Cy-Hawk locker room thief was former Iowa student with no connection to ISU

Stormwarning

Aug 6, 2013
I guess I was just glad he didn't say something like " Iowa offense takes iowa states defense's testicles". Brutal performance by our d that day. Everyone knew what was coming and they still got pushed back nearly every play.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Meh - I don't think any of us are "worried". As one poster put it, it was simple pandering by the author. Frankly, I think you & roundball are overreacting to the posts more than the other posters are to the article.

Hack writing by a local that writes his stories about state schools and includes pointless phrases/paragraphs about their rivals to create friction and garner page hits. He does it to all of us (UI, ISU, UNI). I just shake my head at some of what passes forsports journalism nowadays.

By reporting the final score and the single-most significant individual statistic from the game??? I'm not sure what constitutes sports journalism in your view, but if all you're after is a dispassionate listing of what happened, check the box score or the play by play.

For what it's worth, here's the AP's reporting on the locker room theft (it mentions the game's score...travesty!) and here's the AP's writeup of last year's game (those page-view whores mention Weisman rushing for 145 yards in the first sentance!).

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
By reporting the final score and the single-most significant individual statistic from the game??? I'm not sure what constitutes sports journalism in your view, but if all you're after is a dispassionate listing of what happened, check the box score or the play by play.

For what it's worth, here's the AP's reporting on the locker room theft (it mentions the game's score...travesty!) and here's the AP's writeup of last year's game (those page-view whores mention Weisman rushing for 145 yards in the first sentance!).

For someone who's not even a football fan, you are really getting worked up about this.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

The story was about a theft in a locker room. The theft occurred during a football game. The story was not about the football game. You really don't understand the difference?

I stand by my observation that the paragraph was unnecessary and pointless, but feel free to continue obsessing over my comment by doing web searches for relevant articles to back up your point that rushing yards should always be included in any story about football, however peripheral they are to the focus of the story. Knock yourself out.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
The story was about a theft in a locker room. The theft occurred during a football game. The story was not about the football game. You really don't understand the difference?

I stand by my observation that the paragraph was unnecessary and pointless, but feel free to continue obsessing over my comment by doing web searches for relevant articles to back up your point that rushing yards should always be included in any story about football, however peripheral they are to the focus of the story. Knock yourself out.

The story's about whatever Randy Peterson decides to report on; it's called journalistic discretion. Do you nitpick everything you read and remark on what you view as superfluous information?

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
Was it really necessary for the Rag to add "while Mark Weisman was rushing for 145 yards and helping the Hawkeyes to a 27-21 victory last Sept. 14." ?

I heard that wasn't in the initial article, but the editor of the Rag (big hawk fan/donor) threw it I'm there before going off to print.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
The story's about whatever Randy Peterson decides to report on; it's called journalistic discretion. Do you nitpick everything you read and remark on what you view as superfluous information?

From another thread:

Really, I've always been a Cyclone, I've just never been too invested in the football program because I'm not a huge fan of the sport in general.

So Roundball, why don't you just sashay back to the basketball threads if all us football fans are too sensitive for you. Simple enough solution.

Or, stick around and keep arguing about a sport you don't like, either way...up to you.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
From another thread:

So Roundball, why don't you just sashay back to the basketball threads if all us football fans are too sensitive for you. Simple enough solution.

Or, stick around and keep arguing about a sport you don't like, either way...up to you.

People love arguing about sports they don't like, see any soccer thread

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
From another thread:

I thought this thread was about a theft, not football. At least that's what people keep saying.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

I've been informed that the topic here is theft, not football. But since you're acting like some kind of authority figure, maybe you can let me know what the prerequisites are to participate in this discussion?

I also didn't realize that "not a huge fan" equates to "dislikes". Is there anything more I don't know about myself that you've been able to discern just from reading a few messages?

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Has anyone else wondered if "roundball" is Randy Peterson's screen name?

Yep, it's me, Randy Peterson. Here I am, criticizing myself multiple times:

I haven't read the article, but I all but stopped paying attention to Randy Peterson when Travis Hines started writing for the Ames Tribune. That's not so much of a knock on Peterson as it is high praise for Hines. I really, really enjoy his journalism and think he's got a very bright future.

Travis Hines is a very, very good sportswriter. He runs circles around Randy Peterson, with all due respect, and anyone else in the state. We should be thankful we've got a guy that good covering Iowa State and enjoy it while it lasts, because he'll be getting job offers left and right (if he's not already).