Proposed CIML Split

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
East, Hoover, North, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Indianola, Marshalltown and Ottumwa might split from CIML and form a new conference. Remaining 11 teams would still be part of CIML.

Not sure why Mason City and Fort Dodge wouldn't split too for competitive balance. however I don't really follow CIML sports so I'm talking out of my rear.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-indianola-pondering-new-conference/11390817/

Ottumwa should drop to 3A along with Fort Dodge and Mason City. Ames should join this new conference. Hasn't Ames'ss's's enrollment dropped considerably in the last 15 years?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Ottumwa should drop to 3A along with Fort Dodge and Mason City. Ames should join this new conference. Hasn't Ames'ss's's enrollment dropped considerably in the last 15 years?

Just FYI, you can't move down classification (e..g, Ottumwa can't move to 3A). You can move up but you can't move down.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Newton moved from 4A to 3A.

The lost enough students to be classified as 3A rather than moving voluntarily. If they still had >700 students they would have to be in 4A for football. Ottumwa, Mason City and Fort Dodge cannot move to 3A.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Ames'ss's's enrollment is around 1500, so no.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
East, Hoover, North, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Indianola, Marshalltown and Ottumwa might split from CIML and form a new conference. Remaining 11 teams would still be part of CIML.

Not sure why Mason City and Fort Dodge wouldn't split too for competitive balance. however I don't really follow CIML sports so I'm talking out of my rear.

Norwalk is about 3 to 4 years away from moving up to 4A in all sports. Right now they have some sports up in the higher and some in the lower. So I would imagine they will try to get in on the Split Metro. The old Metro that I played in made a lot of sense. It was all the Des Moines Schools. Then they started adding schools that made them have to travel a lot further for no reason. Economically it did not make sense.

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
Former marshalltownian checking in. I don't like the decision. I consider the CIML the best of the best, so leaving it just means you couldn't hang. I am not interested in all the talk about how they could be more competitive in a different conference with those metro schools. How about looking inward first and bringing in coaches that can make the programs better instead.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Good ol' angry Ribs.

According to

https://www.educateiowa.gov/data-reporting/data-reporting/certified-enrollment/school-district-certified-enrollment#Public_School_Districts

Unless I'm reading the spreadsheets incorrectly district enrollment is down. Quite a bit actually.

Angry? I answered your question. And that is data for the entire district, which is down.

When I went to Ames High in the early 90s, there were about 1200-1300 students. Now there are 1500. Math.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Former marshalltownian checking in. I don't like the decision. I consider the CIML the best of the best, so leaving it just means you couldn't hang. I am not interested in all the talk about how they could be more competitive in a different conference with those metro schools. How about looking inward first and bringing in coaches that can make the programs better instead.

I'm from Indianola and I struggle with the same thing. They haven't been competitive in football or basketball in at least 10 years. However, they were capable of winning a state championship in basketball in 2000 and having several teams ranked in the top 5 in the years before and after that. Football has always been tough but they managed to field some competitive teams.

I get that a town the size of Indianola, or Marshalltown for that matter, will have trouble keeping up with the WDM and suburban schools. Their talent pool is bigger and they are better funded. But that was probably the case to in years we've been competitive.

At the same time, after 7-8 years straight of getting our ***** kicked in everything, at some point you just wonder if you belong down a level.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Angry? I answered your question. And that is data for the entire district, which is down.

When I went to Ames High in the early 90s, there were about 1200-1300 students. Now there are 1500. Math.

In the last 4 years (which is a small snap-shot) Ames High went from the 10th biggest school to the 33rd by IHSAA. Regardless they clearly belong in the most competitive conference available.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
How about we just get rid of conferences all together in High School sports? They're such a waste of time and resources.

That's actually a good point. There's really no purpose they serve that I can think of. It's not as though you have to win your conference to go to state or anything like that.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
In the last 4 years (which is a small snap-shot) Ames High went from the 10th biggest school to the 33rd by IHSAA. Regardless they clearly belong in the most competitive conference available.

I also wasn't suggesting Ames drop classes.

I went to Ames in the mid 90's. HATED traveling all the way to Mason City for sports. Oddly, we also played Boone and Webster City in baseball.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I also wasn't suggesting Ames drop classes.

I went to Ames in the mid 90's. HATED traveling all the way to Mason City for sports. Oddly, we also played Boone and Webster City in baseball.
That's about an hour an a half drive (at bus speed). There are a lot of Iowa schools that go past the two hour point.