• Trim after mowing

Votes: 104 65.0%
  • Never trim

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
So some of the guys that trim first, but only trim once a month, are suddenly concerned about how their yard looks with long clippings left behind?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I trim before I mow. The reason being that you have all the taller grass laying in your yard/sidewalk. I blow the grass off the walks/driveway back into the yard. When you mow you then mulch all of it up so you do not have to rake.

This is correct. Trim and edge before you mow so your mower can chew up the longer grass clippings as you mow.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I trim almost every time I mow around my garage, house, swing set and rock beds. I only do my chain link fence once a month cause its a pain in the ***. I trim first, then mow.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
It seems like most of the comments are in favor of trimming first, but the poll results indicate a preference for mowing first.

Why are the mow-firsters such a silent majority? And what is the merit of mowing before trimming? I can think of none.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
It seems like most of the comments are in favor of trimming first, but the poll results indicate a preference for mowing first.

Why are the mow-firsters such a silent majority? And what is the merit of mowing before trimming? I can think of none.

Because they are imposters from HN.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
I just recently started doing it first. Great idea :yes:

Once you go that way, you'll never go back. Used to mow first, then trim. Then had to get the mower back out to blow all the trimmings off the sidewalk.

Don't understand the poll results. Those people are just wrong or young.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Who are these people who rake grass and/or blow it off the sidewalk with mowers? Most of you live in the midwest. It's windy in the midwest. Problem solved.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
City ordinance says so. :(
What city comes and enforces that. Seriously it will be gone within a day. Maybe it's different here because our neighbor has a forest of weeds that like to try and come through the fence and into our yard so people don't see it as the problem.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
After every mow I trim around the landscaping blocks to get the stragglers I can't get with the mower and then about every 4th mow I trim along the street and driveway which lets me mulch the clippings into the yard. So my answer would be C) Both.

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
Used to ALWAYS mow first...but then neighbor moved in who used to own his own landscaping company and noticed he trimmed first always...asked him why and he provided the same standard answer as above.

A...The final product looks nicer with the mower used as a mulcher for the long trimmings.
B...Less work if you use a nice trimmer with long reach...

I always trim first now...

Better question...

To bag or not to bag? I only bag about twice a year and if it is right before my son's birthday party or if I've been on vacation for awhile and the lawn clippings will look like s*** in the yard...

Other neighbors around me bag more often than me for sure...same neighbor said bagging is a no no with nutrients...

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I've never even heard of trimming first, but now, after reading all of the virtues of trimming first, I shall explain why the silent majority.

We really don't care nearly as much as you trim-firsters. Our bu++holes don't clench up at the thought of 'unmulched' trimmings, nor at the prospect of clippings on our sidewalks. Heck, we don't even really care that much if it doesn't look as nice. Does it look decent? Good enough. With that mindset, trimming last makes the most sense. You mow, then finish what you didn't get with the trimmer. Feeling a little lazy on cutting your tight corners with the mower? Well, got a little more trimmin' to do. Feeling even lazier? Welp, guess I ain't trimming this week. You trim first...no matter what, you still gotta mow. You trim last, and you run out of time...skip it, brah.

So we have been silent because we're sitting here trying to figure out who the heck cares. Voting, that ain't hard. Typing why we trim last didn't seem worth the effort until it went this long.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Used to ALWAYS mow first...but then neighbor moved in who used to own his own landscaping company and noticed he trimmed first always...asked him why and he provided the same standard answer as above.

A...The final product looks nicer with the mower used as a mulcher for the long trimmings.
B...Less work if you use a nice trimmer with long reach...

I always trim first now...

Better question...

To bag or not to bag? I only bag about twice a year and if it is right before my son's birthday party or if I've been on vacation for awhile and the lawn clippings will look like s*** in the yard...

Other neighbors around me bag more often than me for sure...same neighbor said bagging is a no no with nutrients...

I bag when there are leaves on he ground. Thats it.