Bug Forum Sub Menu

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
This is very minor but thought I'd just report it.

It looks like the submenu under Forums tries to collapse if the browser width is less than 1170px.
When it does, it should move the menu items under the ellipse menu.
The ellipse menu is created, but it's empty.

Attaching a couple screenshots showing what I mean.

Not sure if this is just my browser (Google Chrome) or if anyone else is having the same issue.

All Menu.JPG

I circled the empty box that shows up when you click the ellipse menu.
Collapsed Menu.JPG

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I wonder if this is what is making the "new posts" button disappear for some?

EDIT- that did it! I pulled the edge out (it looked full screen but evidently not quite) and I've got my new posts button back!
That's exactly how I found it today
New Posts should collapse into that ellipse (...) menu. It's trying to do that but there's something going on with that menu.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This is happening to me on my phone. And the reason I'm using the desktop site on my phone is because the menu on the mobile site is so slow it's not usable anymore.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
This is happening to me on my phone. And the reason I'm using the desktop site on my phone is because the menu on the mobile site is so slow it's not usable anymore.

Thanks for the idea. I did that occasionally on the old site, but hadn't tried it yet on the new one. I just figured my slowness and jumpiness issues were due to a wireless signal problem. Maybe not.
Also, I had no idea about what should show on the site when it's narrowed because there's no slider at the bottom of the screen showing more real estate to one side or the other.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
How are you using the desktop site?
From what I can tell, the new site is responsive, meaning it "stretches" to fit whatever the window size it is given. There is no longer a desktop and mobile site. It is all one website that stretches or shrinks to fits any device.

Thanks for the idea. I did that occasionally on the old site, but hadn't tried it yet on the new one. I just figured my slowness and jumpiness issues were due to a wireless signal problem. Maybe not.
Also, I had no idea about what should show on the site when it's narrowed because there's no slider at the bottom of the screen showing more real estate to one side or the other.
There should never be a slider at the bottom of the screen. No matter how small the horizontal size of your screen is, the website will shrink to fit.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
From what I can tell, the new site is responsive, meaning it "stretches" to fit whatever the window size it is given. There is no longer a desktop and mobile site. It is all one website that stretches or shrinks to fits any device.

There should never be a slider at the bottom of the screen. No matter how small the horizontal size of your screen is, the website will shrink to fit.

I was thinking more about screen on my monitor, not a mobile friendly (responsive design) site for my phone. In any case, this is a good example of how responsive design might not do what it's intended to do -- show everything it "should" regardless of screen size and shape. I'm glad someone mentioned the missing items at the top and how they found them. I'm still not up to speed on the new site's look and organization, and I thought it was my own account that determined what I saw (or didn't see as the case may be.)

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

In Chrome on my Android phone there's a setting to 'Request desktop site'. And yes, there's a difference other than just 'stretching'.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
Yeah this exact issue annoys me on the iPad. When you have it on landscape you can't get to new posts because it collapses into the non existent ellipse drop down menu.