Fox X-Men (Marvel) Movie/TV Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Like I've talked earlier, over the past couple weeks as a lead-up to Deadpool/Apocalypse, I've re-watched all the X-Men movies in chronological order (time) in order to gain a new unbiased perspective on them. Shoot, it has been over 10 years since I've seen some of them and nostalgia can really mess with perception, so I wanted to throw that all out. With that said, I just finished up my adventure by finally seeing Deadpool last night, and as promised, here is my new rankings of all the films.

1. X-2: X-Men United - When I think of an X-Men movie, this is the movie I think of. Great acting, great storyline, and probably contains maybe my two favorite X-Men action sequences ever (Nightcrawler in White House, Wolverine going berserk on a Swat team in the Mansion). Lastly, after this movie, Nightcrawler became my favorite X-Men character ever.
2. X-Men: Days of Future Past - Most genius way ever to not only reboot a franchise/storyline, but also honor the old cast of actors while still passing the baton off to the new group characters. Great action, great acting, great cinematography (Opening scene and Quicksilver scene), and great creativity in fitting everything together. Literally is one of those "we are giving you everything we've got" movie. Personally, I absolute hate everything about the 70s time period, but I still liked this movie a lot, so that says something.
3. The Wolverine - While this may be higher than many will rank this movie, I just loved the creativity in the new setting. The colors, the actors and the cinematography was all great. I thought this was Wolverine at his best. On the down side, I never really got into the Silver Samurai robot at the end, so I liked the first 2/3 of the movie better than the last 1/3.
4. Deadpool - I know many people are going crazy for this and would rank it higher than me, but this type of movie is just never going to be my cup of tea and that's okay. Due to many things, I'm just not a raunchy comedy type of guy. However, I do appreciate good film making, and from a creativity film-making standpoint of producing something new and fun out of a simple origin story, there is a lot of brilliance behind this movie that I respect, especially on such a low budget. So, while it isn't my type of movie, I've still got to rank it as a good movie.
5. X-Men: First Class - Good new origin story of Magneto and Charles and great new casting of characters moving forward. I liked this movie, but just didn't have anything I loved. Deep down though, i just hate everything that has to do with the 60s or 70s, so that inevitably probably worked against this movie. Still liked it though.
6. X-Men - This was the surprising one due to past built-up nastalgia, but this movie really felt super dated and fell flat for me. There is very little action and what there was wasn't good. You could really tell they were working with a low budget. Even the acting was amazingly bad from what I remembered (kids are easy to entertain). Nevertheless, I've got to respect how this kicked off the X-Men movie franchise, and even more so, really kicked-off and pioneered what we know today as the modern super-hero movie. It really was the first, so props.
7. X-Men: The Last Stand - Truthfully, I didn't hate this movie as much as other people did. I thought the acting was decent, the action was decent (very CGI based), but the story-line was its main flaw. The thing just ruined and killed off too many characters, almost like a very last movie of an entire franchise does. Regardless, I still didn't mind this film overall and was entertained.
8. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Not much good to talk about here, but it was remotely entertaining, mostly because it had Wolverine in it. Bad storytelling, bad cinematography, bad action sequences (was at the height of ridiculously bad CGI-orgie over-the-top action sequences), and terrible use of characters, particularly Deadpool. This is a prime example of what straying too far from the source material gets you.

Well, there you go. For fun though as a comparison, here is the Rotten Tomatoes rankings to compare mine against. As you can see, I stray some from these, but not terribly far.

Rotten Tomatoes Rankings:
1. X-Men: Days of Future Past - Rating: 7.6 (91% liked)
2. X-2: X-Men United - Rating: 7.5 (86% liked)
3. X-Men: First Class - Rating: 7.4 (87% liked)
4. X-Men - 7.1 (81% liked)
5. Deadpool - 6.9 (83% liked)
6. The Wolverine - 6.3 (70% liked)
7. X-Men: The Last Stand - 5.9 (58% liked)
8. X-Men Origins: 5.1 (38% liked)

What does everyone else think? Feel free to post your rankings.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
CcKWZN3W8AA-DW8.jpg:large

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
[h=4]Fox/Marvel/Gambit[/h]Fox has released a new schedule for its slate of films between now and March 2018—and not only has Gambit been unlisted entirely, losing its October 7, 2016 slot, two untitled Fox/Marvel films have landed on October 6, 2017, and January 12, 2018. There’s a good chance that one of those may be a Deadpool sequel, or even X-Force—but for now, it’s all speculation. [Joblo]

http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-are-the-two-mysterious-marvel-movies-that-fox-just-1761875719

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
New X-Men Apocalypse Trailer just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk

Sweet trailer that has made me even more stoked for this movie. However, with that said, I'm still a bit more excited for both Batman vs Superman and Civil War, which isn't anything against this movie, but just a testament as to how awesome this spring will be for comic book movies. I'm still in the boat that 2016 will be the best year ever for superhero movies. It already is it in the sheer volume category.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Sweet trailer that has made me even more stoked for this movie. However, with that said, I'm still a bit more excited for both Batman vs Superman and Civil War, which isn't anything against this movie, but just a testament as to how awesome this spring will be for comic book movies. I'm still in the boat that 2016 will be the best year ever for superhero movies. It already is it in the sheer volume category.

