RECRUITING: Elijah Brown to Oregon

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Don't fill all your schollys just to have them full. Anyone we get now prob won't be as good as someone we can get next year. Adding a sub par player would do more damage than harm.

I wouldn't fill it just to fill it, but I would take a chance on a grad transfer.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
clearly, missing on some of these guys is unfortunate. however, adding Beverly and Morrow to go with Shayok would still be very positive IMO. With the remaining scholly, perhaps this mystery recruit (still think is is DCJ) can provide an impact next year.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Maybe it's time for prohm to get an assistant that is a really good recruiter. Berry is probably our best recruiter at the moment. Robinson and Small are average recruiters at best imo.

Small was the lead on Lard and McNeill.

Robinson is the lead on Morrow and was on Brown and ended up the lead on Terrance Lewis.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Maybe it's time for prohm to get an assistant that is a really good recruiter. Berry is probably our best recruiter at the moment. Robinson and Small are average recruiters at best imo.

Actually Prohm is the best recruiter. Berry seems decent. But you are right I think the assistants need to get better. Prohm can't be expected to do all the heavy lifting. You need one guy on staff that is an ace recruiter who Prohm can just be the closer for. I don't know if they have that.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
9ReRvb8.png

this should get some riled up!

giphy.gif

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Even with McNeil is was Prohm's relentless recruiting that got that commitment. Same with Wigginton and Lewis. Small got Lard but he didn't have many options besides going to JUCO but ISU stayed with him. I don't think it is bad admitting they could have better assistants.

• Agree
Reactions: nallen34

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
clearly, missing on some of these guys is unfortunate. however, adding Beverly and Morrow to go with Shayok would still be very positive IMO. With the remaining scholly, perhaps this mystery recruit (still think is is DCJ) can provide an impact next year.
This is the best case scenario imo. It really sucks that we struck out on a transfer big man immediately available along with high profile wings. We will be in for a long year next year but the future beyond looks promising. We might have been kidding ourselves a bit thinking we could get past the recruiting gap that was left before CSP came in. If we have one season of struggles and return to competing for top of the conference, I can understand that.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

Agreed. If we can pick-up Beverly and Morrow, then it will help a lot. Obviously disappointing to miss some of the highly rated guys, and next year may be a step back, but lets keep the faith because if they do add Morrow and Shayok to the 2018 roster, that is starting to look like a really good collection of talent.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think Prohm hangs his recruiting hat on the relationships he creates with these young men. It makes it extremely more difficult when you have to condense the normal recruitment cycle into this 3 month crap shoot. I know Prohm has done transfer recruiting before, and he can land successful recruits, but it will be harder for him. What was the one thing that stood out about Marial Shayock's visit? How great of a connection he made with Prohm. No wonder he was the first to sign. I know Prohm made the hard push for Juiston, but in that case it was his coach who was promoting how much Prohm had been there, not Juiston himself, where as Lindell's main reason for coming to Iowa State was the relationship he made with Prohm.

I'm not making an excuse or anything. But, in a relaitonship-driven recruitment style you are going to miss on some of the high level transfers if they aren't basing their decisions on the trust they have in their coach, and more basing it on where they think they can showcase their talents best.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron