Iowa Basketball Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
My bad. For some reason I am misremembering that. In his first two games against real competition he was 1-7 from the floor and was a liability with the ball in his hands. Actually kind of making my point for me.

As for seton hall I bet they are in the tourney.

Tyler Cook was terrible his first game against a bad Kennesaw State team. You can't compare players that obviously have a ton of upside to a player like Bohannon who was a fallback recruit nobody wanted. Yeah Bohannon could get better but him getting better is probably still a below average Big Ten player

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It's always so interesting to me how our fans react to Iowa basketball.

It's clear that we have been the far better program since mad Fran stepped out on the court. They have improved but they have not been as consistently good as Iowa state. Mad Fran has beat Iowa state once. Mad Fran has had one NCAA finish better than us.

But yet every year, our own fans freak the hell out. Iowa is great defensively!! Cook is amazing! Bohanon is basically as good as monte was his freshman year (which is false).

Iowa lost to an ok team at home last night. Not a killer loss, but it's still a loss.

Last time ISU lost to a team at home that didn't finish the season ranked was UNI on 11/30/11, so it's hard for us Cyclone fans to fathom the suck that occurred in Carver last night.

Reactions: CyTwins

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
My bad. For some reason I am misremembering that. In his first two games against real competition he was 1-7 from the floor and was a liability with the ball in his hands. Actually kind of making my point for me.

As for seton hall I bet they are in the tourney.

You don't remember the game but you somehow remember the intricacies of how Monte played, impressive.

I get that you have a narrative that you're attempting to sell, but I'm never going to buy it.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I think people are too hard on Baer. Should he be starting this year? No. But he is better than people give him credit for. He does a little bit of everything.
He isn't nearly as good as the BTN boobs hyped him up to be and he's not as bad as some here make him out to be. Having a guy like him come off the bench to hustle and do the little things is something all teams need. Unfortunately the hawks will need him to do more than he's capable of. He's a good role player but not a starter/go to guy.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You don't remember the game but you somehow remember the intricacies of how Monte played, impressive.

I get that you have a narrative that you're attempting to sell, but I'm never going to buy it.
Agreed, especially because all I can remember about Monte's freshman year is how impressed I was with him. Rarely turned the ball over, and didn't force shots that he didn't have open.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Someone loves himself some Jobo
50489982E.jpg

What's not to love?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I didn't remember that it happened after the Michigan game. I remember the game very well, as it acquainted us with melvins middle finger and Mika's gouged eyes, resulting in Kane getting tossed and Monte assuming primary ballhandlong duties for the remainder of the game.

Monte was anything but impressive in his first games. Am I saying Bohannon will end up in the same place? Absolutely not and never did.

Reactions: isutrevman

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Actually according to advanced statistics our defense has been light years better than Iowa so far

Link? Kenpom has Iowa and Iowa State ranked ~50 an so ~70 in defensive efficiency. 2 points per 100 possessions isn't hardly a "light years" difference.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I didn't remember that it happened after the Michigan game. I remember the game very well, as it acquainted us with melvins middle finger and Mika's gouged eyes, resulting in Kane getting tossed and Monte assuming primary ballhandlong duties for the remainder of the game.

Monte was anything but impressive in his first games. Am I saying Bohannon will end up in the same place? Absolutely not and never did.

Monte has never had a stretch in his career where he looked half as bad as Bohannon did last night. He singlehandedly gave Seton Hall a cushion late in the game.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

Do you need to borrow a shovel?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Come on. Monte was solid, not trying to do too much, just manage the game and not make mistakes.. As a true freshman in early games that is all you can ask. JorBo was not solid, managed the game poorly and made multiple mistakes - so yeah, there was a huge difference and a comparison is beyond a stretch.

Just let it drop.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Do you need to borrow a shovel?

So you think seton hall is garbage? It sounds like you have plenty for me to borrow.

I distinctly remember the final minutes of the byu game without Kane. You tell me where I am wrong in that assessment. We could barely get the ball inbounds.

Edit: let me be clear: it probably wasn't as bad as bohannon yesterday, and Monte was and is better than him. I honestly don't think what I'm saying is controversial.

Second edit thought, I've been burned by just writing off some of these low ranked kids Fran has recruited. There have been a lot of McCabes and oglesby's, but there have been some marbles and whites as well. I'm just not willing to throw the kid totally under the bus.

Last edited:
Reactions: larry
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah but the BTN announcers last night said that Baer is the type of player everyone wants on their team o_O

I seriously don't understand what Fran is trying to accomplish over there. He is going 11 deep and the fall off from 5-11 is enormous. Fran is constantly rotating guys on and off the floor which completely takes his team out of sync. How do you not have your core 7 or 8? There are points in the game when there is only 1 starter on the floor! You can't justify doing this with Iowa talent.
Iowa had 7 guys play 19 or more minutes last night, and nobody else played more than 6. What are you talking about? Our PG's are not good defending right now, and it shows in fast breaks and slide bys, over and over. Iowa doesn't have a dominant five like ISU to play the majority of minutes, what should he do? Williams has size, but no speed. It's why ISU will abuse us there. Fran doesn't know what he has down low right now, and he's trying to find someone to step up besides Cook. Uhl is not the answer, and I personally would have loved to see Pemsl more. Finally, why does this board hate in state players like Bohannen so much? Honestly, I love to see those guys do well no matter where they go. ISU, UNI, Creighton, I always cheer for them. Weird. Good day and good luck this year.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
It's nothing personal. He's just the embodiment of "the right way" recruiting strategy that we've heard about since Fran came to Iowa. We're ridiculed by Iowa fans for not having more in-state guys on the team. But when you take in-state recruits, you get Jordan Bohannon.

He won't see many minutes? Is Williams going to play 34+ minutes every night? That should scare Iowa fans. How is it possible for a P5 program with three-ish straight NCAA tournament appearances to not have a PG on the roster?

I see what you did there.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
So you think seton hall is garbage? It sounds like you have plenty for me to borrow.

I distinctly remember the final minutes of the byu game without Kane. You tell me where I am wrong in that assessment. We could barely get the ball inbounds.
I think Seton Hall is most-definitely garbage this year. Isaiah Whitehead was all they had last year. Whenever I watched them, it was either he was rolling and so were they, or it was stagnant and hard to watch. You think Madison Jones is going to pick up that production with his, 4.7 career ppg average? No. They're probably a 5 or 6th seed in the Big East, that is not good enough to make a tourney as an At-Large. Tell me how they will beat out Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier, Creighton (even Marquette and St. John' will probably be at their level) Providence is depleted with Bentil and Dunn gone. But there is no way Seton Hall should be thought of as a Tourney team, and beating an Iowa Hawkeye team is not a reason to think any differently.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Finally, why does this board hate in state players like Bohannen so much? Honestly, I love to see those guys do well no matter where they go. ISU, UNI, Creighton, I always cheer for them. Weird. Good day and good luck this year.

I don't hate them, I just get sick of being told that we need to recruit every one of them by Iowa fans.

Most of them should go to uni. We recruit the good ones. Iowa recruits a lot of the ones that should go to uni and then tells us we are doing it wrong.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think Seton Hall is most-definitely garbage this year. Isaiah Whitehead was all they had last year. Whenever I watched them, it was either he was rolling and so were they, or it was stagnant and hard to watch. You think Madison Jones is going to pick up that production with his, 4.7 career ppg average? No. They're probably a 5 or 6th seed in the Big East, that is not good enough to make a tourney as an At-Large. Tell me how they will beat out Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier, Creighton (even Marquette and St. John' will probably be at their level) Providence is depleted with Bentil and Dunn gone. But there is no way Seton Hall should be thought of as a Tourney team, and beating an Iowa Hawkeye team is not a reason to think any differently.

I'll just trust kenpom, sagarin, and the ap poll which at least put them in the bubble convo.

Aug 14, 2009
I personally don't "hate" in state players. I'm just saying that guys like Bohannon and Baer aren't power 5 talent. Both of these guys would be really solid in the MVC though.

Regarding the rotation you can try to justify it as feeling out what you have but Mad Fran has been doing this for years...
"Justify" as in pointing out exactly how many minutes they played? Iowa played 8 man rotations the last couple years, I have no problem with that. Also, I get Baer doesn't look the part, but he can play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron