SOURCE- Campbell signs with ISU

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not going to start a rumor by naming a player, but I have heard otherwise about a significant contributor on the team. Hopefully Campbell will meet with the team and change his mind.

I call ******** on this. Transferring is rare in football, and would likely lose them a year of eligibility

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
Which realistic candidates have P5 ties, has built a FBS program and runs a gimmick offense?

None that would come to ISU. People build P5 ties by being P5 coaches. They gain recruiting inroads through... you guessed it, recruiting. I would have liked to see a different offense, but maybe just having an offensive minded head coach will help build on the young talent we have in there, and his O-Line experience will help too.

Besides, maybe we will have better luck recruiting the upper mid-west than in Texas anyway.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
Couple this with the fact that there are few unreplaceble stars on this team.

Unless it's Lazard, Lanning, or Warren (obviously it's not him), I am not terribly worried. I mean, any losses hurt, don't get me wrong, but those three guys are all sophomores or younger, and have incredible upside. If we lost one of them, I would be very upset. The rest can fill in around them, though.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Jon miller and fatty Deace think its an awful hire. Shocking. Safe to say it's probably a great hire then right?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Missouri: Alex Marvez of Fox Sports reported tonight Barry Odom will have a second interview.

Missouri going with their DC

There are several other players in the mix to transfer. Hopefully they stick around. I think a lot of kids get worked up about a coach leaving, I hope they give Campbell a chance to say his piece in the team meeting next week.

Most of the time football players stay. So I'm not especially worried.

Bur it it's understandable that some players are struggling with things. Despite what many of you think, a lie of those players liked Rhoads and the other coaches. It hurts when someone you like and respect is going to he out of s job. It's been s tough week for them.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
This is the "home run hire" everyone should be excited about. Young coach, solid recruiter, allows us to keep our best assistant, etc. and if he can string together 3-4 strong years here and leave for a better job, I'll be ecstatic.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I think some players, in the heat of the moment, say they want to transfer after their head coach is fired. I get it, the guy who brought them in, recruited them, coached them for years, etc is leaving and now you want to leave to.
However, once they really think about it and get to know the new coach, most change their minds and would rather stay. This is especially true for the key starters. You can stay on a Big 12 team and start, or you can go to another P5 school and sit out a year and then maybe start. Or, you can transfer down to the FCS. Their best option is to stay put.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
I'm not going to start a rumor by naming a player, but I have heard otherwise about a significant contributor on the team. Hopefully Campbell will meet with the team and change his mind.
Joshua Thomas? Lol

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I call ******** on this. Transferring is rare in football, and would likely lose them a year of eligibility

Think whatever you want. I don't care. Just saying I've heard differently than Jeremy. His response indicates that he has at least heard the same, too. Hopefully nothing comes of it.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Unless it's Lazard, Lanning, or Warren (obviously it's not him), I am not terribly worried. I mean, any losses hurt, don't get me wrong, but those three guys are all sophomores or younger, and have incredible upside. If we lost one of them, I would be very upset. The rest can fill in around them, though.

Let's see. Warren keeps his coach (assuming LA stays) and the other two building blocks are from 30 miles away. Lanning used his redshirt already and Lazard is a diehard cyclone m our best defenders are Jucos transfers they aren't going anywhere.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Jon miller and fatty Deace think its an awful hire. Shocking. Safe to say it's probably a great hire then right?
It must be a match made in heaven. Deace says it's a terrible hire and a mistake while @tomfornelli says it's Campbell making the mistake.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
@BobbyLaGesse: Also, expect Louis Ayeni to stay on staff at ISU with Campbell now in charge. The two worked at Toledo together.

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines

Besides, how many guys on the team aren't very replaceable?

warren -staying
campos - already RS
lazard - claims to be staying
lanning - already rs

tucker - nope
harris - nope
mills - ?
peavy - ?
cotton-Moya - ?

thats about it for guys tough to replace

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
You need to realize that ISU isn't exactly a destination for top tier football coaches. Getting a guy that has head coaching experience was vital. He's a young guy that has a ton of potential. It's been a long while since we've hired a guy like him.

I'm painfully aware.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
None. I was just stating how someone could be unhappy with this hire (which is why I quoted that post in my reply). Campell just seems pretty run-of-the-mill to me.

We'll see. Hope I'm wrong.

So someone could hypothetically be unhappy with the hire because a hypothetical non-existent perfect coach wasn't hired. Okay then. I'll stand by my post.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It doesn't matter if they think it's a great hire or a horrible hire at all.

also, if somebody wants transfer, big deal. I don't care who it is. 4 years to play football they should do whatever they want

Last edited: