0-1 versus the Pylon

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Sage freakin jinxed it when he called it a TD when Bundrage was at the 25 :smile:.

yeah, that was definitely a touchback, clear as could be.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
This call is the worst rule in football history. No matter who it goes against. What I don't get is I undertand if ball goes out of back of endzone within field of play but ball hit pylon on out of bounds side...ball was not in field of play when it left his hands.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Here is the rule...

A ball carrier fumbles the ball within the field of play forward into his opponents end zone and the loose ball then goes out of bounds behind or above his opponent's goal line or is recovered and downed by an opposing player in the end zone. The opposing team would be awarded the touchback.

Notice it says within field of play.. Ball was not in field of play.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It's a dumb rule. A ball going out of bounds in the end zone on a fumble should be treated the same as a fumble going out of bounds on every other part of the field.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
There were a couple of camera angles that showed his knee clearly down before the ball left his hand when it was slowed down.

Both calls were correct.
Nope. You're guessing, just like the replay official did. At no point in any angle can you tell conclusively that his knee was down. I can guess that his knee was down, and I'm still 50/50 on whether it was or not, but guessing is not conclusive evidence.

I saw 3 camera angles on TV and a 4th where the play was obscured. None of them were clear enough to change a call on the field, Sage and Blume said as much as well.

Maybe we had a 5th and 6th angle and Cyclones.tv has a more robust TV crew than NFL broadcasts.
This

Disagree completely. All calls were correct. There have been times I felt we got the short end on replay but last night everything was correct.
Not this

Here's my questioning of the rule (not the call on the play):

If the ball touches the outside of the pylon first, doesn't that mean that the ball was already out of bounds when it passed the goal line?
The entire pylon is in bounds. Doesn't matter what side it touches.

I do agree that the refs performed well throughout the night. The only call I remember questioning was the pass interference on Tribune, but I'm biased.
This was a blown call. Great coverage and I would tell him to do nothing different. You're going to have a couple clunkers no matter how good the officials are and this was one.

The wierd part of this rule is if you fumble the ball at say the 50 and it rolls out two yards ahead to the 48 the ball is spotted back at the 50 because u can't advance field position on a fumble. But if you fumble at the 2 and the ball barely clips the pylon (such as last night) it's a touchback and the advancement of the ball is allowed.

And that was definitely the most isu way to fumble. What did we leave on the field, like 14 points last night? Gotta clean that up against iowa
Only if the offense recovers. If the defense recovers they get it at the spot. Fumbling out of the end zone is the same as a defensive recovery so it's not moved back to the spot of the fumble.

My officiating question: can the replay official make an "illegal forward pass" call without a flag thrown on he play? (Per the review last night)
Yes, this is a reviewable play, just like the spot of the ball being reviewable to determine if a first down was made.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Here is the rule...

A ball carrier fumbles the ball within the field of play forward into his opponents end zone and the loose ball then goes out of bounds behind or above his opponent's goal line or is recovered and downed by an opposing player in the end zone. The opposing team would be awarded the touchback.

Notice it says within field of play.. Ball was not in field of play.

How was the ball not in the field of play?

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This call is the worst rule in football history. No matter who it goes against. What I don't get is I undertand if ball goes out of back of endzone within field of play but ball hit pylon on out of bounds side...ball was not in field of play when it left his hands.

There is a core contradiction that if you fumble the ball out of bounds you get to keep the ball. If you fumble it out of bounds in the end zone the other team gets it. Theoretically fumbling it out of bounds in the end zone means you've bested your opponent MORE than fumbling it out of bounds somewhere else.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Nope. You're guessing, just like the replay official did. At no point in any angle can you tell conclusively that his knee was down. I can guess that his knee was down, and I'm still 50/50 on whether it was or not, but guessing is not conclusive evidence.

Were you at the game? I am telling you right now, there was video of this being the correct call on the big screen. It was clear as day. If they did not have this feed on TV they need to fix something but it was clear.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How was the ball not in the field of play? Pylon is in bounds.

I don't think Bundrage had possession of the ball when it hit the pylon.

In my section everyone was saying that it's either going to be a TD or ISU's ball on the 1 yd line, but I said.... don't be surprised if this ends up as UNI's ball on the 20. Everybody around me looked at me like I was crazy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Were you at the game? I am telling you right now, there was video of this being the correct call on the big screen. It was clear as day. If they did not have this feed on TV they need to fix something but it was clear.

On TV they showed multiple views and 100% the call should not have been reversed. It was at least 3 views they showed on TV. It was a bad call. The knee goes down and the ball is released at the exact same time, play on the field should stand every time if an official does his job correctly.

Replay review in general should just change the rule. The rule should be that they just try to get the call right based on replay. They very rarely follow the correct procedure that the play on the field stands if there isn't conclusive evidence.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There is a core contradiction that if you fumble the ball out of bounds you get to keep the ball. If you fumble it out of bounds in the end zone the other team gets it. Theoretically fumbling it out of bounds in the end zone means you've bested your opponent MORE than fumbling it out of bounds somewhere else.

It makes no sense. The only reason I've seen given for this rule is to discourage teams from purposefully fumbling into the end zone to score, which is ludicrous.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Btw the pylon is in bounds. Thus when guys are diving and touch it. Its a touchdown. Btw everyone in our section saw Sams knee hit the ground before throwing the ball. Big screen had a perfect angle.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The pylon is out of bounds in the end zone. The pylon is just a representation of the intersection of the sideline and the goal line. The goal line is in the end zone, so the intersection of the goal line and the sideline is out of bounds in the end zone.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
On TV they showed multiple views and 100% the call should not have been reversed. It was at least 3 views they showed on TV. It was a bad call. The knee goes down and the ball is released at the exact same time, play on the field should stand every time if an official does his job correctly.

Replay review in general should just change the rule. The rule should be that they just try to get the call right based on replay. They very rarely follow the correct procedure that the play on the field stands if there isn't conclusive evidence.

TV must not have had the replay they had at JTS. They slowed it down, it was clear. You are wrong, but its not your fault, you just didn't see the correct replay.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought Sam looked down on the 3rd down conversion also.

Whatever the call on the field was should have been the replay of that call. It was too close to change either way. They sucked at doing their job and didn't follow procedure.