CR area Clones - Cy's After 5 is canceled this month

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
FYI for CR area Clones - Cy's After 5 is canceled this month- Apparently Daniel Arthur's is closing.

Too bad, I had not been in awhile but was planning on attending this week.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What is Cy's after 5?

Alumni Association happy hours held by clubs around the country. If ISU has your current address and a valid email you should get emails on these local events. Emails are sorted by appropriate area zipcodes first but no email on record than no emails from local club.

Twin Cities group will be at Bayside Grill on Lake Minnetonka on the 26th if you are in the Twin Cities. :smile:

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I have the same question. I've lived in CR since 1991 and this is the first I've heard of Cy's after 5.

Daniel Arthur's is closing? That sucks - it's a pretty neat place. First Smulekoffs, now this ...

It's wasn't heavily promoted and I only attended it once, I thought it was a neat thing to do. I'm disappointed that DA's is closing, although the last time the wife and I ate there, the menu options were not that good. I'm sure that someone will re-open the restaurant under a different name, it's gone through at least 3 different names that I can remember.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Would love to get together with some CR cyclones for a game and/or drinks. Preferably not at the Fieldhouse. Judging from the tailgate tours in CR, there are plenty of Cyclone fans down here!

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Girlfriend and I are recent ISU grads and new to CR area and would love to attend regular alumni hangouts and game watches in Cedar Rapids. Anyone know of a ISU friendly bar we could frequent?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Girlfriend and I are recent ISU grads and new to CR area and would love to attend regular alumni hangouts and game watches in Cedar Rapids. Anyone know of a ISU friendly bar we could frequent?

That's a tough one - I know in the past the alumni association has had game watches at the Fieldhouse - but there's no way I'm going to a black and gold painted place to watch. I've hit up a few random places to watch games and never received any grief from Iowa fans. In fact, I found that during basketball games, the Iowa fans actually pull for Hoiberg and the team most of the time.

However, I pretty much stay at home now to watch games. I have a bar and 60" screen in the basement that does the trick for me. I wouldn't mind finding a place with a bunch of you all to watch - or you all can come over to my place (seriously) if you don't smell bad. :)

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

I generally stay home to watch the games, however I thought Third Base Brewery usually pulled in ISU fans for their games.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
It's wasn't heavily promoted and I only attended it once, I thought it was a neat thing to do. I'm disappointed that DA's is closing, although the last time the wife and I ate there, the menu options were not that good. I'm sure that someone will re-open the restaurant under a different name, it's gone through at least 3 different names that I can remember.
Must be the ghost is acting up again

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I have the same question. I've lived in CR since 1991 and this is the first I've heard of Cy's after 5.

Daniel Arthur's is closing? That sucks - it's a pretty neat place. First Smulekoffs, now this ...

That blows. We haven't been to DA's in awhile, however liked it. CR area really stinks for fine dining.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
That's a tough one - I know in the past the alumni association has had game watches at the Fieldhouse - but there's no way I'm going to a black and gold painted place to watch. I've hit up a few random places to watch games and never received any grief from Iowa fans. In fact, I found that during basketball games, the Iowa fans actually pull for Hoiberg and the team most of the time.

However, I pretty much stay at home now to watch games. I have a bar and 60" screen in the basement that does the trick for me. I wouldn't mind finding a place with a bunch of you all to watch - or you all can come over to my place (seriously) if you don't smell bad. :)

I moved away from CR, but this was most of the reason we went there. You get to watch all the hawk fans squirm for the whole game. Plus, the owner caters to the ISU AA pretty well.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've been looking in CR area for an ISU bar for ~20 years. No such animal. For a year or two, Mahoney's in Marion would do stuff, but not really a sports bar anyway. Haven't been there for years. The former Hardee's that is now Cibo was a dedicated ISU bar for about 6 months once, but it couldn't make it.

Basically, no owners want to take the risk of alienating the Hawk fans who might come in -- since they have 100 options, why go to the ISU bar? And 40 FB+BB games isn't enough to keep you alive all year (I guess - don't know much about the food/drink business).

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
I would venture to guess that the same people that don't get emails from Iowa State about things like Cy After 5 are the same people who don't fill out the alumni verification cards because they don't want Iowa State to contact them.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I'm sure that someone will re-open the restaurant under a different name, it's gone through at least 3 different names that I can remember.

If you remember when it was Cafe du Klos, the people who ran it then have opened a new Cafe du Klos in Vinton. I recommend it, and not just because I am friends with people related to the owners.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
D.A.'s went down hill the past couple years. I took a client there one night and had to send 3 bottles of wine back because they were spoiled. Plus the menu went down hill, they had great apps but their main courses when down the crapper.

He did have a cool bar set up and patio, hopefully something can go into there and fix the problems.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron