Fixing a Slow/Clogged Drain

TheCampanile

Jan 23, 2010
I am sure there are some qualified people on here to answer this, so I figured I would take a shot. I have a slow bathroom drain that has been slow on and off for a while. Plumbers have cleared it before, but it seems like the blockage is down in the pipes at least a few feet. It got slow again and my landlord is suggesting trying Draino/Liquid Plumber, but would this help at all given the blockage is down low?

I took apart the fixture under the sink and cleaned out the pipes fairly thoroughly, but it seems the problem is deeper in the pipes. Suggestions without calling a plumber?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Have you tried a plunger? Is it a sink or bathtub? I have three women in my house, so a slow drain usually means hair. Liquid Plumbr will dissolve it, or if I'm impatient, I'll use a bent coat hanger. That can be a nasty business, though.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Try drano or equivalent first from Lowes. It cannot be any harder on cast iron or whatever pipes you have than people reaming it out from your roof. Obviously it builds up time after time so your lines may be fairly flat. Maybe you have a dead mouse in the lines or a bush growing in with its roots.

TheCampanile

Jan 23, 2010
My concern is that it is in the deeper pipes and am worried that the drain cleaner will get caught in the pipes directly under the sink and be a huge mess if a plumber indeed does need to be called. I have cleaned out drains before, but usually no more than a couple feet in. This might be corrosion in the pipes down below.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Draino first then get a snake if that doesn't work, just had this problem with the washer drain not keeping up and overflowing the pipe and had to snake it out.

imaclone2

Jun 7, 2008
Sounds like a snake is needed this time, but once you have it cleared, spray water from your garden hose in the drain(s) to keep them unclogged.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
you should avoid "drano's" if possible. Buy a snake, 15'-25' long, and use that. I know in this day and age of laziness the work might be tough, but it is what is needed.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Snake or a wire clothes hanger or plunger and hot water. If its that bad where those dont work drano of any kind wont do much.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I start with hot water just in case you can loosen it. Then I try a snake.

Hint regarding kitchen sinks. Don't put a lot of potato peels down a disposal. They tend to clog beyond the disposal. We had to get a plumber - the clog was beyond the length of our snake.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Try a plunger first. I'd say drano is a last option if your house is old.

TheCampanile

Jan 23, 2010
you should avoid "drano's" if possible. Buy a snake, 15'-25' long, and use that. I know in this day and age of laziness the work might be tough, but it is what is needed.

Thanks for the advice. No problem doing the hard work, just have to figure out the right tools, and I will probably have to buy a good snake to get down there.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I am sure there are some qualified people on here to answer this, so I figured I would take a shot. I have a slow bathroom drain that has been slow on and off for a while. Plumbers have cleared it before, but it seems like the blockage is down in the pipes at least a few feet. It got slow again and my landlord is suggesting trying Draino/Liquid Plumber, but would this help at all given the blockage is down low?

I took apart the fixture under the sink and cleaned out the pipes fairly thoroughly, but it seems the problem is deeper in the pipes. Suggestions without calling a plumber?

In addition to the other suggestions, white vinegar is something cheap you can put down a bathroom sink/shower/tub to help keep the soap scum build up down. But if it seems like the blockage is deeper then you should invest in a snake.

First couple years with my wife, we had an unofficial Thanksgiving tradition of me snaking the pipes to remove a deep pipe blockage.

Finally convinced her that there are certain things you should not put down the disposal or toilet. Getting her trained has stopped a lot of my plumbing problems.

Good Luck.

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
553490d4-17bb-4478-8331-97bb9b1caccc_400.jpg

go to home depot and get one of these. go up onto the roof and stick this down the air vent pipe on the roof. turn the water on full blast. have someone in the house to watch the sinks and tubs. all your draining problems will be gone

* i had a slow draining sink in the house i bought last year. i tried everything under the sun and then came across this. from the sounds of it, your clog is deep into the main line

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
View attachment 26936

go to home depot and get one of these. go up onto the roof and stick this down the air vent pipe on the roof. turn the water on full blast. have someone in the house to watch the sinks and tubs. all your draining problems will be gone

* i had a slow draining sink in the house i bought last year. i tried everything under the sun and then came across this. from the sounds of it, your clog is deep into the main line

Honest question: if you use one of these and the clog is past the point where the vent goes up won't the water just come blasting up out of the drain of the sink/toilet/tub that is running slow?

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
if it was your crapper, I'd say get one of these
v4inNXM.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron