Desmond King wins Thorpe award

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If there was a Cyclone that could have been a 1st or 2nd round pick last year coming off of just winning the Jim Thorpe award, and he decided to stay for his senior year and then went in the 5th round, I would have no problem coming on here and admitting that financially he made a huge mistake.

Why can't Hawk fans simply admit this?? I don't get it? Because coming back to IC is ALWAYS the best decision in their minds for any player, because IC and the Hawks are so great nothing can compare to that?? Is that what it is? Mind boggling to me.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Could be wrong but I think he was projected as a late first/early second rounder last year. Right now he's projected as a late first rounder. Think the thing keeping him from going higher is lack of elite speed. Bigger point is he's done himself little if any harm coming back and will make lots and lots of money playing on Sundays.

Bump

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah that's what the reports were saying. Crazy. Definitely one of the biggest steals of the draft. Kid's gonna be fun to watch on Sundays.

So what's the difference between first or second round contracts compared to a fifth round contract?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
He was never a first or second round pick, no matter what the NFL guys predicted. 5'10, non elite speed, third round at best.

tumblr_obt9yoHpvC1r2pp2to1_500.gif

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
He made a career of playing against slow wide receivers in the B1G and then got continually exposed in bowl games when playing faster receivers. Guess what? All NFL receivers will be that fast. He's going to suck.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
He made a career of playing against slow wide receivers in the B1G and then got continually exposed in bowl games when playing faster receivers. Guess what? All NFL receivers will be that fast. He's going to suck.

Lazard clearly a big winner from yesterday. No more hiding in the slot and relegated to the "other" side of the field when they play Iowa. Of course he still has to actually catch the ball, but I'm sure CMC is working with him on that.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Nah. Maybe $700k-$1mill on that first contract at the most. But he's making millions and Chargers fans are loving that they got him. He's going into a really nice situation. Will be fun to watch.

Last year he was projected late first round or early second round. He got drafted in the fifth round. That's millions of dollars

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Last year he was projected late first round or early second round. He got drafted in the fifth round. That's millions of dollars

This year he was projected third and went fifth. So probably safe to say if he was projected first or second he'd have likely gone third or fourth. One of those things we'll never know. Important thing is he's making millions, is happy, with an organization that loves him. Great Hawkeye.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This year he was projected third and went fifth. So probably safe to say if he was projected first or second he'd have likely gone third or fourth. One of those things we'll never know. Important thing is he's making millions, is happy, with an organization that loves him. Great Hawkeye.

I thought he was projected 4th round this year? 2-3 round difference is millions of dollars

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron