Desmond King wins Thorpe award

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Jourdan Lewis not being a finalist is criminal, therefor I don't acknowledge Kings win.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
System CB.

Not sure if serious.

Iowa has had some very good corners under Ferentz, but King is easily the best of the bunch. Not only is his preparation/instincts elite, but he's got great ball skills, is an excellent open-field tackler, and he's got the most important attribute that guys like Hyde, Spievey and Godfrey lacked: the hip fluidity to turn and run with receivers without losing speed. The only knocks on him are being a touch on the short side at 5'11" and that he lacks elite top end speed.

Honestly, other than the height, that scouting report doesn't sound too different from Richard Sherman's. A poor man's Sherman is still damn good.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Also, he says he's leaning toward coming back next year. Getting his degree is very important to him; he really wants to do it for his family. Having the chance to improve his draft stock and try to take care of some unfinished business doesn't hurt, either.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Also, he says he's leaning toward coming back next year. Getting his degree is very important to him; he really wants to do it for his family. Having the chance to improve his draft stock and try to take care of some unfinished business doesn't hurt, either.

Nah, school isn't that important.[/QUOTE]

When there's million of dollars on the table it really isn't. If Kirk isn't advising him to leave he is doing him a great disservice.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

What business is left? Winning the conference title? Other than that, they did everything the absolute best.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Not sure if serious.

Iowa has had some very good corners under Ferentz, but King is easily the best of the bunch. Not only is his preparation/instincts elite, but he's got great ball skills, is an excellent open-field tackler, and he's got the most important attribute that guys like Hyde, Spievey and Godfrey lacked: the hip fluidity to turn and run with receivers without losing speed. The only knocks on him are being a touch on the short side at 5'11" and that he lacks elite top end speed.

Honestly, other than the height, that scouting report doesn't sound too different from Richard Sherman's. A poor man's Sherman is still damn good.

If Doc posted it, just assume he's not being serious

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This must be trying to win a bowl game after losing two straight.

You should really try to have more self awareness than that. Tis the season of giving, so I won't take a swing at the giant softball you just lobbed.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Well deserved. He should leave after this season & wear the real Black & Gold of the Pittsburgh Steelers (would absolutely love if they picked him. Still bummed they didn't get Micah Hyde).

For all of you recruiting followers out there, King's Rivals profile:
5.6 rating, 3-Star from Michigan with offers from: Wisconsin, Indiana, & 5 MAC schools & of course chose Iowa.
Micah Hyde: 5.4 rating, 2-Star from Ohio with offers from: 6 MAC schools (incl Toledo) & Iowa

talent to be had in Campbell's footprint, no doubt. Need to be able to identify & develop.

Again, though, good for King. He is an absolute stud.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
What business is left? Winning the conference title? Other than that, they did everything the absolute best.

I'm not saying I expect to compete for the national title next year, but after coming so close this year, I'd bet that the players fully believe that, King included. From a player's perspective, I'm sure they'll enter next season thinking they have unfinished business to tend to.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm not saying I expect to compete for the national title next year, but after coming so close this year, I'd bet that the players fully believe that, King included. From a player's perspective, I'm sure they'll enter next season thinking they have unfinished business to tend to.

LOL!!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron