The downfall of Radio Shack

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
We have a Radio Shack store here in Newton and really don't know how they are surviving. I very seldom see any customers in it. I like it because you can get some odd ball electrical connectors or adapters. But otherwise, I doubt it would be missed.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Just about every time I go into Best Buy, they don't have the item I need and tell me that I can just find it on their website and it can be shipped. Well, if I can find it on their website, I can find it on just about any tech website, so I stopped going there and am more of an online guy myself.

Best Buy is definitely the new Sears in that their stores are basically just showrooms for their catalog/website now.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
That's true, but there are plenty of people who aren't comfortable ordering larger items, like big televisions and appliances online. Radio Shack didn't really have anything like that. Literally everything in their store was much easier to get online.

Except the fat sweaty guy who can't find what I'm asking for in his 180 square foot store.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
We have a Radio Shack store here in Newton and really don't know how they are surviving. I very seldom see any customers in it. I like it because you can get some odd ball electrical connectors or adapters. But otherwise, I doubt it would be missed.

Even as a kid, I remember going into Radio Shack, seeing all of the capacitors and diodes and things like that, and thinking "who buys this stuff?" Is/was there some large group of DIY electronics hobbyists out there that I'm completely oblivious to?

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I only order small things from Amazon, because I worry about larger items getting stuck in the Internet's tubes while they're being delivered.

1281455890-ted-stevens.jpg

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Even as a kid, I remember going into Radio Shack, seeing all of the capacitors and diodes and things like that, and thinking "who buys this stuff?" Is/was there some large group of DIY electronics hobbyists out there that I'm completely oblivious to?
Ham radio operators unite!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

At one point in time there were a number of DIY guys, including me. Electronics have gotten way too complicated to work on, and way too cheap to fix. Radio Shack was a great place to get a resistor or diode that burned out, or a switch, or a fuse panel or connectors. They are like a hardware store, there is not enough money in nuts and bolts, and no one wants to fix anything anymore.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Internet retailers sure have taken a toll on the "Big Box" type stores because they don't have as much overhead costs with labor and store costs so they can offer better pricing. From time to time I may find a better deal at a place like Best Buy but anymore Amazon and Newegg usually can beat most prices BB has. It's amazing just how many things even non-electronics you can find cheaper online and the best part is most of them offer free shipping so you save time and money of not having to go to the store by having it delivered to your doorstep.

One retailer that I think is finding a good way to keep people coming to the store is Target. Despite their security breach issue the 5% off your entire purchase at the cash register with their RedCard along with getting their cartwheel app on your smartphone can save you quite a bit. A few weeks ago they had a 2 day cartwheel offer for 15% off all electronics so combine that with the 5% if you have a RedCard and 20% off was a pretty good deal. We have a 3 1/2 month newborn so you can imagine just how much we pay attention to diaper and formula discounts too as a few bucks savings here and there add up pretty quickly.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
No idea what it is like today, as it has been a couple years since I have been in one. The last time I was in, I was buying something pretty small and simple like a basic replacement TV remote or something. When I tried to check out the guy running the register wanted so much personal info I thought he was going to run a criminal background check and pull my credit. Then he starts in on whether or not I want to look at upgrading my cell phone. It was ridiculous.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Internet retailers sure have taken a toll on the "Big Box" type stores because they don't have as much overhead costs with labor and store costs so they can offer better pricing. From time to time I may find a better deal at a place like Best Buy but anymore Amazon and Newegg usually can beat most prices BB has. It's amazing just how many things even non-electronics you can find cheaper online and the best part is most of them offer free shipping so you save time and money of not having to go to the store by having it delivered to your doorstep.

One retailer that I think is finding a good way to keep people coming to the store is Target. Despite their security breach issue the 5% off your entire purchase at the cash register with their RedCard along with getting their cartwheel app on your smartphone can save you quite a bit. A few weeks ago they had a 2 day cartwheel offer for 15% off all electronics so combine that with the 5% if you have a RedCard and 20% off was a pretty good deal. We have a 3 1/2 month newborn so you can imagine just how much we pay attention to diaper and formula discounts too as a few bucks savings here and there add up pretty quickly.