That was good. I'll place it right after Civil War, but I'm definitely going.
Batman vs. Superman is a maybe. I'm way more likely to just skip that one.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Like I've talked earlier, over the past couple weeks as a lead-up to Deadpool/Apocalypse, I've re-watched all the X-Men movies in chronological order (time) in order to gain a new unbiased perspective on them. Shoot, it has been over 10 years since I've seen some of them and nostalgia can really mess with perception, so I wanted to throw that all out. With that said, I just finished up my adventure by finally seeing Deadpool last night, and as promised, here is my new rankings of all the films.

1. X-2: X-Men United - When I think of an X-Men movie, this is the movie I think of. Great acting, great storyline, and probably contains maybe my two favorite X-Men action sequences ever (Nightcrawler in White House, Wolverine going berserk on a Swat team in the Mansion). Lastly, after this movie, Nightcrawler became my favorite X-Men character ever.
2. X-Men: Days of Future Past - Most genius way ever to not only reboot a franchise/storyline, but also honor the old cast of actors while still passing the baton off to the new group characters. Great action, great acting, great cinematography (Opening scene and Quicksilver scene), and great creativity in fitting everything together. Literally is one of those "we are giving you everything we've got" movie. Personally, I absolute hate everything about the 70s time period, but I still liked this movie a lot, so that says something.
3. The Wolverine - While this may be higher than many will rank this movie, I just loved the creativity in the new setting. The colors, the actors and the cinematography was all great. I thought this was Wolverine at his best. On the down side, I never really got into the Silver Samurai robot at the end, so I liked the first 2/3 of the movie better than the last 1/3.
4. Deadpool - I know many people are going crazy for this and would rank it higher than me, but this type of movie is just never going to be my cup of tea and that's okay. Due to many things, I'm just not a raunchy comedy type of guy. However, I do appreciate good film making, and from a creativity film-making standpoint of producing something new and fun out of a simple origin story, there is a lot of brilliance behind this movie that I respect, especially on such a low budget. So, while it isn't my type of movie, I've still got to rank it as a good movie.
5. X-Men: First Class - Good new origin story of Magneto and Charles and great new casting of characters moving forward. I liked this movie, but just didn't have anything I loved. Deep down though, i just hate everything that has to do with the 60s or 70s, so that inevitably probably worked against this movie. Still liked it though.
6. X-Men - This was the surprising one due to past built-up nastalgia, but this movie really felt super dated and fell flat for me. There is very little action and what there was wasn't good. You could really tell they were working with a low budget. Even the acting was amazingly bad from what I remembered (kids are easy to entertain). Nevertheless, I've got to respect how this kicked off the X-Men movie franchise, and even more so, really kicked-off and pioneered what we know today as the modern super-hero movie. It really was the first, so props.
7. X-Men: The Last Stand - Truthfully, I didn't hate this movie as much as other people did. I thought the acting was decent, the action was decent (very CGI based), but the story-line was its main flaw. The thing just ruined and killed off too many characters, almost like a very last movie of an entire franchise does. Regardless, I still didn't mind this film overall and was entertained.
8. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Not much good to talk about here, but it was remotely entertaining, mostly because it had Wolverine in it. Bad storytelling, bad cinematography, bad action sequences (was at the height of ridiculously bad CGI-orgie over-the-top action sequences), and terrible use of characters, particularly Deadpool. This is a prime example of what straying too far from the source material gets you.

Well, there you go. For fun though as a comparison, here is the Rotten Tomatoes rankings to compare mine against. As you can see, I stray some from these, but not terribly far.

Rotten Tomatoes Rankings:
1. X-Men: Days of Future Past - Rating: 7.6 (91% liked)
2. X-2: X-Men United - Rating: 7.5 (86% liked)
3. X-Men: First Class - Rating: 7.4 (87% liked)
4. X-Men - 7.1 (81% liked)
5. Deadpool - 6.9 (83% liked)
6. The Wolverine - 6.3 (70% liked)
7. X-Men: The Last Stand - 5.9 (58% liked)
8. X-Men Origins: 5.1 (38% liked)

What does everyone else think? Feel free to post your rankings.

1. X-2
1A. First Class (these top two I can't imagine how you could translate X-Men better to a live action movie)
3. X-Men
4. DoFP
5. Wolverine
6. Origins: Wolverine
7. X-men 3
8. Haven't seen Deadpool but I never really liked Deadpool growing up collecting X-Men comics so I can't imagine how it could possibly be higher than 5 or 6 even if it's well done. I've also learned to completely distrust reviews of comic book movies after Ant Man somehow got great reviews and I thought it was horrible.

The 90s X-Men cartoon is actually pretty incredible too by Saturday morning cartoon standards.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
That was good. I'll place it right after Civil War, but I'm definitely going.
Batman vs. Superman is a maybe. I'm way more likely to just skip that one.

Shoot, Batman vs Superman is probably #1 on my list right now. I've already got tickets for opening night. Out of all of them, I'm really rooting for it to be a big success as that whole universe really needs to get started off on a good footing. It definitely has the biggest ramifications to its universe than the other two. Overall, 3 successful universes is way better than 2 and would mean more good quality movies in the future.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Shoot, Batman vs Superman is probably #1 on my list right now. I've already got tickets for opening night. Out of all of them, I'm really rooting for it to be a big success as that whole universe really needs to get started off on a good footing. It definitely has the biggest ramifications to its universe than the other two. Overall, 3 successful universes is way better than 2 and would mean more good quality movies in the future.

Maybe, but I think this bubble is pushing its limit. I'm just enjoying the parts I like while they're here.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
1. X-2
1A. First Class (these top two I can't imagine how you could translate X-Men better to a live action movie)
3. X-Men
4. DoFP
5. Wolverine
6. Origins: Wolverine
7. X-men 3
8. Haven't seen Deadpool but I never really liked Deadpool growing up collecting X-Men comics so I can't imagine how it could possibly be higher than 5 or 6 even if it's well done. I've also learned to completely distrust reviews of comic book movies after Ant Man somehow got great reviews and I thought it was horrible.

The 90s X-Men cartoon is actually pretty incredible too by Saturday morning cartoon standards.

Not the exact same as mine, but a respectable list for sure. While we might be living in the golden age of comic book movies, the 90s was definitely the golden age of comic book Sunday morning cartoons for sure. As much as I loved the 90s X-Men cartoon series, I loved the Spider-Man one that much more.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not the exact same as mine, but a respectable list for sure. While we might be living in the golden age of comic book movies, the 90s was definitely the golden age of comic book Sunday morning cartoons for sure. As much as I loved the 90s X-Men cartoon series, I loved the Spider-Man one that much more.

I think Origins Wolverine was really hurt by two things. The handling of Deadpool, and that hard core comics/movie nerds saw the it via the leaked version on their computer screen that had wire models for most of the key special effects rather than in actual movie theaters. Had the unfinished version never leaked and Deadpool been removed or changed I think it's pretty well received and fits in with X1/X2 pretty seamlessly. Never get anybody to agree with me but I like it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
True. I think the Infinity War is the end of it all. Sure, they're scheduling past that, but I think the public will be done.

I kind of think so too. I work in toy design and I'm glad hero movie based stuff is maybe 20-30% of our biz at best with a lot of eggs in other baskets. It's destined to crash or have a lull for a decade or so. Some other companies doing similar stuff right now maybe have 90% of their male focus exclusively on heroes/star wars. Star Wars will be the same in a decade or two if Disney follows through on the one or more Star Wars movies a year for the rest of our lives strategy.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
True. I think the Infinity War is the end of it all. Sure, they're scheduling past that, but I think the public will be done.

You are right in the fact that IF it is going to pop, that would be a good logical time. Many people are calling it similar the the age of the Western movies and how they popped. However, people forget that the Westerns were popular for nearly 30 years, which is a really long time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I kind of think so too. I work in toy design and I'm glad hero movie based stuff is maybe 20-30% of our biz at best with a lot of eggs in other baskets. It's destined to crash or have a lull for a decade or so. Some other companies doing similar stuff right now maybe have 90% of their male focus exclusively on heroes/star wars. Star Wars will be the same in a decade or two if Disney follows through on the one or more Star Wars movies a year for the rest of our lives strategy.

No doubt. Gotta be careful with the cash cows.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I also think whether or not we see a pop soon depends a lot on the quality of the movies coming out. If we suddenly get a few stinkers in a row, that would greatly increase the odds. If not, I think things keep trucking.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

I feel better about this movie after that trailer. I was concerned this movie would suck based on the previous trailers.
I am guessing since JLaw isn't doing another movie, they will kill off her character.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You are right in the fact that IF it is going to pop, that would be a good logical time. Many people are calling it similar the the age of the Western movies and how they popped. However, people forget that the Westerns were popular for nearly 30 years, which is a really long time.

It makes me wonder if there will still be randomly awesome comic book movies once every 3-4 years post-bust like epic Westerns in the 90s/00s. Somehow I feel like comic movies will either be several awesome ones a year or zero.