OT: Get off my Lawn!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Have you talked to them or is there a language barrier? Are you intimidated to approach them? Chitowncy's advice seems the best if the ability to communicate with them isn't the issue. You could always offer them use of your mower once or twice or offer to mow their lawn to be neighborly. If that doesn't work, it's easy enough to cut off since you control that part of the situation anyway.

I'm a little curious why their nationality doesn't matter, yet you brought it up anyway. Would it be different if they were all white guys that looked like Eminem? Cuz that would scare the hell outta me.
Like 9 Eminem impersonators that happen to share a house? Could a single city really support 9 different Eminem impersonators? The first few that got into the business I get, but unless the 9th guy was just incredible he really should have gone in a different direction.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Need some advice,

In February the house next door sold, and the guy who bought it is renting it out. There is currently 9 people living there all between the ages of 30-40, all Indian nationality (not that it matters), and only 1 has a job. Keep in mind, its a 4 bedroom house.

Lately, my neighbor on the other side of me and I have noticed that they will be out wandering, talking on their phone, and walking through both of our backyards. When we catch them we will signal them to get off our property but I don't think they get the hint.

What should I do? I don't think talking to the landlord will help, as we are currently fighting with the city because they wont mow their lawn and they keep making up excuses on why they cant get their mower over there.
My suggestion is just communicate with the renters directly and politely. Most of the time if you nicely approach someone not to do something they will listen. Option 2 keep your hose handy..... heheheheh

Reactions: NWICY

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I brought up the nationality because I meant to say there was a language barrier.

Thanks for the clarification. Having them crowd your property is a little strange. It's a little hard to be neighborly while telling someone that doesn't speak English to get off your property.

If you go home tonight and there's an Indian flag in your back yard, you may have been annexed. I'd rent Red Dawn for pointers on how to proceed,

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The Indian reference may be relevant. Fences are very important in many Indian cultures. If you own property, but don't put up a fence, you actually may lose some of your rights to the land. Or more specifically, you lose your right to prevent someone from coming on the land. Even a very low fence sends the message about a property line.

I would arrange a neighbor get together. Get Indian carryout to serve. Find someone who speaks English and talk about it casually as a cultural matter. There are probably a few misunderstandings that need to be worked out on both sides. If you don't find a mediator, then you are likely to encounter more incidents.

Carsalesrgood

Feb 4, 2011
That depends on their rental agreement.

The landlord has told me that his hired man will mow the yard (3 weeks ago) they said they were getting a hitch put on their RV so that they could bring their zero turn in to mow it. At the time I actually offered to mow it for him for $20, but he said he was having his hired man do it. I

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I have renters next door and I am crazy about my lawn (it looks amazing). I yell at my renter neighbors about staying off of it. What difference does it make to me what some douchebag kids think about it? It shouldn't matter to you either.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Need some advice,

In February the house next door sold, and the guy who bought it is renting it out. There is currently 9 people living there all between the ages of 30-40, all Indian nationality (not that it matters), and only 1 has a job. Keep in mind, its a 4 bedroom house.

Lately, my neighbor on the other side of me and I have noticed that they will be out wandering, talking on their phone, and walking through both of our backyards. When we catch them we will signal them to get off our property but I don't think they get the hint.

What should I do? I don't think talking to the landlord will help, as we are currently fighting with the city because they wont mow their lawn and they keep making up excuses on why they cant get their mower over there.

Fences make good neighbors.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
The Indian reference may be relevant. Fences are very important in many Indian cultures. If you own property, but don't put up a fence, you actually may lose some of your rights to the land. Or more specifically, you lose your right to prevent someone from coming on the land. Even a very low fence sends the message about a property line.

I would arrange a neighbor get together. Get Indian carryout to serve. Find someone who speaks English and talk about it casually as a cultural matter. There are probably a few misunderstandings that need to be worked out on both sides. If you don't find a mediator, then you are likely to encounter more incidents.

Don't forget some cupcakes and stuffed teddy bears so you guys can hug it out.

Reactions: isugcs and wxman1

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I used to live in an area where we had to irrigate because it was very sandy. I took great pride in my weed free lawn. My neighbor didn't take care of his yard-even turned off his irrigation system. I didn't speak to him because he was a bigoted, racist pr1ck. He had a dog for a while that started taking dumps in my yard. The first couple of times I thought no big deal, but when I mowed and found a couple dozen turds in my yard I got ticked and flung them all onto his driveway-no way he could miss them. After that, I didn't have a problem.

Not really relevant to your situation, other than a bad neighbor.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I think identifying their nationality is relevant considering there is an obvious linguistic & cultural barrier. They're obviously not accustomed to lot lines and yard maintenance. They probably don't have a clue how to run a lawnmower. Maybe they are just rude; maybe they just don't get it. Maybe both.

This is definitely a landlord issue. It's his responsibility to communicate the expectations of their neighborhood. I'd definitely go after him with everything you got. Is fencing in your budget? That'd send a pretty clear message.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015

This sounds awkward as ****.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't blame the people living there for not mowing the lawn, that is the landlords fault not theirs.

Depends on the lease agreement. I lived in a Townhouse in VA and the tenants were responsible for mowing their own yards.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I brought up the nationality because I meant to say there was a language barrier.

Well, it could also be a cultural thing regarding "property rights". Most of the land in India is government owned. Regular everyday folks don't own property in India so the USA "our home is our castle" could be a little "foreign" to them.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Need some advice,

In Texas we'd shoot 'em... legally. But since they're new I'd probably just fire a warning shot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron