Big 4 Classic nearing an end?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Because America is the Land of Opportunity, and we theoretically don't believe in this class-based removal of opportunity.

If the big schools want to keep their spot/prestige, let them continually earn it the same way as everybody else, and level out that playing field.

We all play under the same rules (for now). That doesn't mean we shouldn't have the ability to look out for our own self interest. There is nothing unamerican about that.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I don't think there is any way that we go back to a home and home with UNI or Drake.

If UNI isn't interested in a 2 for 1, they probably won't get a game with us.

The argument that paying them to come for home games is also worthless, we aren't going to sell more tickets because Hilton will probably be sold out for every game next year anyway.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I wouldn't be completely against a 2 for 1 with UNI, but Drake should only be coming to Hilton.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I can tell you that UNI will not do a 2 for 1. Its home and home or nothing. We've shown over and over that we can build an at large quality schedule without needing Iowa and/or Iowa State.

I'd love to see the home and home come back with Iowa State and never play Iowa again, but after this setup I think most UNI fans realize that neither one is ever coming back to Cedar Falls again. Fran and Barta took care of that.

UNI does play a guarantee game once every 3 or 4 years, but I would think what we command may be cost prohibitive for Iowa State ($200k from Syracuse in 2010 and $225k from Virginia last year). Doesn't make any sense for Iowa State when you can get the Northern Illinois and UMKCs of the world for $50k.

The only hope from a UNI perspective is the great relationship Jake and Fred have. That might be enough, along with Fred's Iowa ties, to put these series back to how they were...

One of the problems for games always being held at Hilton is that most UNI fans would not be able to attend the games because we would control almost all the tickets.

It seems to me that the Big 4 Classic is a good idea, but it wasn't implemented well. For instance, it wasn't a true tournament. Imagine the excitement if it was truly a tournament for the "state title?" I think they might even be able to charge the higher prices for tickets to that.

Or maybe the "play-in" games could be held at Hilton and Carver with the "finals" played at Wells Fargo a week later.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I hope it ends and if we never played UNI or Drake (or iowa for that matter) ever again, I couldn't have any less ***** to give. I'd rather see a home game or play a home and home with a major conference school.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I hope it ends and if we never played UNI or Drake (or iowa for that matter) ever again, I couldn't have any less ***** to give. I'd rather see a home game or play a home and home with a major conference school.

Me to, screw Uni and Drake, I wanna play BCS schools instead of those two scrubs.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The solution seems relatively straightforward, play both yearly in Hilton and write a check to them for more than we pay other non-conference teams that come to Hilton (which would easily be made up in single game ticket sales compared to the low major non-cons). Most years for us it will be two relatively solid RPI home games. For them it it is a decent check enhanced by a low travel cost. If either Drake or UNI isn't interested that's their prerogative.

One other option I wouldn't be completely against is to play Drake (or UNI) at Hilton every other year and at Wells Fargo the other in a stand alone event. The main problem with the Big 4 Classic is the ticket prices for the double-header. If tickets ranged from $15-40 instead of $25-70 you would get a lot more casual sports fans in Des Moines to attend a game. Everything Iowa State can do to cultivate the Des Moines market is a plus in my book.

There really wouldn't be an RPI bump for playing them at home. You NEED road games to help RPI

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
How can you say we're above them when we can't even beat them consistently? The sense of entitlement people have after just 3 good seasons is insane.

No kidding. What's wrong with playing at UNI/Drake every other year? I don't see a problem with a home-and-home series with either school.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think it's funny that we will schedule an away game with UMKC for our fans in KC but we likely have just as many fans in Des MOines and the Waterloo-CF area. I loved going to the games AT Drake and would much rather play Drake and UNI than a low to medium "high major" school like Auburn or Minnesota

That drive from CF or Des Moines to Hilton is a b i t c h.

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
Big 4 classic needs to end, it was never a good idea. If UNI or Drake want to play us, they need to come to Hilton.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I liked moving the games out of Knapp and McCleod originally, but am a little more indifferent now. With Cedar Falls being a lot closer to me than Ames, I'd selflishly enjoy moving the series back to a home and home. With Hoiberg, I don't think we'll have to worry too much about losing that game, and it will be a good opportunity for the ever-growing ISU base in this area to have an easy drive for a week night game.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I thought it was stupid when it started :shrug:

I don't have a problem with playing UNI and/or Drake. But never understood the allure of playing a neutral game close to another team's neutral game. :confused:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Also, I know it's stupid, but I kind of like being able to give KU **** about us not being afraid to play our in-state Valley schools.

Yes, I know Wichita State is a lot better than UNI and Drake...shut up.

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I don't see a problem with playing at UNI's or Drakes place every other year. Wasn't very long ago that UNI was running the state of IA in basketball. We barely beat them last year so i don't get how people think its so beneath us to play them on their own court. I'd rather ISU be the team that gives opponents a fair shot rather then a team like Duke (ex) who only plays at home or in nuetral venues that aren't that nuetral. Show a little class and respect to the other schools in IA.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Except if we cancelled we'd probably end up replacing that game with a cupcake and not a BCS school.

Whatever, I have an irrational hate to Iowa north aka UNI. Im meh on Drake don't really care about them at all.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
The reason I like playing at Drake, it allows non seasons ticket holder to see the Cyclones in an intimate setting, in our state's capital/biggest city. Typically one of my favor road games, I remember my pre-teen son waiting for Fizer's autograph after we lost to the Dogs in one of Tinsley's first game with ISU. One of only 4 or 5 losses in 2000.

cemarclone

Feb 6, 2014
Maybe the option is to play them home/home, but they have to make up the difference in lost revenues to ISU. They pay ISU the value of a home game in Hilton. Would likely mean they have to charge $100 per ticket, but too bad for them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron