**** Official NFL Draft 2017 Thread ****

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
This. Their stated goal in skipping the bowl, was to get better prepared for the draft. Both did exactly that. Can't go much higher than top 10.

There was all kinds of talk of how abandoning their team was going to turn off NFL teams. It didn't. That's all there is to it. Fournette and McCaffery made a business decision in skipping the bowls, and you'd be hard pressed to find any evidence to suggest that it was a bad one.

There was?

It's a bad look no matter what spin you put on it.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and Tailg8er

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There was?

It's a bad look to the former teammates and fans of the school he's leaving high and dry, but they are literally gambling tens of millions of dollars that they don't get hurt in the bowl game if they play.

And it's obviously not a bad look for NFL owners, GMs, and fans.

You may think it's a bad look, but get used to it, because now that it's been proven to be a nonfactor, more players are going to do it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There was?

There definitely was. Go back and read about it. Hot takes all over the place. Even had a big thread on it here on CF.
There's no need to spin anything. It didn't affect them at all. The league didn't care. More players are likely to do the same thing, now. They proved that a meaningless exhibition game is exactly that. The Ncaa would have them believe that skipping would be detrimental to their careers. That notion got exposed as bunk tonight. It's a great thing.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
https://www.google.com/amp/www.blac...-listed-as-first-round-pick-in-nfl-mock-draft

I'm not trying to take a shot at the kid or turn this into and Iowa/ISU thing. Was just curious on why he is still there.

3 mocks are listed in that article, 2 had him in the first round and the other had him in the third.

That is hardly a guarantee of a 1st round selection which is what your original post questioned.

NFL personnel seem to be split as to whether King will play CB in the NFL or be a safety. I would expect him to get drafted tonight.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
3 mocks are listed in that article, 2 had him in the first round and the other had him in the third.

That is hardly a guarantee of a 1st round selection which is what your original post questioned.

NFL personnel seem to be split as to whether King will play CB in the NFL or be a safety. I would expect him to get drafted tonight.
He was rated the 4th best nickel according to NFL Network. Fox Sports has him going 44th.

NFL.com has him 70th.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
There definitely was. Go back and read about it. Hot takes all over the place. Even had a big thread on it here on CF.
There's no need to spin anything. It didn't affect them at all. The league didn't care. More players are likely to do the same thing, now. They proved that a meaningless exhibition game is exactly that. The Ncaa would have them believe that skipping would be detrimental to their careers. That notion got exposed as bunk tonight. It's a great thing.

Agree - Mike and Mike were even talking about it this morning that "GMs were questioning how much these guys loved football if they skipped out on their bowl games" but that wasn't the case at all. I'm with you this is going to make bowl games meaningless in the coming years with more players with 1st/2nd round talent sitting out.

• Agree
Reactions: cyzygy11

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

For their bank accounts, yeah. But I don't see how the best players skipping bowl games is any good for college football. You actually think it's a good thing for the sport if somewhat meaningless games become even more meaningless?

I'm not trying to say my opinion matters more than the guys with money on the line, I'm just saying I don't think it's such a 'great thing' for the sport or fans.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
For their bank accounts, yeah. But I don't see how the best players skipping bowl games is any good for college football. You actually think it's a good thing for the sport if somewhat meaningless games become even more meaningless?

I'm not trying to say my opinion matters more than the guys with money on the line, I'm just saying I don't think it's such a 'great thing' for the sport or fans.

It's a great thing, because the NCAA is a corrupt cartel, and players realizing that they also have power is a fantastic thing. College football isn't going anywhere. It might have to adjust, but tough.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

So you are of the opinion that college football players that are guaranteed first round draft picks shouldn't be looking out for number 1 because it's bad for the NCAA?

Are you kidding me? The NCAA freaking invented looking out for number 1. EVERYTHING the NCAA does is about generating one more dollar for their "nonprofit" organization. And you expect me to feel bad that the NCAA is getting shafted because the players dare be selfish by looking out for number 1? Like I said, it sucks for the school and its fans, but don't pretend the NCAA is some kind of victim in this.