Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Just added this quote to the story.

"
If we can't come to resolution that is satisfactory on enforcement and on transfers, then those become autonomous items about which the five high‑visibility conferences can go our own way and devise our own system."

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
tumblr_mi1n1cm5a51rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Hello, SEC.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Just added this quote to the story.

"
If we can't come to resolution that is satisfactory on enforcement and on transfers, then those become autonomous items about which the five high‑visibility conferences can go our own way and devise our own system."

I assume he's talking about closing off the 5th year loophole when he's talking about transfers?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Gene did not have enough in his bag after he won the national championship.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
yawn. get back with me when something actually happens and actually hurts a the "important universities".

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
I assume this was Bowlsby's stance while at the University of Iowa. Nothing new, he's been doing it for years.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

NOOOO!
That would not help us.

Yea, but it's also the most blatantly exploited rule with regards to transfers. If any sort of paying players scheme comes to pass in the Big 5 conferences, it's going to go hand-in-hand with some rules reform as well, at least imo. Immediate eligibility for graduated transfers is going to be one of the 1st rules to go bye-bye.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Yea, but it's also the most blatantly exploited rule with regards to transfers. If any sort of paying players scheme comes to pass in the Big 5 conferences, it's going to go hand-in-hand with some rules reform as well, at least imo. Immediate eligibility for graduated transfers is going to be one of the 1st rules to go bye-bye.

This may very well happen because the haves don't like the fact that the have nots can make themselves contenders very quickly by bringing in a 5th year transfer. I disagree with this sentiment. A student-athlete who has earned their bachelor's degree with eligibility remaining should have the right to finish their career at another school with immediate eligibility. The whole point of NCAA rules is to promote graduation.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
This may very well happen because the haves don't like the fact that the have nots can make themselves contenders very quickly by bringing in a 5th year transfer. I disagree with this sentiment. A student-athlete who has earned their bachelor's degree with eligibility remaining should have the right to finish their career at another school with immediate eligibility. The whole point of NCAA rules is to promote graduation.

I suppose that makes some sense, but then they need to do away with this bogus notion of going for an unavailable graduate program.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Did Bowlsby address major boosters for college programs who can hire handlers for undisclosed salaries to "coach" at a "school" to donate money to a recruit due to a pre-existing relationship?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Did Bowlsby address major boosters for college programs who can hire handlers for undisclosed salaries to "coach" at a "school" to donate money to a recruit due to a pre-existing relationship?

Can we just get rid of handlers all together? Or better yet, can someone explain the difference between a handler (allowed) and an agent (not allowed)?