Hawkeyes Basketball

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Karma is a ***** ain't it Iowa fans? You all talked **** when you were at the top but like the football team, once you played someone with a pulse you can't compete. Welcome back down to earth Iowa fans.

Unlike the football team, the basketball team actually played a strong conference schedule at the start. The 10-1 start came against the tougher 2/3 of the schedule. They've been struggling against the middle of the pack and bottom teams (plus Indiana) for the last several weeks.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Iowa's entrance music going forward:

[video=youtube;1lWJXDG2i0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A[/video]

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Unlike the football team, the basketball team actually played a strong conference schedule at the start. The 10-1 start came against the tougher 2/3 of the schedule. They've been struggling against the middle of the pack and bottom teams (plus Indiana) for the last several weeks.

Michigan State minus Valentine is no better than Penn State. Michigan State with a 50% Valentine was no better than Wisconsin, and I know this because they lost to Wisconsin (and Nebraska too) when he came back. I will give you the Purdue wins. Those were good, solid wins. But lets not ignore the facts.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
That loss last night, was almost like losing twice. They let Indiana score 47 in the first half, and we're down by about 15 in the second. It looked like their collapse was complete, but props to them, they made a great comeback, and looked like their January team, then Fran happened.

He pulled there younger, smaller lineup, to put in Woodbury. They traded some buckets, Iowa even got the lead briefly, but inevitably they missed free throws and gave up a 3 pointer, to finish the second collapse of the game.

I honestly believe, if Iowa could have completed the comeback, that may have propelled them to turning their season back around. The crowd was into it, and you can see a distinct difference when their players are playing just a little harder.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
to be fair they are HS sweethearts I believe.

Just read a nice article on them. They met in college at Wisconsin. She was on the golf team. I always thought that he came to Iowa to be with her, but he transferred to Iowa and she stayed in Wisconsin during that year. They are getting married this summer. This is probably more info about the girlfriend of an Iowa player than anyone cares to know, but her brothers are/were all-american wrestlers at Wisconsin.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...e-jarrod-uthoff-hawkeyes-senior-day/81101720/

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Whar Hok trolls go? There was 20 or so of them and their numbers dropped as fast as their teams rankings

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
In his defense we win two home games against bottom feeders and we think the worm has turned. One good week and everyone is high. One bad week and everyone is low. That is sports journalism.

No, that's exactly the point. A journalist should know better. His job right now, however, is to push a pro-Hawkeye agenda to the masses that prefer their opinions filtered and fluffy. Same with Peterson. The biases of the Register's beat reporters are embarrassing.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't know, I need Woodbury tears before the collapse is considered Fran's best.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Michigan State minus Valentine is no better than Penn State. Michigan State with a 50% Valentine was no better than Wisconsin, and I know this because they lost to Wisconsin (and Nebraska too) when he came back. I will give you the Purdue wins. Those were good, solid wins. But lets not ignore the facts.

This is so true. Iowa would get rolled right now by Michigan State if they played again. Its obvious both Iowa wins were due to Valentine being hurt. I'll admit giving them a little too much credit for winning in East Lansing, Valentine was just returning from injury and was obviously rusty as they were struggling to get back into the flow.

I guess the 2 Purdue wins were nice but what have they done besides that? Their best wins in the non-conf were against 2 NIT level teams in Florida State and Marquette. The Wichita State win was a complete fraud as they were without their best player that game also.

So their season basically boils down to a couple NIT level wins, 2 good wins against Purdue who is probably a 6 seed at best, and 3 wins against powerhouse teams shorthanded.

Whats even funnier is where they relied on teams missing key players earlier in the season, now they cant even take advantage of that factor. Ohio State is playing without Tate, their second leading scorer and rebounder. Indiana swept them even after losing their 2nd leading scorer Blackmon to injury.

I fully expect them to complete the trifecta this weekend with Levert being out for Michigan. Nothing like losing to a borderline bubble team who is missing a lottery pick. That should put a fork and completely expose them for being frauds.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That loss last night, was almost like losing twice. They let Indiana score 47 in the first half, and we're down by about 15 in the second. It looked like their collapse was complete, but props to them, they made a great comeback, and looked like their January team, then Fran happened.

He pulled there younger, smaller lineup, to put in Woodbury. They traded some buckets, Iowa even got the lead briefly, but inevitably they missed free throws and gave up a 3 pointer, to finish the second collapse of the game.

I honestly believe, if Iowa could have completed the comeback, that may have propelled them to turning their season back around. The crowd was into it, and you can see a distinct difference when their players are playing just a little harder.

How many times has Woodbury gotten a rebound two feet from the hoop and just turned to pass it back out? I've seen him do it a couple of times where no one was there to prevent a lay-in. That would drive me bananas.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
How many times has Woodbury gotten a rebound two feet from the hoop and just turned to pass it back out? I've seen him do it a couple of times where no one was there to prevent a lay-in. That would drive me bananas.

Read the Dingle thread and I can't remember for sure but think they said he had 7 OREB and only put it back up once.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

If his teammates could make an entry pass, he might have the confidence to use some of his offense. What happened to him hitting the 15-footer? His offense was never great, but now it is completely gone. They're way too reliant on outside shooting. Teams are basically not guarding him and chasing/chucking Jok instead.

dodgerdan

Oct 24, 2015
Mark Titus said it best:

Mark Titus@clubtrillion 10h10 hours ago
Maybe Iowa was never that good in the first place and they were just able to mask it because Uthoff was otherwordly for a couple months?

This goes without saying. One player can make a team look like a world beater in college basketball, look at Denzel Valentine. I think Oklahoma would be average without Buddy Hield. Iowa needs Uthoff now, not sure they will get that ever get that player back again. I think what we are seeing now is what they'll get for the rest of the season

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Thats just painful watching Woodbury try to hang onto rebounds, there is a reason why Iowa got hot when he was off the court other teams know they dont have to guard him at all. Gessell in a close game is awful in the final minutes, you know he's not going to come through with a winning play. With those two gone and their big post player recruit they should be a lot more athletic next year which is their major deficiency, smarts and good shooting only get you so far.