CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
If you want another idea of the true gold, look at the logo on the white helmets

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Every time this board devolves into the yellow/gold/mustard debate...

"I'd like 25 copies on goldenrod, 25 on canary, 25 on saffron, and...25 on paella."
"Okay -- 100 yellow."

684450.jpg

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Kagavi liked the “I” sweater or jersey worn by the son, Wayne Frake, in the 1945 Rogers and Hammerstein version of the movie State Fair.

I don't know whether it was official ISU wear, but before, Kagavi thought it possible that someone just called Iowa State up and had it shipped, rather than the studio making it in-house. The color scheme is interesting and includes grey elbow reinforcements. Per a comment I saw last year on YouTube, the color in the film won't degrade or change much if at all as it was filmed in (expensive) technicolor. So the colors should still be true and match the originals.

Sorry, but I am not certain how to link to a particular point in the film via my phone. You can see Wayne in the sweater at the following points, with the biggest shots of it towards the end of the first segment, and at the beginning of the second:

11.20 - 12:40

14:25 or so

Never watched that movie but thats a young harry morgan (from mash) playing the carnival guy. weird

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I go way back and never have seen ISU look better than during the Dirty Thirty days, which these resemble. That's tradition that most youngsters don't even know existed. But it was a classic look nonetheless with the gold pots, cardinal jersey and gold pants. As a boy growing up in Sioux City, I dreamed of watching Clay's squad someday. ISU unies have been trash ever since. So there!
images
images
images

K state fans have no room to talk when discussing uniforms looking like trash. Just saying.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Best New Look I Have Seen Anywhere!!

img_7232-jpg.47890
Then people will ***** about ha
Does anybody have any information or a picture of the original cardinal and gold cloth that defines our school colors? Aren't they in Special Collections in Parks somewhere?
well, if you want original "gold", Trice wore yellow. The people that think we "originally" wore metallic gold are probably wrong. We likely wore yellow before gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigmapolis

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I know everyone likes the idea of yellow/gold helmets, but I really don't like the idea. If it was an actual gold color maybe, but yellow does not look good on helmets to me especially on tv in HD. I also really don't like the combos with different color pants jerseys and helmets. For me at least 2 of them need to match in order to look complete

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
Kagavi liked the “I” sweater or jersey worn by the son, Wayne Frake, in the 1945 Rogers and Hammerstein version of the movie State Fair.

I don't know whether it was official ISU wear, but before, Kagavi thought it possible that someone just called Iowa State up and had it shipped, rather than the studio making it in-house. The color scheme is interesting and includes grey elbow reinforcements. Per a comment I saw last year on YouTube, the color in the film won't degrade or change much if at all as it was filmed in (expensive) technicolor. So the colors should still be true and match the originals.

Sorry, but I am not certain how to link to a particular point in the film via my phone. You can see Wayne in the sweater at the following points, with the biggest shots of it towards the end of the first segment, and at the beginning of the second:

11.20 - 12:40

14:25 or so

to me this looks like a natural brownish suede or leather, which would make sense. i just dont get the appeal of grey anything at all. aside from it not being a school color, i think it looks horrible and dull, especially combined with cardinal and gold.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I know everyone likes the idea of yellow/gold helmets, but I really don't like the idea. If it was an actual gold color maybe, but yellow does not look good on helmets to me especially on tv in HD. I also really don't like the combos with different color pants jerseys and helmets. For me at least 2 of them need to match in order to look complete

So you think the Packers & LSU look bad? Do you think Earl Bruce's squads looked bad?

• Winner
Reactions: Sigmapolis

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
First, this is our current identity

All this thread proves is nobody can nor agree on what we should do with our uniforms and/or identity. Most of us agree on the I-State logo being great. Many people like the Criner tornado, personally I don't. Many other people like the "whirlybird", personally I do (it was the logo when I converted over to a Cyclone fan and started going to ISU). Most of us like the "angry marching Cy" logo of the '80s and early '90s, most of us like the "posing Cy" that is the representation of the mascot Cy. Most of us hate the current "marching 'beer-belly' Cy" (that's a ripoff of the Bucky Badger logo) and dislike the the matching "Cy's head in a galaxy" logo (although I've actually grown "okay" with that logo). The bottom line is we're not going to agree.

