Proposed CIML Split

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'd assume so, since that's an IHSAA rule, and private schools are still subject to those rules. However, when I think about the people that transferred into my HS (private), none of the transfer kids really played sports, or they just went from public middle schools into our HS.

He might have moved, but Rico Gafford transferred from Des Moines East and was one of the big reasons Dowling won last season's title.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Coming from a school with that size roughly (2400 total) and friends that have been to larger and been to smaller. I'll take the bigger all day every day. The amount of resources to hire the best teachers, get the best tools, the involvement, you can be as big or as small as you want and no one will care. The arts and music departments are amazing (if you're into that). Because of the size, it prepared me for college at a big university. There were a ton, A TON, of people I met that dropped out because ISU was too big and they couldn't handle it. These people were coming from the Baxter's and Andrew High Schools of Iowa. Small 20 or less graduating classes.

There were also kids from big schools that dropped out. I have a class of 85, we have Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Accounts, MIS, and other very successful people in my class. We also could be involved in everything we wanted had the ability to AP classes, have fun and be known in the community. I know people that graduated at towards the top of their 2000 student class that struggled with college. Believe it or not there are people that leave a large school district and go to a smaller one because the experience is better.

clone26

Jan 30, 2009
DSM
www.explorethemetro.com
Do kids that transfer to a private school have to sit out like the kids that open enroll? Serious question.

I believe they have to sit 90 days and it really only affects those that participate in winter sports as fall and spring athletes may time it up to serve their 90 days in their sport's offseason.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
If you open enroll, it costs something like $6000. Dowling or any other private school has the ability to allow a kid to attend for free.
And private schools don't receive the public funds to operate their schools, and rely on tuition to keep the doors open. What real benefit would a private school have to waive the 5-10K tuition fee?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
And private schools don't receive the public funds to operate their schools, and rely on tuition to keep the doors open. What real benefit would a private school have to waive the 5-10K tuition fee?
There isn't one. There's this stigma that all the private schools are super rich and can just give away money when in reality most of those schools
are also very financially constrained. The "scholarships" people ***** about are financial aid that's given based on predetermined criteria that is available to all students.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north

clone26

Jan 30, 2009
DSM
www.explorethemetro.com
My sources tell me that the proposed split is dead in the water for now and that schools will likely wait until the current scheduling cycle ends (after 2015-16 season) before making any changes to the current CIML.

It sounds like the whole split was moving too quickly for some of the metro schools and the AD's voiced their opinions to slow things down with regard to splitting up the CIML.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Interesting discussion.

Of course, things will look pretty different again in about 10 years. New schools will be considered "big" around the Des Moines area. Dallas Center-Grimes and Norwalk will both be over 700 BEDs in 2-3 years. Waukee will split in 4-6 years. Keep an eye on Johnston and SE Polk. Within 5-10 years they will be close to 2000 BEDs and could be pondering split high schools as well. That's easily five new 4A schools in 10 years.

The next wave will probably come from the Bondurants, Ballards and Gilberts of Central Iowa - give them 10-15 years and they could well be knocking on the door of 700 BEDs.

Keep watching population growth. The "suburban circle" of the Des Moines metro continues to expand outward - don't be surprised to see towns like Granger, Perry, Pella, Knoxville, Adel, Carlisle, etc. become hotspots for growth.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Interesting discussion.

Of course, things will look pretty different again in about 10 years. New schools will be considered "big" around the Des Moines area. Dallas Center-Grimes and Norwalk will both be over 700 BEDs in 2-3 years. Waukee will split in 4-6 years. Keep an eye on Johnston and SE Polk. Within 5-10 years they will be close to 2000 BEDs and could be pondering split high schools as well. That's easily five new 4A schools in 10 years.

The next wave will probably come from the Bondurants, Ballards and Gilberts of Central Iowa - give them 10-15 years and they could well be knocking on the door of 700 BEDs.

Keep watching population growth. The "suburban circle" of the Des Moines metro continues to expand outward - don't be surprised to see towns like Granger, Perry, Pella, Knoxville, Adel, Carlisle, etc. become hotspots for growth.

I can see Adel and Carlisle definitely reaching that status. But Perry, Pella and Knoxville are all about 40 miles away. In a state like Iowa, we're not going to get a metro area of that size.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Interesting discussion.

Dang urban sprawl! There usually poor planning that goes into this but every thing is cheap and people are happy. Should better plan out communities to maximize efficiencies. lol community planning rant :)

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
It was called the Metro Conference. The five city schools, Tech, Dowling, and Valley. Everything else was small potatoes around us then.