How does that address the higher overhead expense issue, though? At the end of the day, it still costs Amazon less than Target to sell the same item.

Target's only niche for me is that it's where I go when I want something right now, but even that's being challenged by Amazon's same-day shipping and their drone delivery plans.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I definitely still go to Best Buy from time to time, but it's only when I need something right away and don't want to pay extra for same-day shipping. iPhone came in the mail, so I went to Best Buy that afternoon and bought a case for it. That sort of thing.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Probably. I do a lot of odd little things around the house that require some electronic components of some kind.

The problem with Radioshack, was that they didn't embrace the internet when it came along like they should have. Any brick and mortar based chain, that didn't have a website that told you weather or not you could just stop in and pick up an item, was way behind imo. It was just easier to order what I needed from a web entity that told me they had it in stock and how long it would take for me to get it. I haven't been to radioshack for years, but the last time I was there, I remember their website being much like their B&M stores, "Need a smart phone? Need Smart phone accessories? Oh, you want what? We might have that, go try to find it over there."

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
They're experiencing some ups and downs, for sure. But, they're a lot more diversified than Radio Shack, as far as what they sell. That helps.

They are still slowly melting away. The aisles are getting bigger with less merchandise. DVDs/CDs/TVs/phones/ACER and other competitor computers/video games are not enough to survive.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
How does that address the higher overhead expense issue, though? At the end of the day, it still costs Amazon less than Target to sell the same item.

Target's only niche for me is that it's where I go when I want something right now, but even that's being challenged by Amazon's same-day shipping and their drone delivery plans.

Amazon Prime has hurt Best Buy, Gamestop, and Radioshack. Why get in a car when you can let your fingers do the walking?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'm glad the one in Mtown is in a prime location, it should be taken over by something quick.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010

Have you ever compare shopped items? Half the time I look at tools I need and Amazon costs either the same price as me going down the street to the mom and pop hardware store or it costs more on Amazon.

Just for example (I was just looking at this impact driver just this past week), this costs $50 less to run over to Lowe's than to order it through Amazon.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_246924-70-D...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF895...-1&keywords=dewalt+dcf895c2+20v+impact+wrench

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Amazon Prime has hurt Best Buy, Gamestop, and Radioshack. Why get in a car when you can let your fingers do the walking?

True. But other industries aren't dying.

I've always wondered why Home Improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot don't struggle like the Best Buy's of the world. Someone will spend $1,000 and buy a 60" TV online but they won't buy a rake or paintbrushes? Consumers are strange like that sometimes...

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I still repair things, but RS' inventory for electronics parts and tools has been drastically reduced for a number years now, so I don't even bother to go to RS anymore for those things. There is a Fry's near by that carries this stuff, and if Fry's doesn't have it, Mouser and Allied Electronics are close enough by that I can get stuff the next day. The problem with Mouser and Allied is the paying-$5-shipping-for-a-$1-part scenario.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
The Internet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
(you get the idea)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Radio Shack
Certainly a major part of it. They could have avoided some of that if they'd continued selling their own line of stereo equipment, that you couldn't get anywhere else and had a loyal following.

Now you really can't get that stuff there either. I went in a few years ago looking for a replacement speaker for a TV. Used to be the kind of stuff you could find there and be on your way in about five minutes. "Nope, we stopped selling that stuff a few years ago." Well, I guess you should'a stopped callin' yourself Radio Shack, then.

Even after they stopped producing their own stereo equipment they still carried name brand stuff like Sony. But they never had any stock and always tried to sell you the floor model. I'm not paying retail for a floor model that's been used and abused.

Just every possible thing they could do to shoot themselves in the foot, they did. A model of mis-management.