Moving to Ankeny

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Get ready for every time people ask you where you live they will say "Oh you live in skankeny".

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The worst thing about Ankeny is there are a lot more Hawkeye fans than you'd think even with ISU being 20 miles away. You see these ugly black and gold puke flags on some of the houses. Brings the value down about 10k per home.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Chips is overrated.

You can get a whole chicken! Sweet jesus man, the whole thing, and it isn't that expensive!

I'm a quantity guy and let me tell you, it's good stuff. Of course I just ate a 10 piece bucket from KFC last week and another from someone elses bucket. It was amazing.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Oh yeah. Don't even attempt to speed in town. You will get caught no matter how little over the speed limit you go.
I have an uncle who is a cop in NE Iowa and he tells me that Ankeny cops are well known around the state for being sticklers to the speed limit.

Ankeny has to have more cops per capita then any city in the world. Just a little trip from Metro North Busines Park (where I work) to Panera and I saw three cops... Thats nuts! That doesn't even count the five state troopers that were pulling into BK.

Stelrs1995

Apr 17, 2006
Waukee, Iowa
You can get a whole chicken! Sweet jesus man, the whole thing, and it isn't that expensive!

I'm a quantity guy and let me tell you, it's good stuff. Of course I just ate a 10 piece bucket from KFC last week and another from someone elses bucket. It was amazing.

Wow. That makes me feel better about eating all 2 pounds of hot wings my wife brought home from Wal-Mart last night. Hey they are on sale for 6.98. Oh ya and Ankeny is ok, lived there for 2 years. We now live in Waukee and like it better.

Last edited:

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Jeez, how many of you live or grew up in Ankeny? Didnt know there were that many on this board? I grew up in Ankeny by the bowling alley! Also, I agree with the mechanic suggestion of the BP on 1st and Blvd - Dale is the man!

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
The worst thing about Ankeny is there are a lot more Hawkeye fans than you'd think even with ISU being 20 miles away. You see these ugly black and gold puke flags on some of the houses. Brings the value down about 10k per home.

I think once the Wig and Penn opens in teh former Autograph's location, most EIU fans will gather there.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Ankeny needs all the cops because Ankeny has some of the most 'in a hurry' drivers. So have good brakes on your car:)

Otherwise Tonic is an ok place for a beer after work.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
If you ever have to go to Wal Mart AND Target, go to Wal Mart first because if you go to Target first, you won't be able to handle the shock of how filthy you feel.

Learn quickly that sports is life to most parents in the town. Ankeny could use a couple more coffee shops in my opinion. Buy your meat from Fareway.

I personally didn't think Rookie's was that smokey. My only beef was prices are average at best. Kohl's provides all the clothes I ever need to buy.

I've been in Ankeny for five years now and this post is dead-on except I have no love of Rookies. I've been in ther on Sunday's where you can actually see the haze once you walk into the first set of doors...plus the service is remarkably slow.

I'm not good at bar advice b/c I usually drive down to Cooney's in DSM b/c it's smoke free. With the new law, I'll probably start drinking in Ankeny more. Tonic and the Clipper are two places that are nice, just too smokey for my taste right now.

I'd suggest All Pro for service in Ankeny or if you don't mind the drive Magic Muffler in Ames-Doug there is the best around. Yanni's is a nice place to eat and I have a hard time deciding between Leaning Tower and Sonny's (in Saylorville) for Pizza-both are great.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Parks & rec program seems to be pretty strong. Volleyball, dodgeball, basketball, slowpitch softball and more.

Also, I live next door to lesbians. Hope that helps.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Ankeny Target has some of the best quality soccer moms in the Metro area. Ankeny Wal-Mart has some of the youngest teen-mothers you will ever see...

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
CJ's is great for breakfast and lunch...mmm Breakfast Bagels!
Benchwarmers is good for Cyclone fans.
Super Target has everything.
Looking for a new car? Ankeny is developing it's own auto mile.
Golf- Otter Creek; closed for the season due to reconstruction, it's going to be awesome once done!
If you have kids, Ankeny High School is being split up in 2011ish.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Ankeny Target has some of the best quality soccer moms in the Metro area. Ankeny Wal-Mart has some of the youngest teen-mothers you will ever see...
Yes, and Yes. Ankeny's got talent. I've had some guys come to church with me and comment on how good looking some of the ladies are. I don't notice that since I'm married.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
DON'T EVER BUY meat from Dahl's!!!

We buy our meat at Dahl's. For grilling burgers, the ground beef is much, much better than you'll get at Hy-Vee. Plus, I've never had a bad Rib-Eye or T-bone from Dahl's.