Miller's prediction & comments. OUCH!!!!!

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Hawk fans love to talk about history and Alford was the last coach to take them to the tourney. Disagree with where the program is it now compared to Alford. He made the dance 2 out of his 3 last years in Iowa City and got ran out of town

And he was going to lose Brunner, Horner and Hansen before he left town. Alford left for the New Mexico job, he wasn't ran out of town.

The program right now after Frans 4th year is in better shape than when Alford left.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
And he was going to lose Brunner, Horner and Hansen before he left town. Alford left for the New Mexico job, he wasn't ran out of town.

The program right now after Frans 4th year is in better shape than when Alford left.
Ya I think he has done just fine since that time and he hasn't had Brunner, Horner or Hansen.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Wow, you're still not getting it. Are you really this dumb or trying to troll? This isn't about "successful" or "respect." This is about YOUR claim that ISU fans think they're a blue blood in basketball (which wasn't proven) and YOUR claim that Iowa fans don't call them a blue blood school (which would be synonymous with elite.) I provided examples of Hawk fans stating they're elite (when they're not) and now you're changing the goalposts to successful/respect, which is VASTLY different than elite or a blue blood.

Because when you are in the B1G and make a January Bowl it is going to have some prestige 99% of the time (BCS, Cap One, Outback, Gator). It's not like Iowa is bragging they made a January Bowl game when they play in some 3rd rate bowl that is for some odd reason scheduled on January 4th.

Yet you're bragging about the B1G, which is a weak conference and will further be watered down due to the additions of Rutgers and Maryland. Even worse, Iowa will be in the West, which is a joke compared to the East. ISU would make a bowl most years if they played in the B1G. So Iowa making a better bowl is an accomplishment, however hardly puts you on an elite status like many of your brethren states. Using the term "January Bowl" is idiotic as the current measure for elite schools are BCS Bowls and Conference Titles. How does Iowa compare to elite schools in those measures?

And you are really going to bring something like the Directors Cup into this?

Of course I am. It's a data point that Iowa's performance in the Big 10 is pathetic. Eleven schools are top 50 while Iowa is at 70. It shows there is a major disparity between Iowa and their peers with athletic performance and not an elite school.

Successful football program- check

No arguments here. I think most here would state Iowa is a successful program, however you're far from elite.

Basketball program gaining respect back- check

Yes and no. You're gaining respect from the rock-bottom of the Lick years, however Iowa is nowhere near their levels during the Alford/Dr. Tom/Ravling/Lute years. Gaining respect means you're still not elite or even successful. (Hint--Iowa has neither.)

Still have a top 3 wrestling program nationally-check

Iowa is elite here, however you're a hypocrite bringing this into the conversation while slamming the Director's Cup and the other Olympic sports. In other parts of the country, people care about their track, volleyball, and swimming more than wrestling. Why pick and choose sports? At least if you left it to solely football and MBB, basically the money sports and minor leagues to popular pro leagues, you could get away with slamming Director's Cup.

Top 20 nationally in AD revenue-check

Does this make you elite or a good money-making school? The Chicago Cubs are a high revenue team. How is their performance? How are the NY Knicks doing? What about the Oakland Raiders?

Give me the above any day of the week instead of being successful in track, volleyball or swimming.

Check and mate.

Translation--when Iowa is good in those programs, I'll jump on the bandwagon like my fellow fans did for Fry's football, MBB after the Lick years, wrestling, and only other successful programs while being an Iowa "fan".

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Wow, you're still not getting it. Are you really this dumb or trying to troll? This isn't about "successful" or "respect." This is about YOUR claim that ISU fans think they're a blue blood in basketball (which wasn't proven) and YOUR claim that Iowa fans don't call them a blue blood school (which would be synonymous with elite.) I provided examples of Hawk fans stating they're elite (when they're not) and now you're changing the goalposts to successful/respect, which is VASTLY different than elite or a blue blood.

Yet you're bragging about the B1G, which is a weak conference and will further be watered down due to the additions of Rutgers and Maryland. Even worse, Iowa will be in the West, which is a joke compared to the East. ISU would make a bowl most years if they played in the B1G. So Iowa making a better bowl is an accomplishment, however hardly puts you on an elite status like many of your brethren states. Using the term "January Bowl" is idiotic as the current measure for elite schools are BCS Bowls and Conference Titles. How does Iowa compare to elite schools in those measures?

Of course I am. It's a data point that Iowa's performance in the Big 10 is pathetic. Eleven schools are top 50 while Iowa is at 70. It shows there is a major disparity between Iowa and their peers with athletic performance and not an elite school.

No arguments here. I think most here would state Iowa is a successful program, however you're far from elite.

Yes and no. You're gaining respect from the rock-bottom of the Lick years, however Iowa is nowhere near their levels during the Alford/Dr. Tom/Ravling/Lute years. Gaining respect means you're still not elite or even successful. (Hint--Iowa has neither.)

Iowa is elite here, however you're a hypocrite bringing this into the conversation while slamming the Director's Cup and the other Olympic sports. In other parts of the country, people care about their track, volleyball, and swimming more than wrestling. Why pick and choose sports? At least if you left it to solely football and MBB, basically the money sports and minor leagues to popular pro leagues, you could get away with slamming Director's Cup.

Does this make you elite or a good money-making school? The Chicago Cubs are a high revenue team. How is their performance? How are the NY Knicks doing? What about the Oakland Raiders?

Translation--when Iowa is good in those programs, I'll jump on the bandwagon like my fellow fans did for Fry's football, MBB after the Lick years, wrestling, and only other successful programs while being an Iowa "fan".

It's funny you think ISU would make a bowl most years if they played in the B1G. ISU football is like Indiana football, except ISU doesn't have a competent offense.

The rest of your post was pretty "meh".

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
were likely arguing with a 13 year old on summer vacation

Not backtracking in the slightest. I never said UNI will be better than ISU this year, only stated how incrediblely stupid it is to say ISU is without a doubt a better team when they lost to them last year.

As far as 2001 I will just have to take your word for it, as I'm not too sure what college message board banter was like at during the dawn of this milenium.

It's funny you think ISU would make a bowl most years if they played in the B1G. ISU football is like Indiana football, except ISU doesn't have a competent offense.

Translation:
"I am incapable of arguing with logic...I am only good at braggadocio."

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Translation:
"I am incapable of arguing with logic...I am only good at braggadocio."

His post was filled with Clone fan talking points that just get regurgitated over and over and over.

I have never seen a fan base care so much about teh Directors Cup.

And frankly, he loses all credibility when he says ISU would make a bowl game most years if they were in the B1G.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
His post was filled with Clone fan talking points that just get regurgitated over and over and over.

I have never seen a fan base care so much about teh Directors Cup.

And frankly, he loses all credibility when he says ISU would make a bowl game most years if they were in the B1G.

My posts are filled with Hawk fan talking points that just get regurgitated over and over and over.

You have never seen a fan base care so much about "January Bowls" as we do.

And frankly, I lose all credibility when I say Iowa's MBB is in better shape now than under Alford.

FIFY
Door swings both ways. Go back & read through your own posts if you doubt me.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
What B1G team made one of those four bowls I listed by doing that?

Iowa made the 2006 Outback Bowl going 7-4. They had basically one good win on their schedule. And they played two ranked teams all year prior to the bowl game. I'm not saying ISU wouldn't love to have a season like that, they would. But don't preach to us how prestigious it is to play in January when you can do that with 7 wins and a crap schedule.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Indiana has all of ONE bowl appearance this century. And their last bowl win was back in the 80's. Try again. ISU has been more competitive in a historically (last 15-20 years) more competitive conference. Now, if you wanted to say Minnesota (minus their national success that is ancient history), I'd buy that.

Indiana has a competent offense now, and they did with Randel-El, but ISU has had much better teams on average since McCarney turned them around. I think that you're letting one year cloud your judgment.

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Iowa made the 2006 Outback Bowl going 7-4. They had basically one good win on their schedule. And they played two ranked teams all year prior to the bowl game. I'm not saying ISU wouldn't love to have a season like that, they would. But don't preach to us how prestigious it is to play in January when you can do that with 7 wins and a crap schedule.

7 wins on an 11 game schedule is a little different than a 12 game schedule as the extra game is guaranteed to be a home game against a cupcake for a huge majority of BCS conference teams.

And you still didn't answer my question about what B1G team has made a January bowl game with the original criteria you listed.

Also, a lot of people chalk most of the credit up to the Iowa fan base for the 2006 Outback Bowl berth. Michigan beat Iowa that year and they had identical records after the regular season, but somehow Iowa got the Outback Bowl. It helps to have a fan base with one of the best reputations for following their team in all of college football.

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Indiana has all of ONE bowl appearance this century. And their last bowl win was back in the 80's. Try again. ISU has been more competitive in a historically (last 15-20 years) more competitive conference. Now, if you wanted to say Minnesota (minus their national success that is ancient history), I'd buy that.

Indiana has a competent offense now, and they did with Randel-El, but ISU has had much better teams on average since McCarney turned them around. I think that you're letting one year cloud your judgment.

Minnesota football>ISU football in every aspect possible the last 20 years.

To be comparable you actually have to equal or better them in something....anything.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
7 wins on an 11 game schedule is a little different than a 12 game schedule as the extra game is guaranteed to be a home game against a cupcake for a huge majority of BCS conference teams.

And you still didn't answer my question about what B1G team has made a January bowl game with the original criteria you listed.

Also, a lot of people chalk most of the credit up to the Iowa fan base for the 2006 Outback Bowl berth. Michigan beat Iowa that year and they had identical records after the regular season, but somehow Iowa got the Outback Bowl. It helps to have a fan base with one of the best reputations for following their team in all of college football (when they're winning).

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
You can hate Alfraud all you want but anybody in their right mind would take him over Fern.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Also, a lot of people chalk most of the credit up to the Iowa fan base for the 2006 Outback Bowl berth. Michigan beat Iowa that year and they had identical records after the regular season, but somehow Iowa got the Outback Bowl. It helps to have a fan base with one of the best reputations for following their team in all of college football.

First off, I don't have to answer your question. 7 wins got you in. Now it's 8 (with 4 nonconference games and the usual slate of B1G lackies). My point is that you don't have to be that good to play on NYD and anyone with half a brain knows that those games have lost a lot of their luster.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Minnesota football>ISU football in every aspect possible the last 20 years.

To be comparable you actually have to equal or better them in something....anything.

How about head to head? Or bowl wins in the last 10 years? Or attendance? Bowl games since 2000 have Minnesota at 10 and ISU at 8. I'd say that is much more comparable than ISU/Indiana.

Help Support Us

Become a patron