Fox X-Men (Marvel) Movie/TV Universe

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
This is exactly why it's so poorly regarded. A lot of that movie was pretty decent. Then they just crapped the bed with the ending.

The Wolverine was much better as an overall story at least.

Eh, so many duder moments in that movie made me roll my eyes. That opening scene of the gun idiot shooting all around was so stupid. The fugee guy was bad, Gambit was kind of wasted. Emma Frost wasted cameo. Walking away from explosion scene. Somehow wolverines claws let him cut through everything like a light saber including a roughly 6 inch steel door.
everyone just goes along with doing terrible things despite having world changing powers but it takes a guy with metal claws to bring everything down.
And to top it off, they take a big running **** on deadpool to finish it off.
That movie was terrible.
The second wolverine was much better but still had some rough moments.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree that it would be a mess to incorporate the xmen in, the only logical point that I could think off of the top of my head would have been during the civil war and the registration act. It would have made the civil war more on scale with the comics. But i have im resigned that xmen and deadpool arent going to ever be part of that universe.

On the other hand if Marvel can get the fantastic four and the silver surfer back I would be pumped. They would be a lot easier to bring into the MCU as well.

Overall I agree with you that having these 3 universes is nice because of the quantity and quality of the movies currently. I will probably be less thrilled though as I start to see some of the major or iconic storylines in the comics being changed because of limits on who can be used by what studio.

For what marvel has planned, silver surfer is the biggest missing peace. Outside of Adam warlock and Thanos, he's a key character in all the infinity and cosmic stuff.

Agree with others that having quality x-men split out is better for all properties.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Eh, so many duder moments in that movie made me roll my eyes. That opening scene of the gun idiot shooting all around was so stupid. The fugee guy was bad, Gambit was kind of wasted. Emma Frost wasted cameo. Walking away from explosion scene. Somehow wolverines claws let him cut through everything like a light saber including a roughly 6 inch steel door.
everyone just goes along with doing terrible things despite having world changing powers but it takes a guy with metal claws to bring everything down.
And to top it off, they take a big running **** on deadpool to finish it off.
That movie was terrible.
The second wolverine was much better but still had some rough moments.

You do speak a lot of truth in there.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
For what marvel has planned, silver surfer is the biggest missing peace. Outside of Adam warlock and Thanos, he's a key character in all the infinity and cosmic stuff.

Agree with others that having quality x-men split out is better for all properties.

You are right that all those guys are big players and it would be great to see them all. Obviously, more of Thanos is coming up already and we've technically already seen Adam Warlock in the cacoon. I'm sure more of him will eventually come. With that said, one cosmic guy I can't wait for too is Nova. I'm sure he is eventually in the works, but I was bummed when James Gunn said he isn't in Guardians 2. Bummer.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Good point on the end there on being forced to alter some major story lines to make things work, but I guess that is just the way it is. Yeah, to integrate the X-Men/mutants into the MCU would be a disaster. The thing about mutants is that they need to have been there present all along in the MCU from the get go. Thousands of mutants can't just suddenly appear and if they have been there from the get-go, it wouldn't make sense that we haven't heard or seen anything of them so far. If it were just a few mutants out there, sure. However, the mutant world of the X-Men contains thousands of mutants all over the world. On the flip side, Inhumans work perfect as they have essentially been here all along, but just haven't been introduced to the terrigen mist, which allows Inhumans powers to finally surface and appear. Now, introduce the terrigen mist (like they have already in Agents of Shield) and BOOM, its like you can have thousands of mutants appear out of nowhere and it makes complete sense. Problem is that the Inhuman characters aren't as well known as the Mutant ones, so the MCU will pretty much have to try their best to raise up their popularity from somewhat scratch.

As for the Fantastic Four. Yeah, it would have been ideal to have them come in earlier, but nothing says they can't come in now.

I think you said you weren't up to date on the current season of AoS, but basically the event activating thousands of Inhumans globally has already happened on the show. Won't go into any more detail than that to avoid spoilers.

There is also the Inhumans movie scheduled (though I think recently pushed back), which I assume is to do as you suggest, raise their profile among the general MCU audience.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think you said you weren't up to date on the current season of AoS, but basically the event activating thousands of Inhumans globally has already happened on the show. Won't go into any more detail than that to avoid spoilers.

There is also the Inhumans movie scheduled (though I think recently pushed back), which I assume is to do as you suggest, raise their profile among the general MCU audience.

Yeah, you are right. I'm not up to date on AOS as I haven't watched any of the current ongoing season (season 3) yet. I do remember at the end of 2 with the fish oil, so I guessed something like that. Please, no spoilers further as I will be watching season 3 soon. I do know that there is some beef between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios (movies) over the Inhumans and the shows already use of them. In fact, for the longest time, there was rumor that the Inhumans movie was supposed to be cancelled, which hasn't happened yet. However, it will be interesting to see how they interplay that with what has already happened on the show as they show has already done a LOT. There has got to be some spoil there as to what the movies wanted to do.

With all that said, no spoilers, but what are your thoughts on AOS season 3 so far? Do you like it? Sorry about this not being X-Men related as I won't go past this.

Last edited:

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Haven't seen how Apocalypse will end, obvs, but the next direction to go should be Mr. Sinister. Now that we have a young Cyclops and Jean on the roster, focus the story on their potential and future leaders of the group, and have Sinister be the foil to that development by trying to use them for his own purpose. Then you can feature the Marauders as Sinister's henchmen, maybe a proper Sabretooth, and give your recast Wolverine a proper tussle with his nemesis.

And for Deadpool, I haven't seen it yet, but Ryan Reynolds said he wants to do X-Force. In my mind I see 'Deadpool vs X-Force' and you can bring in Cable, Domino, Shatterstar, Warpath (even though he was featured in X:DoFP), and maybe Feral or Cannonball. Make the whole thing a ridiculous sendup of the 90s, with big pouches and guns and little feet. God that would be amazing.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
With all that said, no spoilers, but what are your thoughts on AOS season 3 so far? Do you like it? Sorry about this not being X-Men related as I won't go past this.

There have been a few bumps in the road, but all in all I think AOS has only gotten better with each season. Of course, maybe I'm just a big fanboy of the MCU.

I think X Men First Class and Days of Future Past have been great and am looking forward to Apocalypse.

On a side note, I don't know how much longer these comic book movies will be popular, so I think we should enjoy the time right now in case there isn't anything after 2020 or so. Hopefully I'm wrong though. Cue dramatic music.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Like I've said earlier, I've been re-watching all the films over the past week in a lead-up to me seeing Deadpool. So far, I've watched all the blu-rays by finishing up DOFP last night. Just need to see Deadpool now. Anyway, watching DOFP again got me thinking on Quicksilver, who is a weird character in the fact that both the MCU and X-Men have the rights to use him (I think it is a weird situation in the contract). With that said, which Quicksilver do you like better? The non-mutant Avengers: Age of Ultron one, or the X-Men universe mutant one?

Personally, I think the X-Men one is more fun, but I definitely prefer the Age of Ultron one. All said and done though, I don't necessarily like what they've done with either. The X-Men one is just too goofy and weird looking for me, and doesn't fit the character as well. However, while the Age of Ultron one fits better, they did a terrible job of developing him, truly explaining his origin, and then simply killed him off, even though the audience isn't particularly attached to him yet. It was obviously one of those things where the writers definitely wanted to kill somebody off in the movie, but weren't allowed to kill anybody more important off quite yet.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Haven't seen how Apocalypse will end, obvs, but the next direction to go should be Mr. Sinister. Now that we have a young Cyclops and Jean on the roster, focus the story on their potential and future leaders of the group, and have Sinister be the foil to that development by trying to use them for his own purpose. Then you can feature the Marauders as Sinister's henchmen, maybe a proper Sabretooth, and give your recast Wolverine a proper tussle with his nemesis.

And for Deadpool, I haven't seen it yet, but Ryan Reynolds said he wants to do X-Force. In my mind I see 'Deadpool vs X-Force' and you can bring in Cable, Domino, Shatterstar, Warpath (even though he was featured in X:DoFP), and maybe Feral or Cannonball. Make the whole thing a ridiculous sendup of the 90s, with big pouches and guns and little feet. God that would be amazing.

Damn I miss New Mutants/X-Force. I love that we got to see Sunspot and Warpath already but they'd be great parts of a New Mutants or X-Force movie.

Lots of marketing opportunity if they were to cast some really good teenage leads for the movies.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Quicksilver was in a "free-agent" pool of Marvel characters.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Yeah, you are right. I'm not up to date on AOS as I haven't watched any of the current ongoing season (season 3) yet. I do remember at the end of 2 with the fish oil, so I guessed something like that. Please, no spoilers further as I will be watching season 3 soon. I do know that there is some beef between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios (movies) over the Inhumans and the shows already use of them. In fact, for the longest time, there was rumor that the Inhumans movie was supposed to be cancelled, which hasn't happened yet. However, it will be interesting to see how they interplay that with what has already happened on the show as they show has already done a LOT. There has got to be some spoil there as to what the movies wanted to do.

I'd agree with the other poster that each season of AoS has gotten better. This 1st half of season 3 was pretty much awesome from start to finish without the usual clunkers along the way that had hurt the first two seasons.

This shouldn't be a spoiler since it sounds like you've seen all of Season 2 (not to mention the TV promo ads running if you ever watch ABC), but this season is basically setting up the formation of the Secret Warriors. It is kind of hard to understand how the show wouldn't closely tie to any Inhumans movie given how involved they have been so far.

We have got off topic though!

I'll be interested to see where the X-men movies go next after Apocalypse. That's basically the ultimate showdown for the X-men that doesn't involve the greater Marvel Universe. Would they ever venture into all the crazy stuff that went down in the comics like Sauron and the Savage Land?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Quicksilver was in a "free-agent" pool of Marvel characters.

Here's a cool infographic to that effect:
marvel-rights-13334x10667%20(1)-1.png

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Like I've said earlier, I've been re-watching all the films over the past week in a lead-up to me seeing Deadpool. So far, I've watched all the blu-rays by finishing up DOFP last night. Just need to see Deadpool now. Anyway, watching DOFP again got me thinking on Quicksilver, who is a weird character in the fact that both the MCU and X-Men have the rights to use him (I think it is a weird situation in the contract). With that said, which Quicksilver do you like better? The non-mutant Avengers: Age of Ultron one, or the X-Men universe mutant one?

Personally, I think the X-Men one is more fun, but I definitely prefer the Age of Ultron one. All said and done though, I don't necessarily like what they've done with either. The X-Men one is just too goofy and weird looking for me, and doesn't fit the character as well. However, while the Age of Ultron one fits better, they did a terrible job of developing him, truly explaining his origin, and then simply killed him off, even though the audience isn't particularly attached to him yet. It was obviously one of those things where the writers definitely wanted to kill somebody off in the movie, but weren't allowed to kill anybody more important off quite yet.

I like the X Men one, but mostly because I really like the actor. It was kinda cheesy, but I still liked it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
WTH is Namor? I'm not really a comic book nerd I guess.

You don't know of The Sub-Mariner?

He's basically the Marvel equivalent of Aquaman.

There was talk about a movie, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron