ISU golf regional

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
2, maaaybe 3, "northern" schools and one is in the Northwest. Again, we are greatly disadvantaged by geography and still have done this well.

Oregon
Illinois
Kent State
Purdue
Penn State
Iowa State

Above is ranking order. Below is latitude (North to South):

Eugene, OR (not close)
Ames, IA
Kent, OH
Happy Valley, PA
West Layfayette, IN
Champaign, IL

Next place would probably be Palo Alto, CA (Stanford)

EDIT: I was wrong...next closest is Charlottesville, VA (Virginia), then Palo Alto.
- about the same distance in latitude between Eugene and Ames as there is between Champaign and Charlottesville.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Oregon
Illinois
Kent State
Purdue
Penn State
Iowa State

Above is ranking order. Below is latitude (North to South):

Eugene, OR (not close)
Ames, IA
Kent, OH
Happy Valley, PA
West Layfayette, IN
Champaign, IL

Next place would probably be Palo Alto, CA (Stanford)

EDIT: I was wrong...next closest is Charlottesville, VA (Virginia), then Palo Alto.
- about the same distance in latitude between Eugene and Ames as there is between Champaign and Charlottesville.

My god I missed a lot of those. Sorry, my bad. Still, considering everything, I would say golf is at perhaps the biggest disadvantage, geography-wise, of any sport we have. I mean, if you're a D1 player and you're thinking maybe you can get yourself to the show, Iowa likely isn't what you're thinking. Obviously, doing it with foreign players and in state guys is working. I think only one guy is from the US but not Iowa.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
My god I missed a lot of those. Sorry, my bad. Still, considering everything, I would say golf is at perhaps the biggest disadvantage, geography-wise, of any sport we have. I mean, if you're a D1 player and you're thinking maybe you can get yourself to the show, Iowa likely isn't what you're thinking. Obviously, doing it with foreign players and in state guys is working. I think only one guy is from the US but not Iowa.

Tripp Kinney is from Waukee.

Jack Carter is from Ohio (played more in previous years) and Connor Koberg is from Cedar Rapids.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Jack Carter is from Ohio (played more in previous years) and Connor Koberg is from Cedar Rapids.

I worded that poorly. I meant that only one guy is neither foreign or from Iowa.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Well, of the guys who played we had three Kiwi's, one Aussie and one Iowan. We do have quite the down under connection.

Don't know what's going on with the women's squad. Thought they were doing okay a few years ago but only had a squad of five gals this season.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
The golf facility is the reason we are coming into our own. They can practice for any condition no matter what the weather. I don't know how many other schools have what we have, but very few. Whether that's because they are in the south and can practice outside anytime, or because it's such an investment. We are blessed to have Dickson Jensen.