The current uniforms are are similar (not a ripoff nor a copy) of USC's uniforms, and 10 years ago were a huge upgrade to what they were wearing. Yet USC's uniforms are considered among college football's best, yet our uniforms are usually considered among the worst. The difference? Winning tradition. The best, most historic, and currently most successful programs always are considered to have the best uniforms by critics, whether Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, USC or Oregon. Schools that have similar colors and designs like Indiana, Iowa State, or Baylor are looked down upon. So the bottom line is I don't care what critics' opinions of our uniforms because they talk out of both sides of their mouths. I care what we think and, more importantly, what current players and recruits think.

Am I in favor of keeping the current identity? Maybe. We've had a lot worse and could do a lot worse.

Am I in favor of changing the current identity? Maybe. We can do better than what we've got, but we could do a lot worse.

What would I do? I don't mind the cardinal color, that can remain the same. I would certainly change the gold to what's defined by Wikpedia as metallic gold (hex triplet #D4AF37):

d4af37.png

(It's a CMYK of 18,28,94,1, whereas our current "gold" is a CMYK of 0,21,88,0)

I would keep the anthracite gray color. Not make it an official school color, but use it as an alternate as it makes our uniforms look appropriately "stormy".

I would keep the I-State logo as primary. Whether we use the full beveled logo, stencil, mix it up depending on the helmet or uniform combo, whatever. Despite what the critics say we are recognized nationally by that logo.

I would bring back the "angry marching Cy" logo or update it such that our current mascot Cy is angrily marching.

I would bring back both the Criner tornado and the whirlybird as well as keep the current "Cy's head in a galaxy" logo as secondary logos. These are generally for secondary merchandise sales anyway so why are we arguing over what our secondary logo should be? Why not have multiple and make everyone happy? Plus, as much as I dislike the Criner tornado, even I admit I like the mock ups with them as helmet stickers.

Uniforms? Change them, and get more helmets. 4 colors - cardinal, gold, white, antrhacite. Work with Nike to get something that is appropriate for us and something that recruits and players will love.

Last edited:

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
So you think the Packers & LSU look bad? Do you think Earl Bruce's squads looked bad?
You are correct. Just don't like the look of them. I know the packers are very traditional so they can pull it off. ISU does not have a rich history or tradition with football so I'm all for just making it look good...everyone has a different taste and mine does not include yellow helmets

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
You are correct. Just don't like the look of them. I know the packers are very traditional so they can pull it off. ISU does not have a rich history or tradition with football so I'm all for just making it look good...everyone has a different taste and mine does not include yellow helmets

Too bad. The best era in Cyclone football history was with yellow helmets. I hate looking like USC.

Love the white lids. They work best with the beveled I-State.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
First, this is our current identity

All this thread proves is nobody can nor agree on what we should do with our uniforms and/or identity. Most of us agree on the I-State logo being great. Many people like the Criner tornado, personally I don't. Many other people like the "whirlybird", personally I do (it was the logo when I converted over to a Cyclone fan and started going to ISU). Most of us like the "angry marching Cy" logo of the '80s and early '90s, most of us like the "posing Cy" that is the representation of the mascot Cy. Most of us hate the current "marching 'beer-belly' Cy" (that's a ripoff of the Bucky Badger logo) and dislike the the matching "Cy's head in a galaxy" logo (although I've actually grown "okay" with that logo). The bottom line is we're not going to agree.

The current uniforms are are similar (not a ripoff nor a copy) of USC's uniforms, and 10 years ago were a huge upgrade to what they were wearing. Yet USC's uniforms are considered among college football's best, yet our uniforms are usually considered among the worst. The difference? Winning tradition. The best, most historic, and currently most successful programs always are considered to have the best uniforms by critics, whether Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, USC or Oregon. Schools that have similar colors and designs like Indiana, Iowa State, or Baylor are looked down upon. So the bottom line is I don't care what critics' opinions of our uniforms because they talk out of both sides of their mouths. I care what we think and, more importantly, what current players and recruits think.

Am I in favor of keeping the current identity? Maybe. We've had a lot worse and could do a lot worse.

Am I in favor of changing the current identity? Maybe. We can do better than what we've got, but we could do a lot worse.

What would I do? I don't mind the cardinal color, that can remain the same. I would certainly change the gold to what's defined by Wikpedia as metallic gold (hex triplet #D4AF37):

d4af37.png

(It's a CMYK of 18,28,94,1, whereas our current "gold" is a CMYK of 0,21,88,0)

I would keep the anthracite gray color. Not make it an official school color, but use it as an alternate as it makes our uniforms look appropriately "stormy".

I would keep the I-State logo as primary. Whether we use the full beveled logo, stencil, mix it up depending on the helmet or uniform combo, whatever. Despite what the critics say we are recognized nationally by that logo.

I would bring back the "angry marching Cy" logo or update it such that our current mascot Cy is angrily marching.

I would bring back both the Criner tornado and the whirlybird as well as keep the current "Cy's head in a galaxy" logo as secondary logos. These are generally for secondary merchandise sales anyway so why are we arguing over what our secondary logo should be? Why not have multiple and make everyone happy? Plus, as much as I dislike the Criner tornado, even I admit I like the mock ups with them as helmet stickers.

Uniforms? Change them, and get more helmets. 4 colors - cardinal, gold, white, antrhacite. Work with Nike to get something that is appropriate for us and something that recruits and players will love.

Although I don't back every element of your summary, I like the overall assessment. We need a uniform set that is a balance of: (1) A design that is traditional enough to endure, but with current and unique details (2) adherence to I-State for branding but can incorporate iconic logos and most-identifiable uniforms (among Cyclones fans).

And that gold CMYK is perfect as the "primary secondary" school color. It isn't "bright yellow" and it isn't gold-nugget gold. Each extreme could be used as tertiary accents. Use the same process for the basic cardinal.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wouldn't surprise me at all

It's just kinda odd that he's been wearing this black and silver combo a LOT lately. Press conferences, Tailgate Tour, etc.

There's probably about a .00001% chance of this ever happening, but CMC sure loves those colors.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
K state fans have no room to talk when discussing uniforms looking like trash. Just saying.
LOL! Suggest you stay away from job shopping Nike. These are classics.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/un...uniform-nations-2014-big-xii-uniform-rankings

20131116_ajw_bv1_610.0_standard_783.0.0.jpg

An underrated outfit, Kansas State's uniform is as lasting as coach Bill Snyder. In fact, the Wildcats slightly changed when Snyder departed the program, only to return to the classic stripes when he came out of retirement. As other schools with the same colored pants have changed to matte fabric, Kansas State's shiny silver pants make me wish Ohio State and Georgia had done the same.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
LOL! Suggest you stay away from job shopping Nike. These are classics.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/un...uniform-nations-2014-big-xii-uniform-rankings

20131116_ajw_bv1_610.0_standard_783.0.0.jpg

An underrated outfit, Kansas State's uniform is as lasting as coach Bill Snyder. In fact, the Wildcats slightly changed when Snyder departed the program, only to return to the classic stripes when he came out of retirement. As other schools with the same colored pants have changed to matte fabric, Kansas State's shiny silver pants make me wish Ohio State and Georgia had done the same.

I love K-State's uniforms. I am a Cowboys fan however, so that probably makes me bias due the very small differences in theirs and the Boy's.

• Agree
Reactions: surly