Scouting the guy you shouldn't forget about -- Darius McNeill

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I've been touting McNeill for a while as X-factor/off-radar. I'm among fans who wanted a grad-transfer combo guard to ease Wigginton into PG starting role and so Jackson can play mostly off-ball (but still has capability of backing up point). Maybe if McNeill progresses more quickly, getting an immediate-play combo transfer won't be as crucial.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Looks to me like a kid with all kinds of tools that is really starting to put it together. Athletically gifted with a strong work ethic and a bit of a chip on his shoulder? Sounds good to me.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
But, Naz was a point guard, REMEMBER!?!?!

:jimlad

I have a feeling both Naz and Darius will come in thinking "combo/lean PG" and leave "never met an outside shot they did not like." Happened once before. :p

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I've been touting McNeill for a while as X-factor/off-radar. I'm among fans who wanted a grad-transfer combo guard to ease Wigginton into PG starting role and so Jackson can play mostly off-ball (but still has capability of backing up point). Maybe if McNeill progresses more quickly, getting an immediate-play combo transfer won't be as crucial.

McNeil has the highest ceiling in this class. There, I said it.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I have a feeling both Naz and Darius will come in thinking "combo/lean PG" and leave "never met an outside shot they did not like." Happened once before. :p
Darius' game right now is far more built for a slasher-type game. Way more-so than Naz in HS. They could end up becoming similar, I just think their games and skillsets are a bit more catered to different styles of play. Who knows tho, I certainly wouldn't be mad about getting another Naz. I just think he could be better;)

Reactions: jcyclonee

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Every (relatively) unheralded shooting guard with a chip on his shoulder and a good attitude that we recruit is the next Naz Mitrou-Long.

Nah. McNeil is a better athlete at this point. If he gets to where he's built like Naz, he'll be much more versatile. I love Naz, don't get me wrong, but we're going to have guards that are better than him.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Nah. McNeil is a better athlete at this point. If he gets to where he's built like Naz, he'll be much more versatile. I love Naz, don't get me wrong, but we're going to have guards that are better than him.

@srjclone
@rholtgraves

I love your enthusiasm and hope you are right.

Let us not forget, though -- Naz just made second-team all-conference.

He is #2 all-time on the "most 3PTers" list in Ames. He hit some of the biggest shots in school history. He was there for the five best years we have ever had.

If he (Darius) is going to be that or better than that, well...

:D

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
@srjclone
@rholtgraves

He is #2 all-time on the "most 3PTers" list in Ames. He hit some of the biggest shots in school history. He was there for the five best years we have ever had.

His production may not be on the same level, which I suppose you could argue he wouldn't be as good then, but he's also a guy who's likely going to have to create much more than Naz. Until this year, Naz did a lot of floating around, waiting for Niang and Morris to do something and then benefited from that. Maybe more dynamic is a better way to put it.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
His production may not be on the same level, which I suppose you could argue he wouldn't be as good then, but he's also a guy who's likely going to have to create much more than Naz. Until this year, Naz did a lot of floating around, waiting for Niang and Morris to do something and then benefited from that. Maybe more dynamic is a better way to put it.

You are right that sophomore and junior Naz was mostly a sharpshooter -- a heck of a good one and always a useful piece, but not well-rounded offensively.

Naz last year was a terror. He was still that shooter lurking in the corner or on the top of the key for a screw-up from the defense and a reversal or kick from Morris or Burton, but he also would blow by defenders who sold out on close-outs, took it to the rim hard, and was the first guy looking to run the other way on the break and was REALLY creative and determined about finishing around the rim when he had a head of full-court steam going.

He was one of our primary creators. Monté barely beat him in scoring -- 575 to 530.

I would wonder how you see Darius' role as an underclassman and how it might develop as he grows up, grows bigger and stronger, and gains more experience and skill.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I like what McNeil can bring to the team. If he had 25 more pounds on his body he would be a 4 star and consensus Top 100 player. He has everything a coach could want from an incoming freshman. Solid outside shot, good finisher at the rim, and the work ethic a successful high major program demands. The rest can and will be taught.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
"They’re going to get thrown into the fire, too.” - Steve Prohm

^^^^^ My favorite quote in the article lol ^^^^^^^^^

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
@srjclone
@rholtgraves

1) McNeil is much more highly thought of recruit than Long was
2) He is more athletic than Naz has ever been and has a chance to be an elite defender
3) 1 second team all conference selection is nice but that was Long's ceiling.
4) he was a good 3pt shooter but those all time numbers don't mean much to me. He was a volume 3pt shooter in an era where ISU's style was to shoot a ton of 3s. I also don't see McNeil as volume 3pt shooter like Naz.
5) he did hit some big shots that doesn't mean he is an all time great. And he was here during 5 great years and was a great leader for the team but he was never even the second best player on the teams he was on.

I love Naz and he is one of my favorite but he is a kid that worked extremely hard and reached his ceiling as a player at ISU. McNeil, with the physical tools he has, has a much higher ceiling. Will he reach it? We don't know.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
@srjclone
@rholtgraves

I completely understand what Naz is, and didn't mean to downplay Naz's career. I am basing my opinion on what Naz was at Darius' age. Darius is far more of an intriguing prospect than Naz was out of high school. That isn't a bash on Naz or saying Darius will be better forsure. But right now, there is no doubt in my mind Darius is more athletic and a better driver with the ball than Naz was. If Darius can develop a consistent jumper like he seemed to be doing his SR year, we will be very very happy with his career as a cyclone.

I'm not a huge fan of the comparisons of past players to the current coming in solely for the reason that nobody is the same player, so it doesn't matter any way who we think they remind us of. And it usually just ends up becoming an argument that someone thinks a HSer is better than a Cyclone great, or why they won't be as good as a cyclone great. It is a lose lose haha.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron