Voices from the stands: Iowa Game

Clone1450

Dec 30, 2008
Kansas City
I almost forgot, one of our fans in front of us had a red shirt with gold text on the back that said "Don't Be A D***". Not sure what the front said. I laughed.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Also I'm not a Hawk hater as I have a lot of very level headed Hawkeye friends (and dating one) and actually think Iowa City is a nice city that can be fun at times, however I was very surprised how dirty/violent the city was. Maybe this was just because of rivalry week.

Besides stories of fans being D-bags everywhere (there were some ok ones, one guy admitted he loved Freddy and switches to Iowa State for basketball), I couldn't believe how they treat their own city. Trash absolutely everywhere. I understand it's a drunken tailgate rivalry game, but it was disgusting. The girls we were with wanted to go to the Library to pee as they thought it would be more private, and everything in there was destroyed as well. The porta potty situation was disgusting at both lots we visited. 2 hours before kickoff every one somebody we were with went into was overflowing with **** mixed in with beer cans, fem products, etc, to the point you couldn't step in them. Every bar we went into had broken glass all over. I'm not sure if that's the Iowa City way, but I heard a glass being thrown, not dropped, about once every 15 minutes. The bar we were at the second half had 6 glasses in toilet, 3 in the urinal, and broken glass covering the floor of the bathroom where you couldn't find a spot to step without a big chunk of glass. I was just happy the weather was cold in the AM so I wore shoes.

Party Hearty USA.

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
Did anyone else witness the older ISU fan being arrested apparently for a public intoxication inside the NE gate below section 101 during halftime? I couldn't tell that he made any kind of scene or was being a problem, but they did field sobriety tests with about 5 officers standing all around him. Eventually they pulled out a breathalyzer and made him blow. Then have him the straw and cuffed him. It was interesting as it didn't appear there were any issues or problems leading up to it and he was fully cooperative through the whole thing lasting maybe 10 min. Add to that there was a girl in a Hawkeye shirt passing out sitting in the middle of the closed road for most of the first half. A group of cops stopped by and then left her alone as she continued to fall from sitting to laying several times. Just before halftime her friend helped her up and it certainly looked like she had peed her pants as she was helped down the street. I guess the lesson is if you were wearing black and gold the cops would just leave you alone but red shirts drew an army of police and arrests.

I sat near the guy. He had been yelling a lot and was a little annoying (even though he was an ISU fan), but I can't believe he was tossed out for that. As far as I could tell he was well within acceptable behavior for a spectator.

After the police had taken him I regretted not questioning what they were doing.

Overall, we had a great time in Iowa City and didn't run into any issues with Hawk fans.

ISU2

Jun 21, 2013
I sat near a guy who just kept telling his buddy that they cant believe that they were gonna lose to a 0-2 "garbage team"
When will hok fans get that we rank in the top 10 in strength of schedule almost every year and that our losses were to a north Dakota state team that has 3 consecutive championships and a k-state team that is ranked in the top 20. Just for fun i looked up strength of schedule this year, ISU 7th and IOWA 85...

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
ok, so not at the game, in fact, now over 24 hours removed from it.

I work an overnight shift in Ames. I am currently working said shift. A guy comes in wearing a hawk hat, a hawk shirt, and hawk MC Hammer pants. He asks me "did you hear what happened to the Hawks yesterday?"

I asked him what he meant...

He then explained how, even though he didn't watch the game, and hadn't seen a replay of the play in question, the targeting call was absolute bull. And he's sure of it, because his friend, who played football in high school back in the day, told him, and he'd know.

I explained to him that the call was correct, and he assured me that it wasn't, because his buddy played football in high school (and, you know, I didn't?)

Then, he went on to explain to me how, even if it was legit, it's an almost impossible thing for a team to lose a player like that and bounce back. It's demoralizing. It destroys the team's will to live. When I asked him if that applied to Iowa State losing their receiver on the same play due to the illegal hit, he said, and I quote "no, because their player wasn't as important to the team as Iowa's."

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
ok, so not at the game, in fact, now over 24 hours removed from it.

I work an overnight shift in Ames. I am currently working said shift. A guy comes in wearing a hawk hat, a hawk shirt, and hawk MC Hammer pants. He asks me "did you hear what happened to the Hawks yesterday?"

I asked him what he meant...

He then explained how, even though he didn't watch the game, and hadn't seen a replay of the play in question, the targeting call was absolute bull. And he's sure of it, because his friend, who played football in high school back in the day, told him, and he'd know.

I explained to him that the call was correct, and he assured me that it wasn't, because his buddy played football in high school (and, you know, I didn't?)

Then, he went on to explain to me how, even if it was legit, it's an almost impossible thing for a team to lose a player like that and bounce back. It's demoralizing. It destroys the team's will to live. When I asked him if that applied to Iowa State losing their receiver on the same play due to the illegal hit, he said, and I quote "no, because their player wasn't as important to the team as Iowa's."

Clue Less....

So the guy that last week caught a touchdown pass, threw a touchdown pass, and ran back a punt for a touchdown is not as important as their DB Lomax?

So sorry his mom smoked crack when he was still in the womb, but that's really just unbelievable

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
Clue Less....

So the guy that last week caught a touchdown pass, threw a touchdown pass, and ran back a punt for a touchdown is not as important as their DB Lomax?

So sorry his mom smoked crack when he was still in the womb, but that's really just unbelievable

when he said it, I laughed, shook my head, then proceeded to ignore him until he walked out the door.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Section 132. The guy had a on shirt that said "Party like a Champion Today." Clearly had the jewels showing. I wanted to puke. A couple of gals behind me noticed it also and started laughing. I guess a lady beside us got rubbed by them as he was walking with both hands full of concessions!

Seems like this guy really should be a Ball State fan.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What else do people have to say about the new location for visitors? Surprised it took them so long to stop giving us such great seats for games at Kinnick.

JackDog

Aug 31, 2012
Washington
I gotta say i had a pretty decent experience. I sat in the student section with a few high school friends. Most of the students close to me seemed respectful, just fairly ignorant. One guy a few rows behind me asked me what number Lazard was, then i overheard him and his friend talkin about how dumb he was for not going to Iowa. I held my tongue, but i suprised to hear them continue to compliment him, rather than the expected, "hes overrated anyway" etc

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
This was from a bar. A hawk friend said to me "schref is going to destroy morrisay allllll day" and I said something along the lines of ya I guess we will see (knowing that schref would in fact probably kill him) and the very next play morrisay got a sack!

Also, high fiving after the field goal went in, there were probably 50 hawk fans in the bar, I turn around and everyone of them but 1 had walked out of the bar haha.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Any idea where a guy would go about getting one of these?

I believe I've actually seen this shirt at Pro Image in Valley West. Don't completely take my word for it...I may have it crossed up with the Vikings/Bears/Packers shirts they have in the similar vein.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
We had a few good people around us. The ISU fans in front of us thought the targeting call was pretty weak. I didn't have a problem with it - it's part of the game.

There were two ISU girls that were quiet all the way up until the FG, and then got loud and obnoxious. A couple guys behind us yelled at them "Go back to Lames *****!" And they yelled back "We will, Iowa ****** sucks ****!"

That was pretty much the worst of it though.

Did see an Iowa fan purposely bump into an ISU fan walking in the opposite direction, but again, pretty tame. I was surprised.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Many, many stories from Saturday, before, during, and after the game. Hawk fans in the game putting their hands in front of my wife and my faces asking for fives after every play, which we never returned. The guy in front of us who held up his hands to make the "Safety" signal after Neely's fumble into the endzone for the entire review. Every fan around us was laughing at him as he didn't have a clue. The hatred for Greg Davis's gameplan the entire game. I had to explain what targeting was to all the fans around us, but they still complained like they knew what the rules where. Any Hawk fan that gave us crap during the game had left said game by the time there were 5 minutes left.
Everyone prior to the game was pretty nice, granted, we were there with Iowa fans who basically told everyone to be nice. One guy did say the Hawk offense was holding back waiting for the ISU game, glad they opened it up :)

After the game a 40 something Hawk fan was ******** to my buddy (Hawk fan) about how the refs let ISU win, my buddy told him to grow up and get over it that it wasn't the refs who decided that game. The other guy instantly got ******, wanted fight my buddy, etc. My buddy is twice his size, was sober, and basically laughed at him, the other guy went off stating "hit me and I will own your wife". We didn't really get what that meant, but just funny that an "adult" would act like that. The best part was my buddy got the last word saying "typical Iowa fan, acting like a baby and making excuses, you got beat, get over it". I was proud to be friends with an Iowa fan during that moment. The guy followed us just staring at my buddy for at least 5 minutes, other Hawk fans were telling him to get lost, was glad to see that as the guy was a jerk.

All in all, I had a great experience tailgating and speaking with the fans. After the game most of the fans we were around wouldn't even make eye contact, packed up their stuff, and were really upset, I get it, just funny to see the reactions.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
How can people not understand the game of football. Sure we all look at the game with a different eye and different experience levels, but so many casual fans seem to have no ******* clue as to what's going on.

USC game last year a drunk **** was yelling from the 97th row at the refs. Then called on USC to air it out. When USC opens up the passing game he ******* that they abandoned the run.

****** sakes. Watch the game. Enjoy the action. If you have an intelligent comment then fire away.

If you don't know **** then shut the **** up. That easy

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
I had a great time as always. Tailgated along the river near the library for a few hours and it was easy to get in and out despite a ton of traffic. Walked across the river up the hill and tailgated at a house parking lot about a sand wedge away from the stadium for another few hours. Got stopped by some cops for having an open container on the sidewalk, but they just asked nicely to dump it out and not drink on streets or sidewalks. a house to the south of us had a back yard absolutely packed with college kids and folks on the roof leading cheers and activities that wasted a lot of beer. a lot of iowa and isu students partying together. lots of eye candy as always.

my only complaint is that the place is seemingly always under construction. and holy crap is the hospital huge.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron