One of my worst days ever...

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Tru, it happens to a good number of people at least once. Don't take it personal, and starting tomorrow, make your job search your new job.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Lost my job today. I know the saying, "one door closes, another opens". Tough to think about that right now...

I'm sorry! It's a grieving process, but it's not something to dwell on. It sucks that it happened, especially if you didn't see it coming. But the best part of it is that you can now do ANYTHING that you want to do! Empower yourself and take command of your job search! Turn your search into your 8-5 job! You might even consider networking via the folks on this board! Good luck!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Definitely sucks when it happens. Hopefully you didn't get the same condescending "we think this might actually be better for you than staying here" speech I got when I was let go. It can definitely lead to better things. Let yourself be hurt and ****** for a day or so and then find something better.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Tru, it happens to a good number of people at least once. Don't take it personal, and starting tomorrow, make your job search your new job.
This. Literally 8+ hrs a day. And yes it does happen to a lot of us at least once.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Sorry for the bad news. I lost my job 4 years ago. I would tell you to not burn bridges, stay positive, and be optimistic. Don't sell yourself short when looking for a new job. Act as if other companies need you and they're going to miss out if they don't hire you.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hang in there and good luck on your next job. I am preparing to retire from a job I would never have had if I had not been laid off several times in the 1970's from the architecture firm of Smith-Voorhess-Jensen. When I got laid off for the last time at SVJ I didn't take it very well and spent a month or so drinking in downtown Ames before I headed north to find work in the Twin Cities. Sure didn't seem like it at the time but there is NO way I would trade where I ended up for continued employment with that architecture firm in Iowa.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Sorry OP, it sucks, I got laid off right at Thanksgiving time this past year, I took 2 days and kind of laid around and caught up on some tv shows and did some internet lurking and then started my job search. Had 3 interviews lined up within 2 weeks and got (and took) a job offer by Christmas. I probably applied to 50 jobs. I suggest taking a look at what you want in life and figuring out if a change of scenery is all you need. It worked for me, I am 20x happier now than at my old job and pretty much all that changed was the state I was living in.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Sorry to hear that. Losing your job sucks as I lost mine around 5 years ago and know how it feels. Definitely a tough time to go through for sure, but you are hardly alone in experiencing it. I also hope you end up like me, where losing your job ended up being one of the best things to ever happen to you. I grew a lot as a person through it and also ended up in a much better place for me afterwards. Best of luck to you.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Been there. Most probably have.

Keep your chin up. Hopefully you are in a place where you can take a bit of time. Above said it right - there is a grieving process that goes with it, like many other things.

Give it some time, and then look at it as an opportunity. Loved what I was doing when I lost my gig. I won't say that it was good thing. But I think I ended up better for it in many ways.

Sure as hell didn't seem like it at the time though. Understand that completely.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I would get signed up for unemployment first thing. Once you know you'll have some sort of cash flow coming, it'll take some stress away.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I graduated from ISU with BS in HRI. Was in that field for 10 years, since then have managed a few different businesses. The last one I was with (7 1/2 years) was a garage door company in which I was responsible for everything except for doing the actual installs or services work. Sales exceeded 1M every year, which was a result of what I did, I was the salesman also. Thanks everyone for your support, it definitely helps!