List of potential replacements should Fred Hoiberg leave

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Look at Bayerball's post. I completely agree that Stevensen from Michigan State, Chris Mack from Xavier, and Underwood should be the top 3 candidates (after Hornacek).

I thought I saw where Mack turned down Florida.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
it gives you a better pool of candidates then that ******* list.

Yeah, but it doesn't in this little world called reality. You constantly ***** and ***** about coaching candidates but I have yet to see you actually post a coaches name, let alone multiple, that you think is a realistic possibility. I think that's probably because when you post "Greg Marshall," you know you will be laughed at because it isn't happening.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Look at Bayerball's post. I completely agree that Stevensen from Michigan State, Chris Mack from Xavier, and Underwood should be the top 3 candidates (after Hornacek).

Don't see why Mack would leave Xavier for ISU.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Source: Jeff Hornacek NOT interested in this job. Conflicting from what another source told me earlier in the week. I do trust this source though.

Okay I see the word source 4 times in this post which source do you trust. Hornacek to ISU or not to ISU?
And don't come back and answer yes :)

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I came up with this list last week assuming that we would get to this point. I'm sure some will kill me for posting it when Iowa State doesn't even have a vacancy but my Twitter feed is blowing up with peeps wondering who some different candidates might be. No insider info here (unless noted). Just off the top of my head list for your entertainment/fodder.

Note: I think the only way ISU can attract a proven winner at this level at this point in time is to offer 2.5 million or more. That would be more than Hoiberg made last year. I just don't see it happening, but who knows what Jamie has up his sleeve.

My initial list...

Realistic candidates (guys who I think would consider the job for what I think it will pay)

Bryce Drew, Valparaiso head coach (Baylor head coach Scott Drew’s brother) - Would be ok with the hire

Brad Underwood, Stephen F. Austin head coach (former KSU assistant) - Would put this as a long shot.

Jared Haase, UAB head coach (former Kansas player) - No...overrated because of one year.

Steve Prohm, Murray State head coach - Not sold he is that good, think there's better candidates.

Chris Holtman, Butler head coach - highly doubt it, just signed a contract extension, in a decent conference now.

Leon Rice, Boise State head coach - can see this happening.

T.J. Otzelberger, Iowa State assistant coach - most likely option

Long shots

Jeff Hornacek, head coach of the Phoenix Suns (However I've been told recently that this is a growing possibility)

Nick Nurse, Toronto Raptors assistant (Iowa native) - I hope not.

Extreme long shots

Danny Manning, Wake Forest head coach - not leaving until Kansas somehow opened

Tad Boyle, Colorado head coach - 2 years ago, yes, now I would pass

Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa head coach (Can't find a single reason why he'd want the job. Would be very unpopular with fans too) - think he's a better coach than McD but it won't happen

Tim Floyd, UTEP head coach (former Iowa State head coach) - Guy with past sanctions + JP = not happening.

Archie Miller, Dayton head coach (recently turned down 3 mil a year at Florida) - for the reasons you stated.

Fran Fraschilla, ESPN analyst (I’ve heard that he wants to get back into coaching but don’t think he is the type of candidate that Iowa State would be interested in) - maybe

If I had to bet it will be somebody not on this list.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think Underwood is a fine coach, but I think he's a terrible fit for the players ISU has coming back next year. His defense requires depth because they play aggressively, trap, and commit quite a few fouls. ISU doesn't have that much depth next year. He plays a high post offense whereas the guys on ISU are used to running pick & rolls, having Georges create from the top while maintaining spacing. SFA would have cutters running through a lot more than ISU has. He's a really good coach, but I don't think he's a good fit for the 2015-2016 squad.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Interesting, I didn't hear that. I heard Miller did....

The report I saw says that Florida didn't contact either and White was the guy all along.

Again, nobody is interested til the get it. That way they never were turned down. Same as no team ever didn't get "their guy".

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
Here's my list and I think it will satisfy most:

John Calipari (Not sure if he fits our style)
Brad Stevens
Coach K (Mike Krzyzewski)
Billy Donovan
John Belein
Tom Izzo
Cuonzo Martin
Jeff Hornacek
Doc Rivers
Pat Riley (I'm not sure if he'd be interested as he has a pretty good job now but who knows with the roster we have)
Phil Jackson (I'm told it's a long shot but he'll have a feeler sent to him)
Stan Van Gundy
Bo Ryan (Again, style, so wouldn't take)
Thad Matta
Larry Brown (Not enough proof he can coach)
Mark Few
Mike Anderson
Bill Self (KU ties so eww!)
Steve Kerr
Sean Miller
Greg Marshall (Again, don't like that style stuff)
Shaka Smart

I think I've covered most of them and I don't expect to look outside of that pool because of this roster. I mean, we shouldn't have to since we hired a guy who was "can't miss" with a laundry list of coaching accomplishments.

You could (and should) cross legitimately EVERY SINGLE NAME off of this list. I understand this is done in jest, but there will be some here who take this as serious.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Look guys, I really just want to see heads explode. But there is one guy left off the list that I am sure we can get.

Dave Rice

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
People are getting too deep with this. TJ wouldn't have come back unless he thought he was going to be head coach. This is the easiest coaching change to guess in ISU history.

Help Support Us

Become a patron