Hilton (How can we make it even better?)

Clone Fan

Mar 27, 2006
Ames, IA
Words can not describe how excited for tonight I am. Not so much because we have an excellent basketball team on the floor but because HILTON is back. This year could be one of the most exciting years from an atmosphere standpoint Hilton has seen. Hype, style of play, players, the Mayor... you can go on and on but I can tell you it will be fun.

It got me thinking, how can we make the Hilton experience even better? One item that I am very passionate about is the Star Spangled Banner. How cool would it be if every game everyone sang it out loud. I have been to a few stadiums / concerns where this was done and it is very powerful and also intimidating at the same time. It sets the tone for what is to come. How can we get this done? All it takes is a large group to start and I feel the rest of the crowd will take over.

Just my thoughts... anyone else have ideas? and please let's not turn this into a Cyclone Alley bash. We all know there has been some issues in the past there. Really don't want to beat a dead horse.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
dimming lights and disco ball for player entrances.

color cards on every seat for natinally televised games (like Kinnick does - i know i know).

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Words can not describe how excited for tonight I am. Not so much because we have an excellent basketball team on the floor but because HILTON is back. This year could be one of the most exciting years from an atmosphere standpoint Hilton has seen. Hype, style of play, players, the Mayor... you can go on and on but I can tell you it will be fun. It got me thinking, how can we make the Hilton experience even better? One item that I am very passionate about is the Star Spangled Banner. How cool would it be if every game everyone sang it out loud. I have been to a few stadiums / concerns where this was done and it is very powerful and also intimidating at the same time. It sets the tone for what is to come. How can we get this done? All it takes is a large group to start and I feel the rest of the crowd will take over. Just my thoughts... anyone else have ideas? and please let's not turn this into a Cyclone Alley bash. We all know there has been some issues in the past there. Really don't want to beat a dead horse.
The Star Spangled Banner is for paying respect to our country, not to be screamed at the top of the lungs as an intimidation tactic. I would think there are other avenues that could be explored that would be more appropriate. Get a good video put together and use appropriate lights and music and the already hyped up crowd will take care of the rest.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
The Star Spangled Banner is for paying respect to our country, not to be screamed at the top of the lungs as an intimidation tactic. I would think there are other avenues that could be explored that would be more appropriate. Get a good video put together and use appropriate lights and music and the already hyped up crowd will take care of the rest.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd thread ruined

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

Oh thank God. The KU perspective. :skeptical:

Who said anything about screaming that the top of one's lungs or intimidation tactic? he said sing out loud. I know you probably can't remember the words, but.....

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Might get ripped for saying this ...........but ............I wish fans would show up sooner when possible. It helps create a much more electric atmosphere prior to tip off. I hate to use this as an example, but if you have ever attended a game at KU for hoops, the place goes crazy when Self is introduced coming out of the locker area. I think it would be awesome if we would do a little better job of recognizing Fred when he comes out. I realize time constraints getting to games, heck I travel 1 1/2 hours to get to Hilton. Just wish that would happen.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
One idea I've thought would be cool in the past would be if Cyclone Alley had cardinal and gold streamers to whip up into the air after the first score or maybe even after the first three. Entirely possible that somebody else is doing that or it's played out, I just think it would be a cool visual for TV.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd thread ruined

This is probably the most valid point twocoach has had on this forum. And more substance than your post has.

I think getting the student section to be a little classier by removing "you suck" after introductions would be a way to make Hilton better.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

You sir are a moron

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

False.

[video=youtube;aJT9K2APvas]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJT9K2APvas[/video]

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Oh thank God. The KU perspective. Who said anything about screaming that the top of one's lungs or intimidation tactic? he said sing out loud. I know you probably can't remember the words, but.....
Hey, roll with it. To each their own. It's not exactly a real upbeat, intimidating song so good luck getting the desired effect. And good luck with the crotchety, blue haired veterans who donate big bucks and complain about people standing up. I am sure they'll be fine with it...