sacrilege in my house, but I also haven't ever been all that wowed by Sonic. I like their cheeseballs, but their ranch is crap, so that collectively evens out to "meh" also. I don't like custard, for some reason.

You are wrong. Sonic is like a top 5 fast food place. I have to stop at one when I see one because they aren't around much.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I've told the story at least once on here, but I will never go to Buffalo Wild Wings. Back in the day, when they were still BW3 and smoking was still allowed everywhere, we were in one in Chicago, watching games. I had these very small, smaller than cigarettes, cigars on me. I look around, everyone is smoking, in fact the table of four behind me had 2 ashtrays overflowing and were just lighting their next cigarette off the one they were finishing. So I figure, what the hell, I'll light up.

So, I light up my tiny cigar, it was a Macanudo Miniature Cigarillo. (Look them up, they are literally smaller than a cigarette, but they aren't cheap either) As soon as I light up, the bartender yells at me, "Hey, no cigar smoking in here." I wasn't rude in responding, "Really, this is smaller than a cigarette and with all the smoke in here, does it really matter?" He said, "Yeah, policy, no cigar smoking." So I say, "OK, I get it," and I put it out. But, I didn't toss it, I kept it in my mouth. I figured I'd smoke it on the walk to the next bar.

Then the bartender yells at me again, "I said no cigar smoking" I said, "I'm not smoking it, look, it's out." And I touch it to my finger and hold it there, to prove it's out. He jumps over the bar swinging door and gets in my face and yells, "I said no cigar smoking." Again, I show him and say, "It's out, I'm not smoking it. Look, I'll even put it back in the box." At that point he goes to try and grab it. I pull away and tell him to **** off and that I'll be leaving. So, that's just what I did.

Now I have nothing against smoking rules, actually cigars were something I got into because of all the cigarette smoking in bars. I don't like cigarettes and the cigars would kind of mask the smell for me in a really smoky bar. But if I was ever asked, it was never an issue to put it out. At the same time though, I was never hassled in a place that was so insanely smoky as BW3 was that night. It was insane how much cigarette smoking was going on. So you can't tell me my tiny cigar was an issue. In any case, I vowed never to step foot in a BW3 again. And now that they are Buffalo Wild Wings, that carries over.

I've actually been given about $150 in gift certificates over the years to the place and they are either re-gifted or just given to someone who I know enjoys the place.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You are wrong. Sonic is like a top 5 fast food place. I have to stop at one when I see one because they aren't around much.

I think part of the problem is that I don't think I've ever had a full meal from there. I'll get some fries and ranch (again, ranch suuucks). Maybe have a bite of one of the kids' burgers. I am so-so on tater tots, so that isn't something that's a big draw for me. And I just really don't like frozen custard. The cherry limeades are good, though!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think part of the problem is that I don't think I've ever had a full meal from there. I'll get some fries and ranch (again, ranch suuucks). Maybe have a bite of one of the kids' burgers. I am so-so on tater tots, so that isn't something that's a big draw for me. And I just really don't like frozen custard. The cherry limeades are good, though!
Oh my god, you even do limeade wrong. STRAWBERRY.

• Informative

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

The chances of lukewarm and mushy are pretty high. If they could just make them somewhat close to a local bar tot, then it works for me. I don't get it.

• Agree

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I went to a Village Inn one time. I don't remember what the food tasted like but it was nowhere close enough to overcome the extremely long wait (while half the tables were unoccupied) and the so-so service.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Hard Rock Cafe. Had one of the worst dining expiriences ever at the one in Houston when we went there in 2005 for the bowl game. That and not a fan of their cheesy overpriced merchandise either. I have friends that collect that stuff and want to go whenever we are somewhere there is Hard Rock but I avoid that place whenever I can.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
McDonalds, it's digusting. I feel miserable anytime I eat it (maybe once a year).

Chipotle - their marketing department advertises with lies. They are on my banned list.

Panera is borderline, but my wife likes eating there, so I try to tolerate it sometimes.

John & Nick's Steakhouse. When you get a purple steak, that's not medium. I had to be the guy that sent it back twice, only to receive a charred dried out steak. I'm one that it takes a lot for me to speak up to the staff about my food if it's wrong, but that was intolerable. So I refuse to eat there.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Super Dog. I just have never had a good hot dog there and refuse to believe the hype.

In other areas, I refuse to fly Southwest again. I flew them twice a couple years ago, checked my bag because it was free and they straight up lost them! TWICE! They flat out wrote me a check for my luggage and clothes both times. I don't generally check luggage because I do shorter trips but that process is so annoying that I don't ever want to deal with it again.

I will say they had very nice customer service during the whole process though. Gave me free flight vouchers the first time and refunded me the second time in addition to the clothes/luggage payments.

Reactions: Bryce7

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Agree with the applebees hate from earlier. After they served me something they call "riblets" I wont be going back.
Used to enjoys Fazoli's (chicken parm) but one not so great piece of chicken and some stale breadsticks have turned me off fro a while now.

• Agree

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
McDonalds, it's digusting. I feel miserable anytime I eat it (maybe once a year).

Chipotle - their marketing department advertises with lies. They are on my banned list.

Panera is borderline, but my wife likes eating there, so I try to tolerate it sometimes.

John & Nick's Steakhouse. When you get a purple steak, that's not medium. I had to be the guy that sent it back twice, only to receive a charred dried out steak. I'm one that it takes a lot for me to speak up to the staff about my food if it's wrong, but that was intolerable. So I refuse to eat there.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that...

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Culvers- Iowa City/Coralville

Me " I want a butter burger with nothing on it, just the burger and the bun"

1st order...

We got a butter burger with cheese and lettuce.
Pulled back around and reordered

2nd order....

"I need a butter burger with nothing on it. No cheese no lettuce, no catsup, no mustard, no pickle, just a plain patty and the bun"

We got 2 double butter burgers with cheese and one with lettuce so I took those back in to the counter.

3rd time I got the correct food once the manager went in and made them himself.

45 minutes later we were on our way- It was 9:00pm after two practices (4 hours) back to back. It's not like I could leave and drive home without food.

My wife ordered a burger there and got no meat just the bun and condiments.

Done with them forever!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Legend's Grill. Service is terrible.
The one in Marshalltown I assume? It is the worst. The service and food. I've tried to give them a chance 2 or 3 times and every time the service is horrible and the food is worse. One time I just ordered nachos thinking they couldn't possibly **** that up... but they did. I don't know anyone that likes that place and have no idea how it's still open.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My wife and I never would go to McDonalds, just because the food isn't that great, isn't that great for you, and we lived close to What-a-burger. When she got pregnant, she craved McDonalds cheeseburgers. Had to be Mickey D's, nobody else's. Now that our lil' fella is 2, the PlayPlace is a welcome sight on long road trips.
During one of her pregnancies, my wife could only eat burgers from Burger King. She doesn't think she'd ever even eaten at BK prior to that.