The downfall of Radio Shack

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Last time I needed a flat circular battery I went to Walgreens and they had what I needed too. Not sure that's a real great niche.

You're probably getting a better deal there. I'll try that next time, thanks!

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I went to Radioshack the other day because I needed a voice recorder for work. The only one they had was $260! I asked the lady who was helping me find the voice recorders if that was the only one they had. She said ya. I laughed at her and walked out.

Twenty minutes later I bought a $2 app on my phone that does everything I need.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
What do you mean by a "pop". If you mean a decrease in new retail construction, I don't think that will really happen. All these big box chains are obsessed with consistent layouts and control over their buildings. For most of your biggest chains it's just easier to build new than to try and re-purpose an existing store. So from a new construction aspect, I don't think it will be much of a factor. The real problem will be all these towns that were thrilled to get a Best Buy when they were at their peak now getting stuck with an empty shell that is near impossible to get sold or leased.
This. First Hobby Lobby moves in. Then Big Lots. Then Fitness Forever. Then vacant for ten years, and (if you are lucky), it finally is bull dozed.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
My last trip to Best Buy was when my WiFi router crapped out. Certainly couldn't live without WiFi for a day or two waiting for shipping, so I did my research online and headed off to Best Buy to make my purchase. They price matched Amazon, and I was back up and running in under an hour. That said, I am also one who used to be a regular at Best Buy that barely sets foot in the store now, and I don't know what they could do to change that. I'm not sure my random emergency purchase scenario is enough to keep a big store like that running.
WHen people stopped buying CD's, that was the end for BB.

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
Reading about and noticing the downfall of places like Radio Shack and Best Buy makes me feel old.

I learned to use, play games and program BASIC on a Tandy PC. Monochrome monitor and all. Didnt even have a modem.

Any teenager that ever shoehorned amps and subwoofers into a car found all the electrical connectors and parts they needed there.

I used to always be annoyed with RadioShack getting all your details but I used to enjoy thumbing thru the big catalog they sent you. A tech geeks dream. I Cant remember when I last went in a Radio Shack though. Probably because I couldnt find the Odd sized battery I needed at Menards and remembered I drove by one on the way there.

Am I the only one that cant find anything easily in the new interior design for Best Buy ? Of course when they have no cases for an Amazon Kindle, it is pretty easy to NOT find them....

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I stopped in a radio shack last year on the oregon coast because my wife's usb phone cable crapped out, other than that no idea when I was last in one. Best Buy occasionally for impulse buys when I don't want to wait a day, not very often though.