NFL: ***Official 2016 Fantasy Football Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That seems high for me. I'm scared Rawls will have nagging injuries all year and the Seahawks picked up a few more RBs this offseason as well. Not sure Rawls, even when healthy, will get the kind of workload Beastmode did.

Not only that, but I think the Seahawks are going to be more of a passing team post-Lynch. If you're definitely going Nelson or Rawls, I'd go with Nelson if only because he's a proven commodity. I'd roll the dice on him being ready to go by Week 1. Assuming he's healthy, he's a top three fantasy receiver.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Not only that, but I think the Seahawks are going to be more of a passing team post-Lynch. If you're definitely going Nelson or Rawls, I'd go with Nelson if only because he's a proven commodity. I'd roll the dice on him being ready to go by Week 1. Assuming he's healthy, he's a top three fantasy receiver.

Might be nitpicking, but I don't think I'd give him top 3. Brown - Beckham - Julio would be mine. He might be top 5, but I'd probably go Hopkins - Green next.

Either way, I agree with taking him ahead of Rawls without knowing any other info.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I made a league on ESPN for anyone who is interested.

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/join?leagueId=345719&inviteKey=4453a
Password: isunatchamps

...is it too late to join leagues on this board? I probably missed out :confused:

Looks like Hunter still has open spots in this league. We had a few dropping out of the Rulzzz league and haven't heard much back from the MFCF league but perhaps we'll have to merge those interested? I think we had 4 wanting to re-up. Rulzzz also mentioned he would play if it's a smaller league, iirc.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Looks like Hunter still has open spots in this league. We had a few dropping out of the Rulzzz league and haven't heard much back from the MFCF league but perhaps we'll have to merge those interested? I think we had 4 wanting to re-up. Rulzzz also mentioned he would play if it's a smaller league, iirc.

I'll play too if there aren't too many in it already. I don't want to take a spot from someone who doesn't have a league yet though.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Might be nitpicking, but I don't think I'd give him top 3. Brown - Beckham - Julio would be mine. He might be top 5, but I'd probably go Hopkins - Green next.

Either way, I agree with taking him ahead of Rawls without knowing any other info.

It's debatable for sure. In 2014 he was a top three receiver in most formats, but that was also two years ago. It's possible he comes back a half step slower or that some of the younger guys like the ones you mentioned have just passed by him. But if he is healthy and at full speed? Of all the guys you mentioned and Nelson, only Nelson has the benefit of playing with an elite fantasy QB in Aaron Rodgers. That puts him right near the top of the list.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
It's debatable for sure. In 2014 he was a top three receiver in most formats, but that was also two years ago. It's possible he comes back a half step slower or that some of the younger guys like the ones you mentioned have just passed by him. But if he is healthy and at full speed? Of all the guys you mentioned and Nelson, only Nelson has the benefit of playing with an elite fantasy QB in Aaron Rodgers. That puts him right near the top of the list.
I agree with you but if you do mock drafts, no one is taking him that early. I'd rather have Nelson than Rawls though.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just found out I pick #5 in 12 man PPR. I've always stuck to the strategy of going RB with my first pick when it's that high, has worked well but I'm not sure this time around. Can't trust Elliott with my top pick, I got Montee Balled a few years ago. Not convinced Gurley is worth it. Could possibly go Johnson but again not convinced. Latest word is that Lev Bell is going to win his appeal, if he does and is able to go week 1 he'd definitely be worth it but not certain he'd be there for me at 5.

I'm willing to be sold on Gurley and Johnson. What am I missing with those guys? Or with this year's RBs would I be better off changing up and going WR with my top pick?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Just found out I pick #5 in 12 man PPR. I've always stuck to the strategy of going RB with my first pick when it's that high, has worked well but I'm not sure this time around. Can't trust Elliott with my top pick, I got Montee Balled a few years ago. Not convinced Gurley is worth it. Could possibly go Johnson but again not convinced. Latest word is that Lev Bell is going to win his appeal, if he does and is able to go week 1 he'd definitely be worth it but not certain he'd be there for me at 5.

I'm willing to be sold on Gurley and Johnson. What am I missing with those guys? Or with this year's RBs would I be better off changing up and going WR with my top pick?

Unfortunately there's no way to know for sure if Bell is going to win his appeal yet or not. I don' think there's been any official ruling. I hate banking my fantasy season on a maybe.

If you do go with Bell, make DeAngelo Williams a priority. It will suck having to draft a handcuff that early, but he'll be worth it if Bell is out for any type of suspension, or, god forbid, gets hurt. I love that guy but he can't stay on the field.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Little worried about Gurley. I don't think he'll get as many carries as last year, and if he does, he might get hurt.

I'd just look at value after the first four pick. Some of them might reach and take a RB because they feel like they NEED to, and that will open up a top WR for you. I'd take a Julio Jones at 5 if AB, OBJ, are both gone. Someone will take Gurley really high and possibly David Johnson as well.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Little worried about Gurley. I don't think he'll get as many carries as last year, and if he does, he might get hurt.

I'd just look at value after the first four pick. Some of them might reach and take a RB because they feel like they NEED to, and that will open up a top WR for you. I'd take a Julio Jones at 5 if AB, OBJ, are both gone. Someone will take Gurley really high and possibly David Johnson as well.

I might have misread, his appeal is August 18 but I assumed that's when a decision would happen. Agree, not going to take him without knowing for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I'd rate it as follows: Brown, Julio, OBJ, Bell (Pending suspension) Johnson, Hopkins, Green, Gronk, Elliott, Gurley,

Depending on your scoring format PPR? - Bell can score what 200? If DWilliams can average 15 per week like he did last year with Bell out, then that should suffice. Put's it at 260 with huge upside. If Bell's suspension is uplifted, you just got the best rb in the league. I'm not big on Green, because if you look at his numbers last year, he was so inconsistent and 1-2 games pulled his average up, meaning he has a crappy standard deviation. An arguement can be made that Bengals lost a lot of targets and they have to go to someone. Hopkins should have a better qb throwing to him this year, after still scoring great numbers from a nobody last year. I like the upside of Johnson, since he pretty much lead FF last several weeks, so he's versitile that can catch passes out of the backfield. I see Gurley as being a bust, which not many do, but a valid arguement can be made. Gronk is Gronk. Elliott intrigues me much more than Gurley does.

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: Gonzo and cyhiphopp

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'd rate it as follows: Brown, Julio, OBJ, Bell (Pending suspension) Johnson, Hopkins, Green, Gronk, Elliott, Gurley,

Depending on your scoring format PPR? - Bell can score what 200? If DWilliams can average 15 per week like he did last year with Bell out, then that should suffice. Put's it at 260 with huge upside. If Bell's suspension is uplifted, you just got the best rb in the league. I'm not big on Green, because if you look at his numbers last year, he was so inconsistent and 1-2 games pulled his average up, meaning he has a crappy standard deviation. An arguement can be made that Bengals lost a lot of targets and they have to go to someone. Hopkins should have a better qb throwing to him this year, after still scoring great numbers from a nobody last year. I like the upside of Johnson, since he pretty much lead FF last several weeks, so he's versitile that can catch passes out of the backfield. I see Gurley as being a bust, which not many do, but a valid arguement can be made. Gronk is Gronk. Elliott intrigues me much more than Gurley does.

I had Green last season and yes, he drove me nuts week in and week out. Or I guess I should say Dalton drove me nuts. Seemed like early on he would pick his guy for each particular game and that's all he'd look to for 4 quarters. Ever since getting burned on Montee Ball a few years ago I've sworn off basing my top overall pick on upside, but Elliott is intriguing for sure.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I had Green last season and yes, he drove me nuts week in and week out. Or I guess I should say Dalton drove me nuts. Seemed like early on he would pick his guy for each particular game and that's all he'd look to for 4 quarters. Ever since getting burned on Montee Ball a few years ago I've sworn off basing my top overall pick on upside, but Elliott is intriguing for sure.

Ha, then I don't have to convince you to stay away from Green. There's guys like Marshall, Robinson, Nelson that I trust more in the 2nd round than him. I usually try to get an elite wr as 1st pick, but this year they are going early, that if you don't have a top 3-4 pick then rb is probably the way to go. I'd like to think DJ and Elliott are "safe" upside picks. I don't want to sound pretentious or saying I didn't believe in Ball, but I never understood the hype on him. Certain rookie situations you can feel out pretty well. I say that and I biffed on Gordon last year. But, if you take Elliott, just hand cuff Morris or Mcfaddan later on.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Someone may well strike gold with Elliot, but it wont be me. I just don't trust him to be first round good right away.

I don't think I'd ever take a rookie in the first round.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm drafting at the back end of the first round in a snake order draft in a ten team PPR league. In the past I've usually paired an elite pass catcher with their QB teammate (Brady/Gronk, for example) in those back to back picks and it's generally worked out pretty well.

But with the fantasy QB pool as deep as it is, I'm thinking about just taking the best two running backs left on the board at that point. I'd like to hold off on taking a QB until the fourth round or so, unless there's an unexpected run on them early.

Thoughts?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm drafting at the back end of the first round in a snake order draft in a ten team PPR league. In the past I've usually paired an elite pass catcher with their QB teammate (Brady/Gronk, for example) in those back to back picks and it's generally worked out pretty well.

But with the fantasy QB pool as deep as it is, I'm thinking about just taking the best two running backs left on the board at that point. I'd like to hold off on taking a QB until the fourth round or so, unless there's an unexpected run on them early.

Thoughts?

Standard or PPR?
I'd take a look at what's left on the board from the early first round. Someone has probably already reached somewhere ahead of you.
If you are drafting soon, you could take a shot and grab LeVeon Bell with one of your picks. He "might" miss the first 4 games, but he's a superstar when he's on the field. If you grab another solid RB with your other sandwich pick then you could be swimming in RBs after week 4.

You could also luck out and Bell gets his appeal approved. Then you got a top 3 pick at the end of the first.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Standard or PPR?
I'd take a look at what's left on the board from the early first round. Someone has probably already reached somewhere ahead of you.
If you are drafting soon, you could take a shot and grab LeVeon Bell with one of your picks. He "might" miss the first 4 games, but he's a superstar when he's on the field. If you grab another solid RB with your other sandwich pick then you could be swimming in RBs after week 4.

You could also luck out and Bell gets his appeal approved. Then you got a top 3 pick at the end of the first.

PPR. Bell's a good possibility. The ultimate boom or bust proposal would be Bell and Zeke Elliott. I'm convinced that those two will both be top five fantasy running backs or total duds - Bell due to suspensions/injuries, and Elliott due to possibly being overrated. Not much middle ground.