RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm not sure why you are insistent that any comment like that is such a big ******* deal. I believe UNLV is cheating. You don't. You think 5 star players are just going there because they love Vegas and think that saying anything bad about UNLV is some sort of crime.

WAY off base. I don't CARE if they are or are NOT cheating. If there are cheating and he went there we don't want him and he isn't a good fit for CSP's culture. If they are NOT cheating and he still went there, some on here can't get passed UNLV having anything to offer better then ISU.

I'm fine either way. If I were a D1 basketball talent it would take a lot of magical forces for me to go to ISU over 300+ other D1 schools. We have no secret sauce, no magic formula, no storied history in hoops to elevate us over anyone else.

We are ISU and CMC and CSP proudly sell that message. As long as all our programs continue to recruit kids of high character and skill in that order, we are in a wonderful place as a program regardless of any particular individual player that may or may not grace us with their presence.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hate losing the kid, but I especially hate losing him to UNLV. But whatever. Terrible decision for exposure, but he can play in an environment with no competition or expectations.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Would have loved to see him play for ISU but best of luck to him there. I'm sure he has his reasons for picking UNLV over others. Kid is from Jersey and Atlantic City is just a couple hours away from where he grew up. Going from NJ to KS, maybe he preferred that kind of atmosphere Vegas provides over the midwest. Oh well.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No it's not the same. When a player picks a lesser school over my program it's simply disappointing. When SEVERAL players pick the SAME lesser program over many different top 25 caliber teams it becomes a little fishy I'd say.

When it happens at a school with a rich history of the cheating, it's more than a little fishy. It's more like a tradition.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This is the same thing said by the jilted fan base of every recruiting decision that results in a kid going to what those fans see as a "lesser" program. It's as reliable as fans claiming the fix is in with the refs if their team loses a close game and their team doesn't shoot as many free throws.

And for the record, plenty of people go to UNLV basketball games. Not as many as Iowa State but still Top 35 in the country: http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/defa..._release_mens_basketball_attendance_final.pdf

You are either just being ignorant or just looking to pick a fight. No offense. This is not the same thing said by every fan base about every recruiting decision to a lesser program. But it is something said a lot about UNLV.

• Agree
Reactions: cyups2323

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The thing is, I would not have been surprised if he picked Rhode Island or Depaul because of being close to home and connections at Depaul. UNLV just doesn't make much sense. Even makes less sense for the 5 star kid when he could have played for Oregon or MSU.

Just looked at Menzies profile. Recruiter under Pitino...
Assistant coach Lafleur for some reason left providence where he was the associate head coach to go to UNLV... and he spent a lot of time recruiting for Calhoun....
Rob Jeter, long time Milwaukee coach is on the staff that was a big get.

So basically their head coach and assistant coach both spend time under guys with shady recruiting history in Pitino and Calhoun. So really that isn't that surprising and looking at their staff, they have a much better staff than ISU in terms of experience and recruiting history.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Quote from Randy Peterson's column in the DMR this morning...

"Juiston, according to people familiar with the process, was getting tugged every which way. Although Cyriak predicted either the Cyclones or Jayhawks would be the winner, Juiston’s AAU people were strongly backing UNLV."

Hmmmm...interesting...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-changes-iowa-states-hoops-outlook/306966001/

I am guessing LaFleur has east coast connections to this AAU program.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
WAY off base. I don't CARE if they are or are NOT cheating. If there are cheating and he went there we don't want him and he isn't a good fit for CSP's culture. If they are NOT cheating and he still went there, some on here can't get passed UNLV having anything to offer better then ISU.

I'm fine either way. If I were a D1 basketball talent it would take a lot of magical forces for me to go to ISU over 300+ other D1 schools. We have no secret sauce, no magic formula, no storied history in hoops to elevate us over anyone else.

We are ISU and CMC and CSP proudly sell that message. As long as all our programs continue to recruit kids of high character and skill in that order, we are in a wonderful place as a program regardless of any particular individual player that may or may not grace us with their presence.

ISU does have some secret sauce. We have a top 10 fan base. It is extremely fun for players to play in HIlton. You must not have been at the OU game where we came back from 21 where the place was going crazy, or dozens of other games like that. That type of environment is rare. Not many schools and travel 20,000 fans to a tournament (some don't even get into the arena).

Nov 11, 2011
I know some people on this board act like saying anything bad about another school is sour grapes and everything is always on the up and up and how dare anyone say anything bad about another school, but we can bash Iowa State all we want---it's one of Iowa State fans' worst traits.

But I will never be convinced that UNLV doesn't cheat. Hell, it's not even about Juiston, he's just a dumb juco player. But why on god's green earth do 5 star athletes commit there They always suck. It can't be fun playing for a losing team. And I know some people think Vegas is the end all be all. But basketball players can find alcohol, drugs, and girls in any college town, including Ames.

I don't know that it is UNLV directly paying players. But someone out in Vegas is paying people to go there. Shoe companies? Agents that are gambling? Who knows. But money changes hands.

I'm can't be sure this is the case for Juiston but it is my understanding that one of the advantages and appeal of Las Vegas and UNLV is the ability to get family members jobs in the community through many who support the program. May or may not be dirty but it can be an important factor for a young man to have members of his support system gain employment within the community where he goes to school.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Check your estrogen levels? It might be a tumor.

So you disagree with the people who are unhappy about this. It doesn't mean you need to be insulting. You talked about caring for those who wear the ISU uniform. I'll give you some similar advice. How about you not talk down to those who wear ISU on their sleeve; those who just want ISU basketball to get the best players it can, so that ISU is in the best position possible to win lots of games?

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

Anytime UNLV has roped in the kind of talent it has in the last 4 days its always come with an NCAA investigation. Maybe we will get another awesome hot tub photo out of the deal?

jp-tarkanian-2-jumbo.jpg

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
His AAU coach is a long time New Jersey basketball figurehead and has sent several players to UCONN, where assistant at UNLV LaFleur was a former assistant under Calhoun. So my guess is they worked together to get the kid to Vegas. Helping his family get jobs in vegas was probably part of the deal it sounds like. ISU didn't have a chance with that influence. The JUCO coach said that the AAU coach basically was Juiston's go to guy on what to do.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Quote from Randy Peterson's column in the DMR this morning...

"Juiston, according to people familiar with the process, was getting tugged every which way. Although Cyriak predicted either the Cyclones or Jayhawks would be the winner, Juiston’s AAU people were strongly backing UNLV."

Hmmmm...interesting...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-changes-iowa-states-hoops-outlook/306966001/
I strongly dislike how involved AAU coaches are. Let the recruit make his own decision using his own relationships and visits.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I strongly dislike how involved AAU coaches are. Let the recruit make his own decision using his own relationships and visits.

Yeah recruiting is a shady business. The AAU coach thing is how ISU landed some recruits in the past though. No connections with the AAU coach hurt ISU's chances a ton.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
In the end it's his decision and we want guys who are all in to come into our program. It does seem a little fishy if he wanted to go somewhere that wins games and will go to the tourney why he would pick UNLV. They finished last in the Mountain West conference with a 4-14 record. 11-21 overall. But in the end he had his reasons and I wish him the best of luck. Time to move on.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

See, I do care if they cheat. Not sure why you insist that everyone shouldn't care if they cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron