Which Big 12 contender has the easiest remaining schedule?

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Oklahoma - only 3 more games against ranked teams, and only 1 (@WVU) is on the road

Kansas - 5 road games, 4 home games left...4 total games against ranked teams

Baylor - 5 road games, 5 total games against ranked teams

West Virginia - 5 road games, 5 total games against ranked teams (3 of them on the road)

Texas (yes, really) - 5 road games, 7 total games against ranked teams (3 of them on the road)

Iowa State - 5 road games, 4 total games against ranked teams (3 of them on the road)

I'd say that Texas, WVU, and Baylor have the steepest roads to climb, followed by us and Kansas. Oklahoma definitely has the easiest path, and since they're already at the top, it's time for the talking heads to start saying:

The Big 12 title goes through Norman

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
A lot can happen. OU is really, really good, but susceptible to lulls. I'm still not impressed with their defense. I think teams struggle offensively against them because there is more pressure to score. If they have an off shooting night, they can be beat by several teams.

Still, I think they have the easiest path. If I had to guess, the most likely scenario seems to be:

OU
ISU
KU or WVU
Baylor
Texas

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
OU has to be the favorite right now. They are the only one who really hasn't dropped a game they weren't supposed to yet while playing a decent conf schedule.

ISU and KU are pretty even right now. Sweeping WVU again would be huge for ISU.

I don't take WVU very seriously as a contender, they still have 4 games against ISU, OU, and KU.

Baylor, just lol.

OU will drop another game pretty soon, should have lost to OSU. The second half of the conference race is going to be a lot of fun. It's too bad that the top 3 only have 2 games between each other left.

Last edited:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I'll say this about Texas: if they manage to win even 4 games against their remaining slate and don't get totally blown out in the losses, I'll be impressed. They're in an interesting position where they could easily see their tournament hopes fade away with an extended losing streak, or could really turn some heads by winning some big upsets. They'll be a fun team to watch.

And please, declare for the draft, Taylor.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
OU has the best remaining schedule with their only loss most likely at WV. Best team in the conference and deserving of their No. 1 national ranking. I hope we have shot at them in the Big 12 tourney.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think, barring injury, it's OU this year. Good for them. Anyone but KU.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
OU is going to get it. Have us and Kansas road games out of the way now an still are in front. Thank god it doesn't look like it will be Kansas. They have gone too long.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I still don't understand why the regular season is the big deal. The Big 12 tourney determines the champion. Only the winner gets an automatic bid to the NCAAs. Who remembers the NCAA team that had the best record going into the dance? Is there even a regular season trophy? Win the tourney. That is what really matters.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
OU is going to get it. Have us and Kansas road games out of the way now an still are in front. Thank god it doesn't look like it will be Kansas. They have gone too long.
as long as they don't lose at home they'll win the conference. Ku and isu will lose 2-3 more games.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The thing is, OU will probably lose a game they shouldn't, and KU will KU and go on a tear and win some key road games (while never losing at home). I think OU and KU will tie at 13-5. Texas's last two home games are against OU and KU respectively. I think those two games will be key in determining this race.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I still don't understand why the regular season is the big deal. The Big 12 tourney determines the champion. Only the winner gets an automatic bid to the NCAAs. Who remembers the NCAA team that had the best record going into the dance? Is there even a regular season trophy? Win the tourney. That is what really matters.

I wish I could agree, but I don't. Winning the regular season is a harder task than winning the Big 12 tournament. More games are involved in the regular season and the round robin gives everyone an equal chance at each other on their home court.

Winning the tournament isn't easy by any means, but I'd take a regular season title over a tournament title 100% of the time. Teams can win their conference outright, lose early in the conference tournament and still get a #1 seed in the big dance.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
You have it completely backwards. Also, yes, there is a pretty large trophy for winning the regular season conference title. The regular season title is a much much bigger deal.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The thing is, OU will probably lose a game they shouldn't, and KU will KU and go on a tear and win some key road games (while never losing at home). I think OU and KU will tie at 13-5. Texas's last two home games are against OU and KU respectively. I think those two games will be key in determining this race.
Maybe, but I just don't see it this year. KU needs to get a road win that OU won't cause KU lost at OSU when OU won that one. Could still see KU losing at Baylor and OU could get 2 games ahead by winning at West Virgina. Not to mention at the end of the year KU still has to go to OU.

Spam

May 21, 2008

What a day. People arguing that the Big 12 regular season is more important than NCAA Tourney. And that Big 12 Tourney is more important than B12 regular season.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
KU is gasp over rated. Perry, Frank and Wayne are not overpowering. If Bragg or Cheick had checked in, it would be different. Too bad for the champion of the World Games. Wait. Retract that.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Maybe, but I just don't see it this year. KU needs to get a road win that OU won't cause KU lost at OSU when OU won that one. Could still see KU losing at Baylor and OU could get 2 games ahead by winning at West Virgina. Not to mention at the end of the year KU still has to go to OU.

The big 12 is too good this year to say OU can't drop a couple games to middle of the pack like ISU and KU already have.

I agree they're the favorite, but it's by a pretty small margin.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

So why even play a regular season then? Is the only reason to determine seeding for the conference tournament?