Cyclones to wear matte helmets in select games

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Most of the time matte finish like that just reminds me of my faded cheap plastic John Deere toys as a kid. It's rare that I like matte finish, though it's not never. Can't tell from a picture.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
I've already stated my opinion on matte helmets in the other thread. I hate all of them! Looks cheap, faded, and now overdone. Would rather see an experiment with the glossy chrome type finish that Oregon popularized.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
The matte is fine with a matte logo. This looks terrible. Would rather they not do it than do it poorly.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I think that tradition should count. ISU has changed its helmet more often than Bill Clinton drops his underwear in the oval office. I think maybe a different color might look better in that finish...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The matte finish helmets in that color without the logo look like the rubber balls we used in gym class!

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Hopefully they take the public's input about getting matte helmet stickers to go with it. It's a good thing those stickers are fairly cheap.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I really like matte helmets, but something seems off about these for some reason. Maybe it's just that sticker. Hopefully it looks good with the full uniform. I think they'd look pretty good with the all white uniforms.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hopefully they take the public's input about getting matte helmet stickers to go with it. It's a good thing those stickers are fairly cheap.

I doubt it. I certainly hope so.

Our uniforms are already the joke of the country pretty much, so I anticipate they will go with the shiny K-Mart quality looking sticker on the matte helmet that was cool 3 years ago.

It's just sad that there are people on this site with no design experience whatsoever that can come up with a better helmet concept in a few hours than what the athletic department can come up with in months.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Dipping our toes in the cool uniforms race is a good way to describe it. Not enough of a change to create much excitement and maybe just enough to look worse with our current unis, so probably a waste of money imo. I'd like to think we'll get a uniform overhaul with the new south end zone next year, but in the meantime we fall another year behind in the cool uniform wars.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I like the matte helmets but I think they will look terrible with our home jersey. IMO they should be used with the road whites only.

Help Support Us

Become a patron