Moving to Ankeny

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Rookies is a nice bar for sports watching. Only thing is, they sponsor the the hawkeyes and there are a lot of them. It seems there are more hawk fans than clone fans in Ankeny.....strange.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
oh yeah, if you are looking for sports apparel....go to the strawberry patch. They have the best cyclone/hawkeye clothing around, and it isn't too expensive.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Rookies is a nice bar for sports watching. Only thing is, they sponsor the the hawkeyes and there are a lot of them. It seems there are more hawk fans than clone fans in Ankeny.....strange.
I grew up in NE Iowa so to me it seems like a ton of Cyclone Fans in Ankeny. What I can't get over is how many Husker fans there are.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
We buy our meat at Dahl's. For grilling burgers, the ground beef is much, much better than you'll get at Hy-Vee. Plus, I've never had a bad Rib-Eye or T-bone from Dahl's.

All the meat I get from there looks sickly and I am not the only one who thinks that. I buy all meat from Fareway as do all my friends and family in the Metro area.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Any Ankeny residents or natives out there who want to give me the scoop? Anything and everything. I'm all ears.

Is there a good local sports bar to catch a game at? Where can I find a reputable mechanic? Does Dahl's or HyVee have better prices? Are there any "hidden gem" restaurants in town? What places should I avoid? Etc, etc...

Thanks in advance!!
Do you have kids?
If so, Recess is excellent, cheap ($5 for 2 hours) entertainment.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Heritage Park has a nice frisbee golf course.....but for me I'd rather go up to Gateway in Ames or to the Saylorville Lake course.

Grandview is a great course.

never go to Big Creek unless you have a lot of old discs you want to get rid of (i.e. lose)

wantapet

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston, Ia
Do the high school kids still scoop the loop on Ankeny Blvd? I lived there a few of the years I attended Iowa state. That was the only thing I could not stand.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
My $.02...

Fareway for meat and most food.
Lucky Bamboo for Chinese (little strip mall out in front of Slumberland)
SuperTarget (I don't know where the trash that shops at Wal-Mart come from. I'm thinking Berwick, Norwoodville, & Saylor TWP. Don't ever go there after 9:00 PM)
Noodle Zoo
Dahl's for can and bottle redemtion ( I swear no one shops there and the machines are always empty)
Ankeny Tire and Battery for auto repair (I've never used them, but my father-in-law and several on here swear by them)

I'm sure I'll think of more....

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
We like Lucky Bamboo for good, fast, and cheap chinese food

And another mention for Tim's BP/Amoco on 1st and Ankeny Blvd. for auto repair.

jbing

Dec 27, 2007
Ankeny, IA
www.jeremybingaman.com
I'll mention a few places too.
I enjoy the Mustards. Never busy and decent food. Leaning Tower is the end all, be all for pizza for a 50 mile radius. Plus, you gotta love a place with icy cold Labatt Blue bottles.

I run on the trail on NW18th Street. Good stuff.

Stay AWAY from the Ankeny Diner. Horrible service and marginal food.

I like the car wash near Mustards and Sonic on N. Ankeny Blvd. It has a high powered air hose to blow dry your car in the wash bays.

Super Target and Hy-Vee are where it's at. Fareway for your meat. They'll be getting another Hy-Vee in 2-3 yrs.

The Home Depot there is one of the best in the city. Love that place.

You'll enjoy Ankeny. It's laid back, QUIET and a really nice place to raise a fam.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
All the meat I get from there looks sickly and I am not the only one who thinks that. I buy all meat from Fareway as do all my friends and family in the Metro area.

If it's just the color, it really isn't a problem. Meat naturally turns brownish in the absence of the chemical additives that the Wall-Mart's & others treat their product with simply to display a "fresh" red color. I personally avoid any store that tries to cover up poor quality meat while playing with the display color.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I avoid meat that is prepackaged and delivered to the store...aka walmart meat. I only buy the meat from the meat counter, and if it isn't hamburger then I only buy at Fareway.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
What about a local gym? I like them quiet, without the flash, where people stay out of your business. I worked out at Beyer when I was student, if that tells you anything. Just give me your standard free-weight equipment and an elliptical and I'm good.

I don't want to workout next to someone who had to check their hair and put on clean clothes before they headed to the gym, if you get where I'm coming from.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Bring your wallet. Property taxes are going up, and then going up again.

Also, Buffalo Wild Wings is going in on Delaware Ave. across from Tuffy's . It will be a great addition to town when completed later this summer.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What about a local gym? I like them quiet, without the flash, where people stay out of your business. I worked out at Beyer when I was student, if that tells you anything. Just give me your standard free-weight equipment and an elliptical and I'm good.

I don't want to workout next to someone who had to check their hair and put on clean clothes before they headed to the gym, if you get where I'm coming from.

Metro, across from DMACC would be perfect for ya then...