Dom DeLira Commits

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Nice write up about him choosing Iowa State in the Austin American Statesman this morning. Also mentioned that Garrett Gilbert, Todd Reising :)idea:), Michael Brewer and Baker Mayfield preceded DeLira at Lake Travis.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
What happened in your life that made you express all your opinions which you appear unable to back up as facts?

Mark Mangino signed a two-year contract with ISU, might be that's the reference. At the time, I wondered why two years. . . .

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Mark Mangino signed a two-year contract with ISU, might be that's the reference. At the time, I wondered why two years. . . .

That would make sense, isuforlife would word stuff as predictions and back it up with facts rather than posting something that may very well have no rhyme or reason.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Not saying this to back the guy up, but its not such a far fetched idea that Mangino could be gone in two years.

Mangino may very well be gone shortly, but a certain poster always posts things as fact that are clearly his opinion and he is unable to back up.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Most coordinator contracts are for one or two years. I think one year renewed yearly is more the norm than two, honestly.

Oh, so two years is longer than the norm? That makes sense, then. I had thought maybe Mangino wanted only two years rather than more. But now that you mention it, one-year renewable seems standard. Thanks.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Mangino will be gone in two years

Yeah, just like Wally was only going to be around a year or two. Never know what happens, I'll bet the pressures of being a head coach aren't all its cracked up to be. Coaching with your son is a big plus. Maybe Mangino will be happy with Big 12 titles as a coordinator. :smile:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Mangino will be a hot item, but we already have one of those in Hoiberg, and he doesn't seem to want to leave. Ames is a really nice little town, with just the right amount of everything. Mangino has commented on how good Rhoads has it here, and Mangino is no spring chicken. Maybe he wants a place to settle down with little stress?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Mangino will be a hot item, but we already have one of those in Hoiberg, and he doesn't seem to want to leave. Ames is a really nice little town, with just the right amount of everything. Mangino has commented on how good Rhoads has it here, and Mangino is no spring chicken. Maybe he wants a place to settle down with little stress?

I think Hickory Park is our biggest selling point for Mangino. He loves that place.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
That could be a possibility. Mangino has made a ton of money in his past positions, so money is no incentive for him to move on. Free reign with the offense and getting to work with a great staff and a very nice community could be more important than getting a high stress job elsewhere. There are a lot of things more important in life than power and money, especially after he's had both.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
That could be a possibility. Mangino has made a ton of money in his past positions, so money is no incentive for him to move on. Free reign with the offense and getting to work with a great staff and a very nice community could be more important than getting a high stress job elsewhere. There are a lot of things more important in life than power and money, especially after he's had both.

Good point. If ISU has some modicum of success in the next few years, (say, a 7+ win season two years in a row) he will be worshiped as some kind of offensive god.

Also, this thread has severely gone off track.

4Ds0H.gif

Me State

Oct 19, 2007

The guy is an offensive genius. I could imagine him being very happy just running the offensive side of the game and not being a head coach again that has to worry about everything. If he has success, the university just needs to make sure to pay him what he deserves and hopefully he will have a happy life in Iowa for years to come.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

Just curious as to how you know that money is not an incentive for him. Has he said this?

Also, perhaps it's not always so much the "power", so to speak, as it is the desire to have creative license that a head coach so desires. I think that if Mangino was satisfied just position coaching, and not moving on up financially and professionally, he'd have stayed at Youngstown State, where he's lived much of his life and where he has family/friends. That would've been indication that he was content as a position coach not desiring more "power and money" as you put it. I will admit that I hope you're right if he can turn this ship around, though.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Just curious as to how you know that money is not an incentive for him. Has he said this?

Also, perhaps it's not always so much the "power", so to speak, as it is the desire to have creative license that a head coach so desires. I think that if Mangino was satisfied just position coaching, and not moving on up financially and professionally, he'd have stayed at Youngstown State, where he's lived much of his life and where he has family/friends. That would've been indication that he was content as a position coach not desiring more "power and money" as you put it. I will admit that I hope you're right if he can turn this ship around, though.

It's not smart to speak in absolutes, but it would seem like money is less of an incentive than it might be on average for a young up and coming coordinator whose last job was QB coach at UCF or something. Mangino has made millions and won't make be forced into a rash decision because he can't provide for his family, that's the point.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
One factor could be his son...if Mark does have success and gets a HC opportunity, it might be a chance for his son to become the OC...

Nothing but pure speculation, but family seems pretty important to all of the Mangino's so the opportunity to have the father/son combo for HC/OC might be too good to pass up.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
One factor could be his son...if Mark does have success and gets a HC opportunity, it might be a chance for his son to become the OC...

Nothing but pure speculation, but family seems pretty important to all of the Mangino's so the opportunity to have the father/son combo for HC/OC might be too good to pass up.

I don't think we will have to worry about that for a bit since his son is barely qualified for his job right now. (Not that he won't be good at it, he just doesn't have any prior experience).

I doubt a major college would let Mangino make his son OC after just two years of coaching.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
So stoked for DeLira committing. 2-year starter as QB in 5A HS football in Texas & Lake Travis' 5th straight QB to go D-1. Very impressive.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron