Klenakis impact

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Guess the gridiron club needs to buy CPR an Xbox and lessons so he can actually learn to "bond" with kids of that generation. Way better to hang out with your players and play pong or atari or galaga than work hard to make the program and all the participants successful at life stuff.

What the kids need is a trophy (maybe just a ribbon) for participation... That will make them feel special! Throw in a pizza party once in a while and CPR will be just one of the guys... Straight from the Saban book of Excellence!

No wonder he isn't resonating with them if these are the games he's playing. :jimlad:

(all awesome games, btw)

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
If Klenakis has been promoted to OC, we might've seen the biggest implosion of a D1 team ever. He would've turned us into a track team with all that running.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You can't just assume all kids don't like old school coaching now-a-days. I loved it and I'm not even 10 years older than most of these college players. Klenakis came in like a drill sergeant and wanted to change things around and was gonna hunt that problem down and snuff it out. His intentions were in the right place. He reminded me of my old high school coach in some ways. Very gruff. Very fundamental. You can't make a blanket statement about a coaching philosophy. If he's a jerk then he's a jerk, but I didn't get that feeling from watching him coach. He just demanded a lot.

edit: Also if your players aren't responding to your coaching, then its on the coach to make changes. Obviously not enough were made. I had some high hopes for Klenakis, just didn't work out. Not sure any of us have enough information to assume exactly what went wrong, but in the end, our line was bad.

Last edited:

clone26

Jan 30, 2009
DSM
www.explorethemetro.com
They can take notes from Hoiberg but Rhoads isn't known by anyone on the football team as a player's coach. He's from the "hard work makes you successful and if you're failing you need to work harder" mentality and it doesn't resonate with the players.

I have heard this from current players as well.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Again, that would say much more about our players than our coaches. Personally, I believe our guys to be of much better caliber than that, and given their inspired play at the end of the season...when the record was 1-9...it seems evident the players DO think the world of Coach Rhoads.

Last edited:

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
They can take notes from Hoiberg but Rhoads isn't known by anyone on the football team as a player's coach. He's from the "hard work makes you successful and if you're failing you need to work harder" mentality and it doesn't resonate with the players.

Bahaha I hope this post was intended just to spark laughter during the off season.

Rhoads certainly preaches hard work, but literally every comment we've heard out of the players indicates that they have a tremendous amount of respect for him. We've had more than one recruit state that Rhoads' passion and care for his players are some of the main reasons they choose to come to ISU.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
He's from the "hard work makes you successful and if you're failing you need to work harder" mentality and it doesn't resonate with the players.

If that didn't resonate with the players, they'd have to be complete morons. Which is why I believe you are full of crap. Hard work is precisely what makes someone successful, and if you aren't succeeding it is 100% correct that you DO need to work harder.

Often you need more than just hard work to be successful... with Mess's offense, inconsistent QB play and a weak OL they could work as hard as they want and still not be a successfull offense. Same thing for a defense with a bunch of converted safeties playing as undersized LBs and a lack of talent and depth on the DLiine.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Often you need more than just hard work to be successful... with Mess's offense, inconsistent QB play and a weak OL they could work as hard as they want and still not be a successfull offense. Same thing for a defense with a bunch of converted safeties playing as undersized LBs and a lack of talent and depth on the DLiine.

No one has said that we need ONLY hard work to succeed, just that it is a key to our success. Our talent is on an upward arc, particularly offensively, and the quality of our Offensive coaching staff is VASTLY improved....so those elements WITH hard work are what will make this team good. There are a myriad of factors that going into fielding a quality team...but none is more prevalent than hard work, not even talent.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't think it is news that Rhoads is a couch that is tough on his players. He also motivates them and shows that he actually does care about them. That is a key part.

But in general, I think the more friendly player coach dynamic is left up to the position coaches.

The head coach of a football team is a CEO and has less leeway to be friendly and easy going all the time.

Not that it hasn't bit Rhoads in the *** a few times. I think sometimes Rhoads puts too much pressure on certain players without balancing it as much as might be ideal, but nobody is perfect.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I have heard a lot of posters on this board are full of ****.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Guess the gridiron club needs to buy CPR an Xbox and lessons so he can actually learn to "bond" with kids of that generation. Way better to hang out with your players and play pong or atari or galaga than work hard to make the program and all the participants successful at life stuff.

What the kids need is a trophy (maybe just a ribbon) for participation... That will make them feel special! Throw in a pizza party once in a while and CPR will be just one of the guys... Straight from the Saban book of Excellence!

Is that the one with the LSU cover or the Alabama cover?

How-Good-Do-You-Want-to-Be-Mand-Brian-Curtis-9780345478016.jpg
sabanbook_medium.jpg

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Again, that would say much more about our players than our coaches. Personally, I believe our guys to be of much better caliber than that, and given their inspired play at the end of the season...when the record was 1-9...it seems evident the players DO think the world of Coach Rhoads.
You really gotta get up to beat Kansas and a WVU team that had given up.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
You really gotta get up to beat Kansas and a WVU team that had given up.

yes, because we were a whole lot better than Kansas, and had a whole lot less reason to give up than WVU did.

But we beat Kansas, and we didn't give up against WVU.

So, yeah, he inspired them. He got them up.

Does it make you feel better to take a crap on the players on the football team you claim to cheer for? They went out there and won. Don't be a ********.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
yes, because we were a whole lot better than Kansas, and had a whole lot less reason to give up than WVU did.

Does it make you feel better to take a crap on the players on the football team you claim to cheer for? They went out there and won. Don't be a ********.

Its a pattern with him. Im sure hes a bigtime donor with season tickets and a whole lot invested in the program so he feels hes entitled to be a ****.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
He's from the "hard work makes you successful and if you're failing you need to work harder" mentality and it doesn't resonate with the players.

If that didn't resonate with the players, they'd have to be complete morons. Which is why I believe you are full of crap. Hard work is precisely what makes someone successful, and if you aren't succeeding it is 100% correct that you DO need to work harder.

AMEN!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

I'm not crapping on the players. I can be a fan of the team but not a fan of the coach.

Help Support Us

Become a patron