Poll: Should Wimberly Be Returning Kicks

Should Wimberly be Returning Kicks This Year?

• Yes, he should be our #1 return guy

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • Yes, but in a rotation with West and Nealy

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Yes, but only sparingly, mainly using West and Nealy

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • No, we should be using West and Nealy instead

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • No, we should be using mainly West instead

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • No, we should be using mainly Nealy instead

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • No, we should be using players other than Wimberly, Nealy, and West

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no opinion. Leave it to the coaches to decide what is best.

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • I don't care

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
While we've got the other thread already rolling on this topic, someone mentioned that this question may be better in a poll format, so here you go.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Come on guys, you should know better :). You've got to give it a sec. The thread always gets created before you can start creating the poll and I can't create a poll in 5 seconds (I'm waiting for the response of someone saying they can because I know it is coming).

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Come on guys, you should know better :). You've got to give it a sec. The thread always gets created before you can start creating the poll and I can't create a poll in 5 seconds (I'm waiting for the response of someone saying they can because I know it is coming).

I just wanted to be the first to give you crap. I was also the first person to vote after the poll actually appeared.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I just wanted to be the first to give you crap. I was also the first person to vote after the poll actually appeared.

I figured that. Every time I create a poll (I'm one of the few who ever posts them), I swear there is always some wise guy waiting to throw in a jab at having no poll as quick as possible before they know the poll can get created.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Count me in the group that would rather not see him out there returning kicks. Truthfully in my mind, Jarvis, Nealy and Wimberly are all great returners, but are all on about an equal level in my mind. But, of the 3, losing Wimberley for the season would be far more painful to the team than losing Jarvis or Nealy, and even if Wimberly is slightly (I only see him slightly better at best) better than the other two on returns, the marginal improvement wouldn't be worth it. Now if we only had Wimberly and not the other two, then I would be all for throwing him out there. It just is why risk it when we have such other good options?

One thing that may be at play that nobody has talked about is the fact that it seems Wimberly wants the job. With that said, part of me wonders if he wants the job simply because he enjoys it or if he wants the job moreso to add to his future potential NFL resume (he is a Senior). There is no doubt that when you are a fringe camp guy trying to make an NFL squad, which Wimberly has a decent chance of being, being a good special teams player is VERY important. They usually try to fill those last few spots with versatile players and a solid running back who has a proven track record of returning kicks certainly would definitely help.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Have to finish this off now! So you're telling me it takes a while to pop out of it's shell huh.:embarrassed:

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
And in all seriousness, I want an option on the poll of "Whoever is best for the job should return kicks." Because that's who gets my vote, whether Wimberly, Nealy, West, or other.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
And in all seriousness, I want an option on the poll of "Whoever is best for the job should return kicks." Because that's who gets my vote, whether Wimberly, Nealy, West, or other.
Typically you don't put your most valuable players back to return. It's not smart to risk losing a player that can have a direct impact on wins and losses individually.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
I didn't say most valuable player, and that'd be a debate with Wimberly anyways, but the best for the job. If you're not trying to put the best product out there in all situations, then you're doing it wrong. Especially at a school like Iowa State, where special teams play can make a big difference in the outcomes of games. We need to take advatage of every single facet of the game and exploit opportunities wherever they may be. I think Wimberly will have a great year in the backfield and on special teams.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think it is worth noting that with 16 votes in the book, it is about neck and neck between all the "yes" answers and all the "no" answers.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If I felt like Wimberly could hold up under the demands of a lead running back, then I'd say no. He'd be too valuable to the offense. But from what we've seen, he can't handle that kind of workload. So if that's the case and he's the best big play threat they have, then his ability is wasted by having him planted on the bench on kickoff returns. It's not as if he's more likely to be injured on a kick return than a running play off tackle. Maximize his talents by giving him the ball in the open field, and let the chips fall where they may.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I wouldn't mind giving some of the younger guys a shot. Tyler Brown certainly has speed, and he's hardly the only one. Not sure if it's worth burning a redshirt just to have Mike Warren return kicks, but if he makes it onto the three deep, why not? Same with someone like Vic Holmes.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
If he's one of the top 2 options, why shouldn't he?

We are Iowa State, we don't have unlimited speed guys that can make things happen. You have to find as many ways as possible to give the electric guys in the program as many touches as possible.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
If he gives us the best ability to return kicks, then of course. Are folks against this because of risk of injury? If so, I'd like to know if you have any statistics about the added risk of returning kicks. I don't think that "increase" is enough to justify keeping him on the sideline when he could be positively impacting the game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron