Pease put the Blythe transfering to Iowa rumors to rest

PlymouthCy

Mar 21, 2006
Hinton
Visit site
Blythe puts to rest the "rumors" of him transfering to Iowa. Now if the boards could do the same thing.

Stars Blythe, Bowen: We're suiting up for ISU next year

With one game left, top juniors dispel rumors about transferring.

varUsername = "[email protected]";document.write("By RANDY PETERSON");By RANDY PETERSON
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

November 16, 2006

Ames, Ia. - Iowa State football fans are losing a coaching staff after Saturday's game against Missouri at Jack Trice Stadium, but key players say they are staying.

Receiver Todd Blythe and linebacker Alvin Bowen said this week that they plan to return for their senior seasons.

"I've heard the rumors," Blythe said of the possibility of leaving after this season for a professional career. "I'll be here next season."

Bowen, who fell from first to second on the national tackles list last week, also has heard speculation about his future.

"I'll be here," said Bowen, whose average of 13.27 tackles a game trails the 13.33 of San Jose State's Matthew Castelo. "Trust me. I've heard people, friends of mine, talk about it, but when I signed, I wanted to help Iowa State as much as I can.

"Leaving early won't help that."

They're staying despite the fact that the coach who recruited them, Dan McCarney, will end 12 seasons at the school after Saturday's game. He announced last week plans to step down as the Cyclones' coach.

"I don't like that coach Mac is leaving, but I'm not going anywhere," Blythe said.

He just wants to play - immediately - after missing the past three games while battling Epstein Barr virus.

"You're not going to keep me out of (McCarney's) last game," said Blythe, Iowa State's career touchdown receptions leader with 25.

Blythe lost 12 pounds with what he described as a "mononucleosis-like" virus.

"Besides losing weight, the biggest problem was that my spleen was too big and they didn't want it to rupture," Blythe said. "They wanted to make sure my insides were back to the normal size before they let me play again."

He missed games against Colorado, Kansas and Kansas State. Blythe had played all 32 games since his redshirt freshman season.

"It's really sickening not playing," Blythe said. "I'd played in every single game since I got here."

Blythe's saga mirrors that of the team, which needs a victory Saturday to avoid its second winless Big 12 Conference season in the past four years.

He didn't catch a pass in a 16-10 victory over Nevada-Las Vegas. He totaled only five receptions in the last two games in which he played - against Oklahoma and Texas Tech.

Add McCarney's departure Saturday, and "it's been a crazy year in college football," Blythe said. "You just don't know what's going to happen next."

What will happen, he says, will be a Blythe sighting in Saturday's game.

"My insides are back to being normal," Blythe said. "If anyone's worried, I'll tell them to just pack me in foam and we'll call it good.

"If something happens, there's a hospital right down the street."

Reporter Randy Peterson can be reached at (515) 284-8132 or [email protected]

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/SPORTS020602/611160440

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Sounds earily familiar to a one Adam Haluska. :rofl8yi:

Those rumors were stretched to begin with...why learn a new system when you are the star player on a team with a QB who you room with and have played with for 3 years?

Now we just need to get a line to block.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Anyone want to question Blythe's determination and devotion to ISU now?

If this guy won't play through an enlarged spleen, what else won't he play through? A broken leg? A broken neck? Some devotion. :rofl8yi:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
No kidding, that's just embarrassing. Hike up the skirt, Todd!

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
You guys are crazy. Don't you know how tough it is to return from a spleen injury? I pulled my spleen in high school and was out for 5 games. Very painful.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I hope you guys are being sarcastic. An enlarged spleen is easily ruptured.

Chris Simms anyone?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Sarcasm is a form of irony that is widely used in English especially when people are being humorous. Generally the sarcastic speaker or writer means the exact opposite of the word they use...

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
You guys are crazy. Don't you know how tough it is to return from a spleen injury? I pulled my spleen in high school and was out for 5 games. Very painful.

I pulled my spleen a few times in high school, too. Hey, we've all had dry spells. It never caused me to miss games though. I think you should re-evaluate your technique.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I do believe 100% of this thread, other than the article - is humor and sarcasm.

Except the part about us needing a line to block. That's some serious business there.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
this topic cracks me up!

It is even more funny at the scout page for the UofI... a couple of those guys are 'preying' for it...

-keep.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Well the hawk fans can go pull their spleens.:angry6wn::eek4wd:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Well the hawk fans can go pull their spleens.:angry6wn::eek4wd:

I love it.... I plan on using that line for a while as my own ... without referencing you... :)

-keep.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I should have put "hawk fans can pull their collective spleens."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron